Are skipps moving here in ohio?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by catmanofohio, Oct 12, 2009.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Anyone know if the skip jack are running here in ohio yet? been seeing a lot of movement here on the river cant figure out if they are skips or shad? looks like huge drops of rain hitting the water, in the creeks coming into river?

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They're probably skipjacks.
    I've caught several in the cast net all along random bank spots of the Ohio lately. They're moving around pretty good. Still nothing big yet though, all in the 4 - 6" range.

3. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    throw some jigs or a sabiki and find out!

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was down by the Green up L&D the other day and i didn't see any or catch any but i wasn't there long. reports i have gotten are that with the spring and summer being the way it was with the weather that they didn't spawn well this year and the numbers are low. i am really wanting to get my hands on some for the winter, so if anyone has seen or heard different let me know.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Matthew
    There is a hot water discharge at the Aberdeen power plant. You should be able to catch some nearby there any time of year. Hope this helps.

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    thanks guys, yeah ken i live like 5 mins from there, me and a buddy went down there last night and i caught a 7 or 8 lb channel, he caught a gar about 2 foot long in my throw net, and we got a bunch of small shad between 2" and 4" a guy then came down right before dark and started catching alot of decent skipjack about 6" - 14" long just for fun, he drives about 70 miles to come down and fish for them, doesnt keep them , he just debarbs his hook and reels real slow so they get off... lol he gave us one while we were talking to him that was about 12 inches long. Im going to go back down later about 5:00 and see how many i can catch... keeping them in my freezer for this winter... thanks for all the info guys!

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I see you havent posted anymore info, I live in Georgetown and have been pounding the heck out of the discharge for the past month and have been skunked every time. went today and the hybrids were there but skippies once again zero so I headed across the ferry to augusta and headed to the dam. Also a big zero and talked to a few skippy fishers there and they have been getting skunked a bunch this past few months. Dam where they at.