are old boats worth messing with?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by daniel-delarosa, Aug 28, 2008.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I found a 1984 Glasstream bass boat today at a jobsite. The guy is the original owner and used the boat up till last year. In April of '07 he and his son went in halves on a new boat. He said he would sell it to me for 500 bucks. Its not in the best of shape, but I think it would be better than my pontoon for running lines and setting jugs. What do ya'll think? Pics are from my phone so they arent very good.

Attached Files:

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well if the motor runs well you were just planning to use it to run jugs right well I think I would get it the motor or the trailer alone is worth that.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Are they worth messing with? Only you can say...it all depends on whether you like "messing with" stuff.

I can tell you this: it will cost more to ressurect an old phoenix than you might ever imagine.

I wouldn't do it, not because of cost, but because there are tons of "project boats" out there that, when finished, will make much better cat boats than this old girl.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As Leroy said, if the motor is in good shape, it and the trailer are worth that much or more. Around here, you can often buy a complete rig for less than the cost of just the motor. So, I might buy the rig and use it while looking for a boat that's more suitable. Then, if you find a boat you like without a motor, you can use the motor off this rig, sell the trailer, and donate the boat to a charity for a nice tax write-off. But I don't think I'd sink any real money into fixing up that particular boat. I agree with Dave that there are lots of old, cheap boats out there that will make you a much better catfishing rig, especially for running lines and jugs.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Personally I'd be more willing to trust an older aluminum than glass boat. Fiberglass starts aging, delaminating, getting pinhole leaks, all of which start adding up.

Aluminum is in my opinion more durable long term.

However, for the price, if the motor works and it has a good trailer under it. It may still be well worth it, and can use the hull untill it starts giving you problems.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Most of the time its better to spend more money up front for a turn key boat. My brother called me a couple weeks ago and said he found a boat for 800 dollars. He had basically the same story from the guy " it ran last year" I told him to have it checked over by someone who knows boats and to have the guy run it in the yard. He did neither. Well two weeks later he has spent over 500 on parts and it still isn't running. You just have to be carefull with old boats, there are a lot of wiring mods that people do over the years. You dont know how they treated the boat for 24 years. Did they winterize it, change lower unit oil frequently. If it were me it would be less headache to spend at least a few thousand more up front because its usually cheaper in the long run. Maybe it does run good but I would run it in the yard and go for a test drive before buying it. When it comes to boats IMHO its best to buy a new one or from someone you really know, that way you know how its been treated. Good luck!!!

7. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

I have two new boats now. I want an old beater that I can really fish out of. My little sea-doo boat is 14ft. I thought it would be perfect to fish out of since I go alone most of the time. Wrong, The twin 85hp two-stroke jets are too dang loud and there are only two speeds, stop or 60mph.:smile2: My wife dont want me to fish off the 'toon cause its new, and I really dont like to anyways. So there it is, 30 grand worth of boats in my drive way and nothing to fish out of.:crazy:

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    are old boats worth messing with?

That question right there is why I bought new when i bought my jon boat. Everybody seems to wanna beat up a jon boat and I didn't want someone else's junk. My scenario also assumes you can afford new. It took me years to save up enough money to buy my little 14' jon boat.

Is it worth it to fix up an old boat? Like has already been said, only you can decide. Depends on your skills/tools, the actual shape the boat, motor and trailer are in, how much you feel like fooling with it, and your budget. Sometimes you get an old beater and it seems like a good idea to resurrect it, then before you know it, you coulda bought a new boat (or at least a lightly used model) for what you've sunk into the clunker, and you've still got an old boat! Not to mention as soon as you start working on stuff, 10 other problems raise their ugly heads (see murphy's law). I get tired of having to constantly fiddle and fool with stuff. I just dont have the patience. But only you can decide for yourself.

Dont you love these clear cut answers? :smile2:

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I found my boat at an abandaned house. It looked like hell rolled over on it. After about four months I located the owner and got it for a little of nothing. It had sat for five years. My wife gave it a bath and shampoo while I checked all the wiring and fuel lines. So far we have put a new 12gal fuel cell after market tilt/trim. Total we have about 1500.00 in it and it was well werth it . Its paid for that is easier for me to look at durring the off months.

My boat is a 16ft 1988 Polarkraft shadow modified V.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I'd throw it in the water and see what happens. If it floats, runs, I'd consider it. I would prefer aluminum myself. I got a free 14' Ozark Traveler once, spent $350 for a 6 hp Johnson and less that a grand over 20 years on repairs.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This is real simple. Do you like "projects"?

I am one of those nutty people who do. Aside from keeping me out of trouble, they are a great excuse to buy new tools!:wink::smile2:

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I agree with DANZIG, I love projects, currently I have 2 used boats I am refurbishing. Not only does it give u experience on fiberglass work, outboard engine repair etc, etc, you can also personalize th boat at a much cheaper rate than if you bought it new...i.e. paint, carpet, seats, accessories, whatever you wanna do. it also keeps me from spending my paycheck at th local watering hole getting drunk anymore, my kids come outside and help/watch, then they get to enjoy it w/me. its a learning experience for all who are interested.

13. daniel-delarosa

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I went and picked it up yesterday evening. I wanted to see if the motor was going to start before I started messing around with the inside. I didn't do anything but put new gas in the tank. Cranked for 5 seconds, stopped, cranked again and it started right up!:big_smile: It runs great! I checked all the electrical out and everything works perfectly. I will post some pics after I get it all cleaned up.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats! I think everyone should have at least two boats for various conditions, and to have a boat when one breaks down. I have an 18 foot bass boat that I am going to convert to a catfish special. It's 2' 2" longer and a foot wider than my Carolina Skiff J-16. It's got two livewells at the stern that I can use for bait. I'm going to break out the sawsall, and cut out the console and everything else not needed. Then there is plenty of room to put a 40 or 50 gallon aerated live cat tank up front. I can use the top of the cat livewell as a table for chores that need a table. I will then mount a 40 or 50 hp tiller steer engine on it. The best part about it is that the boat itself was abandoned, and FREE. The hull and livewells are in perfect condition. I can pick up a used 40 or 50 tiller engine for less than a grand. This will enable me to keep my Harley project that i was going to sell to finance another boat.
    I will keep everyone updated with photos as my project progresses.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i would have got it too $500 it was a steal in my openyun im like some of the uther guys hear i engoy making some one elses old junk my new toy lol good luck:cool2:

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the boat. Like we did give bath make sure everything works and get it in water. For your first trip I would plan a see whats gonna happen trip kepp close to where you enter just in case something happens. Paddeling sucks for more then a few minutes:smile2:. Keep us posted.

17. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I think a little different than most, and I always look for stuff that's used, and cheap, but still good. I got my current boat, and its a 15 ft fiberglass with a 50 hp motor, its a great boat, and the livewells work, and the motor has never let me down, I paid $650 for it, but its from 78. I just got a jon boat which will suit me much better (including trailer and TM = 250) anyhow, I've been very pleased thus far, and now I'm gonna use my "windfall" profits from selling the fiberglass boat to put an O/B on the jon, and mod it out!

18. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    man if your poor like me it is great just to have a boat

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    old fiberglass boats can be found real cheap. i ahve a buddy that bought a 16 footer a few weeks ago. the motor was burnt up. he overhauled it himself for about 350 bucks. he gave 100 for the boat. nice little fishing boat.

20. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I'm with you richard! I look out at my boat and still grin thinking "it's mine.....it really is mine!" :smile2:

I got my first boat back in July and am enjoying it immensely! I paid 3,500 for boat, motor and trailer. It's a '98 Sunbird (my screen name) 18' 6" CC with a 90 Rude. It sat in dry storage for 5 years. Boat looks new and motor works fine. I have installed a new sonar, Lowrance LMS 522c iGPS,
    New bunk boards, stereo/cd/mp3, blue LED effect lights (way cool), rebuilt carbs and a few other custom accessories. I am working on building a custom set up to hold a bait tank and some storage with a utility top to place in the back of the boat. I'll let you know when that gets done.

Attached Files: