Are penn 209 just trolling reels?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katphish, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I just bought a penn 209 and i was wondering if it was meant to be casted or if it is just a trolling reel?

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I think its a trolling reel, I will tell you though, Im not a fan of it at all

3. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    With a little practice you can cast it just fine. I have a 209 and a 309 and they cast allright[ with practice ]. Because of a back injury I just started using mine again after 4 years of letting them set and I'm having to get used to them all over. grizzly

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Around saltwater you will find people who with patience and practice successfully cast ALL of the Penn reels.It has been going on for all of my 55+ fishing years.peewee-williams

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I cast mine and like the others have said it takes some practice. It is a good reel though. It is also a good reel for drift fishing.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have several penn reels from the old #9 & #60 to the newer 309M and I think they cast like any other bait caster but I think all bait casters takes a little practice an adjustment to the amount of weight you're casting.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, I have a bunch of Penn's and after practice I can cast them as far as any other baitcasters.

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Can you cast a 209 Penn? Heck yes!!!I've never checked how far I could cast a 209 but one time and it was a cold day with the temp at 28deg.The reel had been in the back of my truck all day and I had it spooled with 50lb mono but I was able to cast 225 ft.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have been casting 209's for years and have little problems with them, they are great reels and last forever. Oil them up a little and keep em clean and you will have great service for years to come.

10. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Andy, it will work either way! Congratulations, you now own one of the most durable, strongest, and dependable reels for catfishing made.....of course that is my own biased opinion. :big_smile: You've got yourself a nice reel.

Larry

Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

11. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    For me a penn 209 is the only reerl for catfishing. But it depends on the application. 209s (and quality MH rod)are the best reel when big river fishing for its abillity to reel in big fish in heavy current.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I sure hope they are good reels. I found one in great shape at a yard sale yesterday mounted on a ocean city rod 5.5 feet boat rod and both are in excellent shape. I had to pay 20 bucks for the whole set up.:lol:

13. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    wow! steal of a deal! 209's are great, they are powerful, plenty of line capacity, and they are Penn's- they'll last forever

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sounds more like a "GIFT" for $20.00.Have fun,peewee-williams

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    In my area, the 209 is under $60. Much cheaper than a Abu 7000 and it'll do the same things, maybe even more. A friend who's a former charter boat captains says they're bullet proof. He used to keep them on hand for clients, not much they could do to mess one up and they hold up well. Now, he owns two that he uses to go after monster gar. He casts them, and what a cast!

16. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    Penn reels are excellent reels that when taken care of will last a lifetime. good choice man

17. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    When I chased channels in lakes (and if I still did) then penns were really overkills, and used garcia's and the like with 20-30lb lines.

If a guys gonna use Penns it is worthwile to go ahead and order some parts and learn to strip them down and clean/replace on a regular basis. Parts are really cheap. Dont let someone else do it (in my opinion), as the levelwinds will wear out and the last place to have that happen is when fish of a lifetime is on! They dont tollerate sand well as the levelwind cogs are easily damaged.

I try to buy my penns from dealers who are thoughtfull enough to have spare parts on hand-even if I pay a little more, I appreciate thier service that much.

18. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Couple a years ago I spent 200 bucks on a Penn Mag 525 figured it would then be my best reel and cast reel, well it now sits in my garage mostly!

Not that 209s are the best, but for the money they cant be beat.