Are the Catfish Safe to Eat?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead willie, Apr 30, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Guys & Gals,
    I was told by a friend that there was a warning on the news that you shouldn't eat fish out of Virginia rivers because of Mercury. Has anyone else heard anything about that? I hope it's just a nasty rumor.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is a true rumor, Be carefull when eating the fish. You should try eating the smaller ones cause they haven't been around long enough to be contaminated!!!

3. flint4045

flint4045 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Is mercury in all of va rivers or just some. Where did the mercury come from in the first place? Industrial pollution most likely? I saw a warning posted on the ramp of the mattaponi in aylet about mercury . I thought that it was an isolated incident.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    No, It isn't isolated. Big business has seen fit to profit from this activity over the years and it doesn't just go away.
    If it only costs them 25,000.00 a day to pay the fines for getting caught polluting the water systems, why should they pay a contractor 50,000.00 a day to haul off the hazardous waste to a proper waste facility. As long as the EPA follows these fines on big business it will continue.

5. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
  6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am close to being conveinced that the only safe catfish to eat is those raised by commercial fish farms. I was in Va. in the 1970's when the James had the keopene poisioning and effected all the fish and crabs from I believe Lynchburg down to and including the Chesapeake bay. I am not only talking catfish, but the spots, crokers, crabs, flounders, blues, sea trout...anything swimming in those waters. I loved the Cheasapeake and have wondered at times if it has ever recovered. At anyrate, practice CPR and get your cats from a farm. lol

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Is it just me or are the farm raised cats mushier? I don't think they taste as good. It's the same with Trout. I love the wild ones but I'm not too crazy the store bought ones. I don't enough wild ones to worry about it, anyway. Besides, I know one thing: You ain't going out of here alive! Most of the cats I eat come from The James, above Glasgow, where the state says they are OK to eat.

8. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    try to find some of the smaller creeks that run throughout va...cats are very tasty to me and without the problems of river fish

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Mercury is a heavy metal and does'nt go away, I believe. N.J. has warnings not to eat the fish caught or to only eat a certain amount.

10. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Things like this is when fishermen not need to set back and let it go. get a thing going have all virginia fishermen and women sign it in favor of making more stric laws on business doing this make them do what should be done not what should not be done.

We don't by fishing permits tackle and so on that the money gos to game and inland along with other resources to get our virginia waters safe and clean for the fishermen and all of the public.

Push them hard protest game and inland to do something to stop this stuff from being done. it's your right your money and the water you fish. i say give them hell send them emails letting them know how you feel about it. it's us sitting back not saying nothing that has let it get where it has got stand tall stop it all.

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I can't believe we let this happen. Besides the Mercury, PCB's, etc., look at all the polutants from farming with chemicals, runoff from highways and railroads, and the stuff that gets in the water from waste water treatment plants that were built in flood plans. Look at all the chemicals that are moved by train. Are there any rivers in this country that DON'T have tracks along them? Trains wreck, spills happen. In this area and many others, cattle are allowed the graze right up to the edge of rivers and streams. Houses are built right along the shores of most lakes in this country. Look in the sheds and basements of those houses and you'll see hundreds of chemicals, used on lawns, mowers, pets, and building products that eventuly find their way into the water systems. It's a shame! It all goes back to The Golden Rule: "Them that have the gold, make the rules!" The lawmakers and big companies don't give a damn what happens to the water, fish, game, or people....as long as they are making money. In some places the damage is already irreversable. The only thing that can save what's left is for all sportsmen and women to raise hell with their lawmakers to change the way things are done.

12. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Your right on the money brother. i guess all of us virginia brothers and sisters are going to have to team up and start slinging emails to game and inland letters and maybe afew meetings. letters to the govener may also help out.

I have had afew sall talks with game and inland in the past about things like this. where i do a small part of back work for them. the reply i got was when enuff fishermen and things like that start showing that something needs done then it will get done. but like they said not enuff fishermen and women are showing it bothers them for them to really worry about it.

Goto the game and inland website for virginia and send in the emails send emails to the natural water resource office and marine life resource office.

Lets see what replys we get back and make copys and post them.

13. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    My email to game and inland has been sent.

When i recive there reply to it i will copy it and post it up on this thread. not unless others are willing to jump in and email and send letters to game and inland about whats being let go.

Then if others jump in we can make a thread just for the posting of the replys we get from whatever source we contact about the things let done to the waters.

Thank you to any who is willing to try and get something done.

14. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I do try hard heres the reply that i got when emailing game and inland . took 2 days to get it. but they say the main link to contact the main ones over this in virginia are the link added. would like to see more try and do there part also.

I certainly appreciate your concern for water quality issues and the
    health of Virginia lakes, rivers, and Bay.
    The Agency that has the regulatory authority for water quality is the
    Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). We here at game and
    Inland Fisheries work very closely with DEQ and try very hard to get
    them comments and review permits that they issue that will affect water
    quality, but they still have the final say about the standards,
    permitting, and enforcement. I suggest you send you message to DEQ so that
    they know your feelings and can respond to your concerns. Their web site
    is as follows: http://www.deq.state.va.us/

Again, I appreciate your interest and concern, and hope that your
    comments are taken into consideration as DEQ develops and enforces the water
    quality laws and regulations of the state. They do need to hear from
    all of us that share your concerns.