Are the stripers in the Rivers yet?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Jun 3, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was wondering if the stripers have started their spawning run up the rivers yet? It always seems like I miss it every year...

2. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't have an answer to that...but if they haven't already, when they do how do you catch them? What do you use for bait, and fish main river or back waters?

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I thought they ran early spring like march or april but I wouldn't know White Bass run up the salt river out of taylorsville then.

4. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    They did run up in march, april. But you always have a few late ones...lol

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was under the impression that stripers went later than white bass, especially with this weird wet weather we have been having. I talked to a guy that said he knew a guy who was catching them up a tributary river of the Ohio at the first riffle. Not sure of the specifics so I thought I would ask. As far as catching them you can use live bait, chicken livers, and any kind of artificial baits you can think of with swimbaits at the top.

6. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ive been catching a LOT of 5-8 lb fish below cannelton dam on chartreus minnows. I love getting ahold of those things :)

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Are those hybrids or whites? Do whites get that big?

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Either hybrids or stripes, whites do not get that big. Whatever it is that would be a great fight!

9. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hmm. Im not too good at telling the difference in hybrids and stripers yet... Maybe this picture will help.

Attached Files:

10. jlawson435

jlawson435 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Was down at the falls of the ohio last week just looking at all the water pushing thru and just for the fun of it started throwing a zara spook just threw it out as far has I could and then let the 30 mph current grab it. Soon as it it the top of the water started reeling in caught 1o in maybe 45 minutes hen they opened another gate That was it. I was fishing from the bank.

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    that would be a hybrid! nice one too.