Are Skipjack like little Bream

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by DemolitionMan, Jun 23, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I hope not....I caught a little one down at the lake this morning and put it in a freezer bag to keep for cutbait....Forgot about it in the trunk of the car.....I remembered it tonight while I was fishing and it was "cooked" to the bone....You couldn't even put it on a hook...It came all to pieces....lol.....Oh well....Better luck next time with the memory....Dwight

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, you're more likely to confuse a largemouth bass with a catfish than confuse a skipjack with a bream. Skipjack look like baby tarpon; bream are shaped more like crappie or white bass (permit or pompano if you're a salt water buff).

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    jtrew,

I was refering to the texture of the flesh if left in a ziploc in hot temps.....My little bream came to pieces and was mushy....Dwight

4. Shep

Shep New Member

State:
    Lamar Arkansas
    Skipjack dont last to long unless you freeze them

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    At least you remembered it before the bag exploded, LOL!!!
    I believe that skipjack start to decay as soon as you get them out of the water. They need to be kept cold the whole time, until you freeze them. I like to vacuum seal mine asap.
    I have also learned to not let them set in the ice and water, this will make them mushy. I put ice in the bottom of the cooler, thenput a large trash bag in the cooler to hold the Skips.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, thanks for the info guys.....I'm gonna do basically two things....I'm gonna try to get anywhere from a quart/gallon of Skipjack oil and then I'm gonna try to preserve "cutbait" in vacumed sealed mason jars....I'm not sure how many skipjack I'll have to have, but experiance will tell.....I'd also like to take the small ones(if any) and do the "Jim Moyer" deal on them and try the fish/freeze method....Fishing with what I need at the time and freezing the rest.....I'm not sure how/whether that will work....But Jim Moyer says he puts his skipjack in a gallon freezer bag(whole) and lets them sit in the "fridge" for 3-5 days to let the blood/oil move closer to the top of the skin...He says the "blues" seem to take the bait a little better than fresh....Don't know, but I'm gonna try it....My Nephew caught a 36# and a 44#'er on "limblines" the other night....He showed em to us and he had cut the meat out of the "best" places and left the rest....Kinda got my panties in a wad.....The fish was probably older than he was....I think I made him feel a little bad.....lol....Dwight