Are out of state fishing licenses getting too expensive?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jeremiad, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I paid for the West Virginia license that was required: five days fishing, law enforcement stamp, national forest stamp, and trout stamp: total, $46.00!

I kept wondering why fishing just wasn't enjoyable this time, then I realized: I was working to make up for the $46.00 invested. At the end of my vacation, I decided not to fish WV anymore--at least not solo for enjoyment.

The first time I fished WV was simply to take my daughter out and do something enjoyable. The cost, however, is too prohibitive in my opinion to do this anymore.

I realize that the fisheries and game wardens need to get paid, but with trout seasons disappearing (going year-round), and more restrictions being levied all the time, I'm becomingly increasingly committed to remaining in-state.

Maybe I'll reconsider for a gathering out there somewhere. What do you think?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My opinion, no - the cost of out-of-state license is not to high. BUT, the cost of gasoline to get out of state is prohibitive. It is our choice to fish out of state, and anytime choice is involved, it generally gets expensive.

3. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Missouri has a 1/8th of 1 percent tax on "everything" (I think) sold in this state. Therefore everyone, the bird watcher, the bycyclists and everyone else pays for our conservation programs. We still buy license and sometimes out of staters complain they are being ripped off because of the "recipricol privilege act" which means we are supposed to charge non-residents the same for license as they charge Missourians. It doesn't work that way but it was the original intent......Are license fees to high, apparently NOT. I live next to the Osage Buff Marina access road on Truman Lake and about HALF the boats I see are from out of state.......Now about those gas prices..........?

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dude, I hear ya, I travel for my job and love to trout fish so Im alway buying a different states license and worse yet, a trout stamp, this is funny but last year I had to give up fishing in WV and Tenn both, as you are right, 46 for WV and my yearly Tenn License is ( or would be) 81.00 for the year long license, so both states are on boycott.( as is Penn since a year license there with National Forest, Great lakes and Trout and salmon stamp is like 60 bucks.) Dont tell the wife but last year I shelled almost 800 bucks in out of state licenses!!!! (no, Im not exagerating!!)

Now of course when Im traveling for work, the gas, food, lodging and such is covered so I usualy dont complain but it is rediculus!! All I have to say is that I have now fished in 39 states and canada.

Like I say, Have fish, will travel!!

Salmonid

5. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I believe they are definately too expensive. what do they do with all that money? Keep the water clean? I have never ever seen in my entire life any state funded clean up effort or anything such as that on a body of water, excluding when a oil tanker spills millions of gallons of oil in the water. All I ever see are these jerks riding up on me ruining my fishing hole hastling me.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    $46 does seem pretty steep for 5 days of vacation, but only you can decide if it's worth it. Some of the state parks around here charge you $25+ for a night of camping, and that adds up pretty fast, too. It's getting to where I avoid the state parks.

I live right on the border of 2 states, and every year I buy both licenses. The out of state one is over $40, but spread out over a year it doesn't seem too bad.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I don't think out of state license are too expensive. I pay 40 bucks to fish Ohio for a couple days and 40 bucks to fish kentucky. There is alot of funding needed to run a states DNR program. You have conservation officers, biologist, educators to teach our children the importance of conservation, vehichles, buildings, secretaries, upkeep on land, workers at the state parks, raising fish for stocking programs (which can be very expensive but I don't hear anybody complaining about that). And i'm sure i've missed stuff. As you can see that stuff adds up. I would rather the people coming into my state to fish pay more to fish than lower that price and raise my taxes to compensate. In the days of deforestion, global warming, polar ice caps melting, protecting our outdoors is becoming an increasingly expensive task. Just think of it this way. The 46 bucks you spent to fish in WV helped to ensure that your grandkids can some day be ripped off by the state to fish :lol:

8. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    BTW, WV non-resident fishing license for a year is $66. Of course, Virginia isn't any cheaper; in fact, they split freshwater licenses from saltwater--so you better know where the rivers' fall lines are!

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I live in Arkansa and pretty close to the border of Oklahoma. I primarily fish Oklahoma. I don't know if other states offer this but I purchased a non resident lifetime fishing license on 3-10-1995 for $250. That was a lot of money at the time but was well worth it. The yearly non resident fishing license now in Oklahoma is $37 with an additional $5 fee for a total of $42. This is an option some of you may want to check up on it will save you money in the long run.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Be glad you're not buying any non-resident hunting liscenses. They're 3-4 times higher than a fishing liscense is.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

western North carolina has some good trout waters, rainbow, and the out of state angler doesn't pay all that much. Before we moved up here we vactioned and a three day out of state was about 4 dollars. I think South Carolina has a five day for 11 dollars, it may be a seven day. So I guess it all depends on what state you are fishing. The gas is another story though.

12. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    New York non resident 7 day is 25. annual is 40.

I dont think thats bad!

Heck... canada 7 day no resident is 40 plus PST and GST... which adds 14% sales tax total.

Im ticked about resident fishing licenses here in Michigan... 15 annual plus another 15 for trout and salmon or both at once for 28. Ridiculous. They need to bring a lifetime angler pass in this state and quitgiving the little guy the screw.

13. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Folks mabe it is a blessing in discise,stay home explore you own waters and lands use any spare time to ofer sugestions to ones who govern our outdoor activity

14. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I live in IL. & I buy both IL. and Mo. license each year. The MO. license is $35for the year, a little steep, but hunting is awful.

what get's me is the states that do not offer 3 or 5 day out of state permits. KS for example makes you buy a full season hunting license for around $70 regardless of how long you'll be there.
    I guess it wouldn't be that bad if you were actually hunting, but I like looking for snakes (very seldome ever collect any) and you have to have the permit to even turn over a rock in KS just to take a picture of the snake that's hiding underneath. :crazy:

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    One reason for out of state licenses being so expensive is that the out of stater doesn't pay to maintain fisheries like the state resident. What surprised me when I read the thread is that some states have an extra stamp for fishing Nat'l Forest. Sounds strange that they charge extra to fish waters that belong to all of us. One of the best deals I've seen is Louisiana's one day license, $5. Not bad for a quick one day trip. You pay that much to launch a boat.

16. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Yes, Jerry, I find it interesting how states are changing their rate schedules to make fishing more expensive all of the time. A number of localities in Virginia charge lake and reservoir fees at $5.00 per lake or county, on top of the annual fishing license. The real pain of these local fees is that they must be paid at county clerk offices, and are not always clearly posted at the lakes themselves.

The national forest stamp has been required for a few years now, but I can't remember since when--maybe someone else has that information.

I can understand the trout stamps for stocked waters; one thing nice about Virginia is that they still have a limited trout season, meaning that you only pay for the trout stamp during the stocking season; you can fish for trout out of season, if you wish, and if you can find any!

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I pay 17.50 in state (no stamps). Indiana just passed a bill chargiing 25 for fishing state lakes. (thats for a year) Plus 5 dollars to park each time. Now add those to my boat registration Which has a fee in there for consevation. 7 more for a local area lakes clean up sticker at the private ramps. Now throw gas on top of that and .........
    I don't fish state owned lakes anymore.
    Bill

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I still have to disagree. THe states don't charge that much to make fishing in the state more expensive to the fishermen. It is like the old saying of supply and demand - you pay for what you get. It also brings my step-dad into the equation as he was always so fond of saying "you have choice" in the matter. You don't have to fish out of state.

19. PALMER

PALMER New Member

State:
    Kansas
    thats what i will pay for a 5 day fishing pass in kansas.

20. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I PURCHASED MY STATE FISHING LICENSE LAST WEEK,THEY COST ME $ 17.00 WHICH IN MY OPINION IS TO HIGH CONSIDERING LAST YEAR THEY WERE ONLY $14.75.