Are the catfish spawning in Ohio?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dad, Jun 18, 2006.

1. dad

dad New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i fished the ohio river saturday night from 7 in the aft. till 5 in the morning. i caught 2 flats 1 small one and one 34 inches. i did not catch any channels not even the small ones .....

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If not I think they are very close to spawning.

3. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So when the fish are in spawn I might as well not fish? And how long does this go on for?

HS

4. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Get out the 20 ott Gamagatsu treble hooks!!! J/k

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I think they are spawning, the last 2 trips i have taken to the Ohio, the bite was REAL slow, it should be getting better anytime, i would think

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    QUIT COMPLAINING.:big_smile: You all could be MELLON in which case the fish are spawning every time he goes fishing.If you caught anything you are way ahead of the game.:lol:

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Good point Jim, I guess i better thank my lucky stars..LOL:big_smile:

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother, nice to have another new member.

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    It all depends on where you are fishing and the body type of water... Lakes generaly go into spawn later in the summer ( Around July 10-Aug 1 ) and in rivers and creeks it is usually earlier around late june to late july... mostly depends on the water temp. they usually start spawning when the water hits about 70's hope this helps... oh yeah and they all dont spawn at the same times, certain times blues are under, channels, and shovels.. very seldom do they spawn same times from what i have observed.

10. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Flatties are spawning' its been pretty slow here' catching a few juveniles.Caught a couple between 14 to 20lbs and they were pretty scared up.Hopefully in a week or so they'll pick up unfortunately the turtles have been murder lately

11. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I know me and my bro caught a channel a month ago with an egg sack in it.

12. TeamHiteCatfishing

TeamHiteCatfishing New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Myself and two other boats fished this past Sat night. We caught alot of fish upriver from markland dam. Mainly flats one channel all on cut shad, boated 8 flatheads and a channel in three hours of fishing. I believe spawn is just starting. However im not an expert just love to catfish!

13. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think some have already spawned out, I caught 3 this morning in the GMR. A 27#, 13# and a 10#. 2 weeks ago I caught one full of eggs. I think over 1/2 of the fish have already spawned out and the other 1/2 are on the beds now. 2 more weeks spawn will be done IMO.

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Wow! this thread goes way back to 2006

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats ok, I was wondering about the bluecat spawn in The Ohio right now.... some say they're just starting- some say they're done which is it?

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Don't think they all spawn at the same time, that's the nice thing about catfishing.. you will never see all of one species spawning at one time..JMO!!! It seems to me, They change where they haunt as they spawn out. But some will always be biting..maybe not the big one ..

17. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i thiny thay are about done the blues that is. I have not got to do as much fishing this year because of a divorceand moving and stuff but the times i have been out i have noticed that some started early i think that the blues are about done i was out the other night and we got 16 blues 8 to 29 pounds and thay were tore up alittle and a little skinney but in my opinion thay are about done now the flatties are starting 2 spawn now i think thay are just starting but thats my opinion

drpepper likes this.
  18. Cannibalcritter

Cannibalcritter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flatties spawn in 70 to 75 degrees and the river i fish they r spawning. I went out last night cought a 6 pounder. Seems like right now all im catching is young punks

19. CutBaitKyle

CutBaitKyle New Member

State:
    Ohio, Rittman
    We were fishing salt Fork last weekend and got skunked, not to sound big headed, but we have never been skunked there. haha. a lot of tiny bites. It seems like middle july is when the channel cats slow down for a couple weeks in this lake. I belive they are spawning. things should pick back up in the next week or two (i hope so anyway).

20. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    BOTH ARE RIGHT