Are the catfish still biting?

Discussion in 'IOWA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by slim1, Jun 26, 2009.

1. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Just wondering if the catfish are still active and biting, or are you guys seeing the bite slow down yet? I'm going to go out to saylorville and fish from maybe 3:00pm to midnight in the boat on Saturday. Want to try the drifting thing. Any reports?

2. aicenbice

aicenbice New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i'm not quite sure about saylorville, but at the coralville res, channels and flats have been biting pretty heavily on pretty much whatever you throw out, worms, cut bait, live bait, stink bait. the carp population is starting to thin out there as well, so that gives you a bit more time in the water w/o getting your bait stolen. i watched a guy a couple weeks ago bring in a 25lb flathead, middle of the day, off of a worm...so that's my 2 cents...just got a call, so i'm heading out to the ia river to see if i can catch something.

-andrew

3. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Was out there Friday morning and caught over 100 cats in 4 hours. We could barley keep two poles in the water. I have been fishing for 30 plus years and this by far was my best day of cating ever. They were hitting our rigs as soon as the bobbers where hitting the water....me and my friend have never seen anything like it. We had so much fun that we invited a couple of others out on Saturday morning and caught 4 fish in the same areas!!! Here was the differences between Friday and Saturday:

• No wind on Friday and tons of it on Saturday
    • Saturday was so windy could not troll the toon under .5 mph
    • Water was up about 1 foot on Saturday vs Friday
    • Firday had no sun all day while satruday was party sunny
    • Bermetirc Presure was the same each day (steady)
    Are normol spots did not produce the lake on friday lake is about 3-4 feet above normal pool. We caught all our fish under 4 foot of water like always though. Know where there is a island in the middle of the lake that is above water during normal pool but was flooded this week after last weeks rain. We could see cat tails on top of the water everywhere we looked....it was a pretty awsome site.

Did you have any luck on Saturday night?

4. slim1

slim1 New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Saturday evening was good. Caught maybe 8-10 cats in about 2hrs. The bite seemed to slow down after dark. They were biting best about 5-8pm. All on shrimp! Thanks for the tips, it really helped. We basically used bobbers and shrimp about 1-2ft down, lobbing it up into newly flooded vegetation just down from, and on the same side as Jester park. We would just let the trolling motor move us along slowly and cast almost like bass fishing.

5. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know exactly where you are talking about, we also took a few cat out of there before we went to the sunken island. It was about 6 foot deep there as a bunch of nice flooded vegetation along the shoreline. River channel runs right along that shoreline than heads east once you get past jester creek campground.

Glad you got into some.