Are the flathead catfish in the wintering holes?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 20, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never found a true wintering hole, but I wonder with these cool temps if the flatheads are already in the wintering holes.

If not we are supposed to hit close to 70 degrees next week, I might give them another shot.

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i dont realy think the water has cooled down that much yet its not stayed cold long at a time hear yet i think if your weather has bin like il. you still have a little time

3. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Id GUESS that we should still be able to get a few throughout the month of October but time is definitely running out FAST !!!

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    51 degree water temperatures on the GMR yesterday.
    I figured the flatheads would be off, but we did catch a 1.30 pound flathead yesterday. :smile2: Not too sure if that's a good sign, or if the guy is a little too dumb!

I'll be targetting them again Wednesday, on a different river though. I would assume this would be the last week we'd be able to get our fix of flatheads.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was out on Sunday and the Ohio was between 55 and 60 over the day where I was.

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I do think they are heading to deeper water but I dont think its over. It might be a little slower but I think we have some time left! Good luck to all Flathead addicts still chasing them!

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    until this batch of 60 degree days it was not knocking on wintering's door. But the water should get up in the mid 50's by the end of the week. Im going to try to get out today, if the gf lets me:smile2:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Yep,
    What he said...W

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    stay on them jack! we always managed at least a couple for our annual halloween video. last year, i believe the water was around the low 40s. thats lower than normal but i bet it will be like that again this year too. and yes we seem to do best around the deepest holes. cut bait also wins out at these temps more often too,but i dont need to tell you that do i. lol

10. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    i was out on my local lake a week ago (central indiana) and they have made thier way to thier winter holding spot, graphed a lot of them on the bottom in 38 fow, had one hooked up for about 5 minuts til it hung up on somthing and broke off. two decembers in a row my boat has seen two over fourty lbs, the one i caught was on a swedish pimple tipped with a minnow jigging for walleye, decided to go back with the aquaview and discovered a pile of big flatties, a few mor weeks and hope to get it on video.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    got out today for a couple hours and didnt get a commit on a bait. Fished water from 8ft down to 30.