Are the Buckeyes really #1?

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by MattShannon, Oct 21, 2007.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Nothing against the Buckeyes or any of there fans. They are a good fb team, but come on. Who have they played? Who will they play? If they're #1, Hawaii should be #2. OH may finish undefeated and get a title shot. If WVU had that schedule, they would never in a million years get a title shot for going undefeated. Not bashing, just curious what you guys think.

2. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Boilerman I feel your pain. But............The big Ten has been around a long, long time. OSU still has Mich. , Illinois, and Wisconsin to deal with and if they are undeafeated they deserve a BCS title berth. Just hopin my LSU Tigers are the opponents

3. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The bucks and Lsu That would be a helluva game.Are the Buckeyes number one Im not sure But if they do run the table they should be in the national championship.I along with most college fans want a playoff system of the best 4 to 6 teams.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Are the Buckeyes number 1 well lets ask the BCS,COACHES,SPORTS WRITERS,USA TODAY POLE AND THE HARRIS POLE. The answer they gave is yes!:wink:

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Gators don't think so. but it's early yet...

6. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Jerry dont be a hater and live in the past!:wink:

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    seriously? the bcs is a freakin' joke! there is no clear #1 untill we have a playoff system in place.

no offense ohio bucks, but yall would not be undefeated with an sec schedule.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    While I would partially agree that there is no clear #1 without a playoff and that the BCS is a joke but they are the rule right now and according to the rule they are number one. What I would dissagree with is that they wouldnt be able to go undefeated in the SEC schedule. You cant tell me that every team the SEC plays is hard they have thier pansies just as much as the BIG TEN/PAC/BIG EAST. Now this year wouldve they gone undefeated I doubt it but there have been year that they wouldve IMO. Im not trying to say that SEC isnt good cause that aint true but most of the times that Ive seen one team from another conf get beat is cause they dropped the ball and did it badly. Take the NC last year I think OSU could have played it alot better than they did, what happened I think it was beeing to pumped of thier own crap. Troy thinking he was all that pffffft and Gin/Gonzo thinking they were the next best thing. They are good but I think they just didnt relize that there were other teams out there that were just as good if not better. OSU dropped the ball big time and it showed.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Another reason I think they are #1 is they have beaten the teams they were supposed to beat and did it soundly. The rest of the teams out there are strugling either due to parity or just lack of talent. They didnt look pretty this last game but they got the job done without the usual nail biting that Tressel is known for.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Well, my Buckeyes are ranked number 1 but, true enough they don't have to play the SEC schedule. Of course I don't believe anyone can make it through the SEC without a loss. I watched my Buckeyes and the defense allowed 3 points. True the offense about made me say CcccRRRrrraaaaaAAApppP! OK I did say it... sort of. Did anyone watch the LSU game? The other team had it wrapped up... except they had absolutely lousy clock management. I wonder who made the genius decision of kicking a squibb kick giving the Tigers the ball on the 50. I will say it was exciting.

Who has everyone lost to? Have they lost to powerhouses? I don't think so.
    Ohio State will have it's trials and tribulations and in my opinion, while there is and never will be a clear cut #1 until a playoff system is created, if the Buckeyes win out against PSU (ranked), Illinois (was ranked), Wisconsin (was ranked), and Michigan (once #5 and now ranked again) and given our win against Purdue (was ranked), I believe we will be a legitimate contender, at least as much as everyone else.

I don't know why our schedule worked out the way it did this year, but with our history of playing Texas, our annual finale with Michigan, and our future schedules of USC, we can hardly be accused of a cupcake schedule. I have complained since I was a kid about the scheduling of the likes that Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Fla, Fla St, and Miami(FL) They won Nat Championships consistently and blew out no name opponents with scores of 70 -10. One thing I admire (and curse) about Coach Tressel, is the fact that he allows an opposing team a modicum of pride by NOT running up the score.

Now, come NC time this year, IF my Buckeyes are blessed enough to make it there, I doubt very much that we will be embarassed the way we were last year. We have a big chip on our shoulder (deservedly so)

By the way, the combination to the lock going into the weight room this year, I heard was 31-17.... or whatever the final score was. Do you think that might motivate us? :wink:

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't remember the 70 to -10 score, but I do remember a bunch of years ago one of something like 62 to 0. Ask the Gophers. LOL

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    allright fair enough it is possible to complete an undefeated season in the sec. my AUBURN TIGERS did it a couple years ago. my biggest problem with osu's schedule is the abundance of "were ranked" teams. allthough i cant hold it against anyone in particular. yall made a heckofa point about those years when florida state/miami/etc. beat up a bunch of jr. colleges and then played for a title.

of course we have our pansies too, just not as many of them.
    i think michigan has about the usual chances of an upset.

yes, i watched every stupid second of the AUBURN lsu game. we played our pants off (both teams), and tommy tubbs screwed it up with the da@$$ squib kick. not to mention not challenging the spot a couple of plays ahead, which was clearly a #%$#@% . but, all in all i am not totally unhappy, my boys hung in there untill the literal last second, against arguably the best team in the country.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    If you think Ohio State shouldn't be there... You are really gonna be mad when Kansas is playing for the National Championship!:wink: We gotta run the table first:crazy:, that includes beating Missouri and probably Oklahoma in the big 12 champ game.

14. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,

I meant it is not possible to make it through the SEC THIS year undefeated (There are no SEC teams yet undefeated right?)

Earlier this year I witnessed USC's destruction of Nebraska. I saw Cal earlier and loved the two RB's and 1 WR. I watched LSU destroy someone earlier. I predicted the Texas loss.

I'd hate to think what the Buckeyes record would be if they had played LSU's schedule to date.

That said, OSU lost 90% of its offensive production from last year. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

That said..... I'll take where we are and gladly.... I am just not betting the house that it will stay that way.

You gotta love college football AND hoops!

15. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i think i just did a double take. how ridiculous am i getting for boasting about a conference who has no undefeated team, and even more so my team auburn has 3 losses.

kansas? your joking right?

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I hope Jay was joking. But you gotta admit, Kansas is not use to being where it is at currently. Seems like they didn't play Texas or OU this year, so thats two losses they avoided. lol

17. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Bottom line is we are ranked #1 untill we get knocked off we are the #1 team in the country. Oh by the way any given saturday guys and anyone can get taken down, you just have to take care of buisness and move on to the next. One game at a time. So for all you hatters sit back and hope cause ill be hopeing not!:wink::big_smile: Thats why we play the game!!!!!!!!!:wink::big_smile::cool2:

Go Bucks!!!

O-H

18. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    IO

:smile2:

There are those that have not that want.... :wink:

19. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hate to say this, 'specially since I'm a big Buckeye fan, but this weekend really has me nervous...

Happy Valley isn't such a happy place sometimes.

20. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    It is a tough place to play Jerry b.