Are the okuma baitcasters any good?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by buddyodie, Apr 12, 2009.

1. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Just curious, I have thought about buying a couple of okuma baitcasters just to see how they hold up. Being an Abu fan forever, I am always sceptical of anything else especially in that price range. So a question for Okuma users and those who have tried them. Will / do they hold up or do they junk out after awhile?

2. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well, I have mixed thoughts on the okuma gear. My first question is, has the ABU reels ever failed you? I have several Abu's and one Okuma that I won in a raffle at the bait shop. I love my ABU'S and recently purchased another one. The Okuma I have was tried out on numerous ocassions and it did hold up. However I did not like the feel or size of this reel, It didnt cast well with heavy mono either. For the price you cant beat a Abu Garcia reel for catfishing. There are some that are more costly and some that are cheaper. In the end you get what you pay for. I am an avid fisherman and have caught some nice fish on the abu gear. Im not a big fan of jumping ship from my gear to other gear just because everybody else uses them. If you dont have a reason to purchase different gear then why waste your time and money. Just my opinion, you will have to make your own. Hope this helps.

3. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks Allen. No, my abus have never let me down. Just curious mostly. It just seems like they are popping up more and more in the tackle shops. Just thought they might be better than they appear to be. I have picked them up and I agree that they would be uncomfortable. As far as jumping ship, NEVER ! I love my Abus!

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have a coupla okuma 454 baitcasters that I have taken out a few times, I was thrilled when I bought them but in use I found them too big for my (limited) use. However, I don't know anything bad about them, they cast and reeled in like they should.
    I did not catch anything of size on them and they mostly just set in corner.:embarassed:
    I think they are worth their money but I recently went back to my old standby, Penn #9 levelwinds. I like their size and these were made in the usa.:wink:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i would recomend a okuma open face reel any day but when it comes to bait casters its ABU all the way i collect all kinds of reels but i use ABU's next in line is a penn penn is right up thear with abu but i finde theam to be a little harder to use

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Okuma Classic Pro 302L or 402L are tough to beat for $30.00. You can buy 3 or 4 for the price of a nice 6500c3 and it will take quite some time to go through 3 or 4 of them. Good luck.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    If they brake on you during the warranty period, you'll be okay but after that you'll be sorry. The parts are very expensive, WHEN they can be obtained.

IMO, stick with your ABU's

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    wouldnt know about getting parts because i havent needed any yet so they do ok. i used my 300cl for a few years and cought quite a few fish on it some in the 20-40# range. they the classics arent super smoothe but will get the job done.

9. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    i have a 200 okumathat has been abused for 3 years now its just a little bigger than a 6000 abu and i,ve caught fish to 40lbs on it holds up quite well for 23 dollars i also have 2 okuma avengers they work well and were only 26 dollars each but i would have abu 7000s if i could afford them thats my 2cents hope it helps

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Just like everyone else has said on here. They work just fine for catfishing. The abu's are better, smaller, and cast better. The okumas are big, cumbersome, do not cast as well, but tough and cheap.

IMO go with your Abu's and if you feel you need a larger capacity reel than a 6500, go with Penn.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I may be a bit biased, but I love my Classic Pro 302's. I think they work great.

12. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I am a die hard Abu man; wether catfishing or bass fishing I love them. Having said that, I do us a Okuma spinning reel & rod combo as one of my cat rods. I picked it up one summer on a trip to the coast and caugth tons of salt water catfish on it while there. I brought it home and have used it for a couple of years now and really like it.

13. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i used the 202l and 302l they are great reels but i went to the shakesphere arsenals ar15 i really love them and they are only 10.00 more than the okumas.

14. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    The only Okuma baitcast I have is the C45L, I use for sturgeon and ocean. No complaints from me or the Skippers that have casted for me. All my catfish reels are Abu with one Cattmax.

15. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    These seem to be good quality reels for the money. I guess their are some more expensive reels made by okuma but the classic and classic pro models are a bargin. I just bought a new classic pro 452l off of ebay for $30.It is a little bigger reel than im used to, but its alright. I may try a 302 or 202 next.

16. mrdodgeram

mrdodgeram New Member

State:
    WV
    All the reviews I've read about Okuma reels' have been positive. Not used one personally, I wouldn't be afrain to try one. If what you're using is working and you're satisfied, it would just be a personal choice by you to try anything different. Good fishing, keep the hooks sharp.
    Rick