Are Mussells Good Catfish Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brinley45cal, Sep 17, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I went fishing today and as i was sitting there i saw one of those muscles i think they are called,you see them in creeks and around lakes,they look like clams at least the shells do.Anyway i got the idea of trying one just to see what happens,so i cracked that baby open and put it on my hook.I caught a channel on one and a flathead on another.I dont know if anyone has ever tried this or not but i thought id share this info for any brothers who havent thought about using them before,but i thought they worked pretty good.

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    When I lived back in wisconsin I used to always go get freshwater clams for bait, you can find them in most sand bars. I would just walk in and feel around with my feet and pick them up. Then I would bring them home and let them sit out in the sun for a day or two, to let them get real good and smelly. It is great bait, and is a natural food for catfish. They crush them with their mouths.

3. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    We have been using muscel on the St johns river in the summer time sence I started fishing here in 72 . Some times they are all that will catch .We have a limit on them now to many people eating them . I like to keep them in water and shuck them as needed and relese what I don't use close to were I lanch so they are easer to find.
    ---be well ---mule

4. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

I've read that cats will hit marshmellows thinking they are a mussel of some sort. Makes sense I guess. A good fishing buddy of mine once told me to look for mussel shells on a bank as that is a sign of catfish feeding grounds. I only get to look when the lake I fish is lowered though.

5. flatcatnightmare

flatcatnightmare New Member

State:
    south east Indiana
    glad I seen this post, we have been finding muscles about 5 to 6 inches and thought about cracking them open and fishing with them , now we will , are they good for flats because that is what I target ? thanks .

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I've never caught a flat on one but if you throw it in a flats face he might eat it. All I caught was channels because the river where I used it in didnt have blue cats. I do know that a ton of big blues have been caught around clam beds though. It is one of their favorite foods.

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Chek the regulations in your area. In Alabama some muscles are protected.
    May be that way where you fish.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Mussels work well for blues on a small local lake by me,but haven't had much luck with them anywhere else.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mussells are a famous bait at Santee and in the rivers where they exist.In the summer time they float free from their beds and die and the blues feed heavily on them.As far as I know Flats dont feed on them but a fresh chunk of the meat might do the trick.At Santee the fish feed on the clams and mussells so much that they rattle when you pick them up.They dont crush the shells in their mouths but swallow them whole and their digestive juices dissolve the meat.Then they pass the shells and you can tell because often their anal vent will be badly distended.I have caught many that rattled and when kept in a livewell they will regurgitate the clams.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here in Arkansas, we have a similar situation in the spring of the year when the blues go on a feeding binge on zebra mussels. A friend told me that he does extremely well drifting blood bait over zebra mussel beds in lakes, but I have never tried that myself.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have coaught many channels and blues, never a flathead. They are illegal to harvest, possess, or use (here's my sign) in Ohio though.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mussel meat is great bait.
    And we catch 80% of our blues off mussel beds. The mussels will cover miles of the river bed. And the blues feed on them all the time.
    Also one kind of mussel called a Rub-board Its a big shell is moved around by blues. There the little bumps on the skin of blues at times.

Pete

13. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    How do yall locate mussel beds?

14. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    You can usually see the shells on the shoreline where the water has came down or from where racoons have been eating them. Most cases they are located on sand bars or soft sandy areas.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in illinois its illegal to possess or harvest mussles without a musslers liscense. the big clams are good eating though.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you drag a hook and line through a zebra mussel bed, they will actually close up on your hook and line, and be on there when you pull your line in.

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to catch freshwater clams all the time like that, you think you have a snag and then it comes out and feels heavy. You get it to the boat and its a clam, weird. I guess they get hungry too.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, I think that they are sitting on the bottom with their shells open, gathering food, and when something bumps them, they quickly close up their shells for protection. If your hook or line is in the way, the shell just happens to close on it.