Are many new members most comfortable with the ALT METHODS section?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by seacatfish, Jul 6, 2008.

1. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    It seems that we are seeing a lot of new members posting in this section, Alternate Methods of Catching Catfish. Is it due to the fact that no one here is going to rip them for their choice of gear, or is it possible that trotlines, limblines, noodling, jugging actually represents the MAJORITY of catfishermen in our country?:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::big_smile:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, I feel that rod & reel fishing for catfishing may well be the alternative method of fishing for them. I'd give good odds (very unusual for me) that up until 40 or 50 years ago, somewhere between 75%-90% of all catfishing was done by what we are now calling 'alternative methods'. When I was growing up in the 50s, I knew a number of people who catfished, but I don't recall that any of them used a rod & reel. If they used a rod & reel, they used it for bass fishing; a few might use it in the spring for white bass.
    Just as no bait, no tackle is suitable for all catfish, at all times, in all locations, no method of fishing for them is suitable for everyone. There's not a single one of us who would like it if someone came along and told us we shouldn't fish the way we want because they don't agree with it. I mean, how many BOC members are also members of PETA? We strenuously object to them trashing fishing as a whole, regardless of the method used, yet there seem to be some of us who do the same thing to a particular method of fishing. As long as it's a legal method of fishing, I fail to see the difference. It's someone trying to stop all methods of fishing except their way. After all, if it's OK to do that, it's also OK for me to say that no one has the right to do anything I don't approve of. I'm not saying that other people can't have different opinions; after all, this is America. But we don't have the right to run someone else down just because he or she doesn't share that same opinion. Respect their rights, just as you expect them to respect yours.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have to agree with Jerry. I've run trot lines all my life. Still carry a net grab in my boat for an anchor. Much of my family has made a living commercial fishing in the past. I'm relatively new to rod/reel cattin and love the sport, but not enough to tell someone they are wrong if they don't do as i do. As long as your abiding by the laws, i'll have no complaint. I've changed my opinions somewhat since coming to this place i love so much, but still respect the rights of others.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well, my family has limblined and handfished for as far back as i can remember and i plan on limblining/trotlining/ handfishing till the day i die. i live to fish, rather it be with a rod and reel or limblines. it dont make me no difference as long as im out on the water away from all of the stress and noise of the town. as long as im in the outdoors hunting or fishing im at home.

5. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I do them all and have for years. I do return all of the fish over 10lbs back and most time any that are over 5lbs because I like the younger ones for the table. I enjoy all my time outdoors with my children and grandkids. There is so many more people fishing and hunting now than when I was growing up and less places to do it in.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    jtrew speaks the truth in my book. I think that r/r cattin is the alternative cattin. even when I was a kid you rarely met someone that used a rod to specifically catch cats. we trot lined and limb lined. the rods were for catching bait for trotlines:tounge_out:

don't get me wrong, i enjoy r/r cattin looking for muy grande but if I want action and meat i take the noodles and throw them out.

7. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I do love to rod and reel fish for catfish but I have been running trotlines and limblines a lot longer. Just now getting into jug fishing and I really like it.Still learning and I only have 22 made up so far.I set them out and then set up and r&r fish. Why call it a alternate way to fish when you are still out to catch catfish. You know the old saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Then again why would you want to skin a cat.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I remember a time, many, many years ago, I tried to disagree with something Jerry Trew said. I tried, Jerry, I really did. But, no matter how much effort I put into it, I simply couldn't find one thing he ever said to disagree with. Nothings changed I see. Your still my mentor.

9. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I think today's MTV generation lacks the patience to r&r fish alone. I know at my age, if by myself fishing, I am constantly looking for something else to do. Also, I did not have a limb liner or trot liner in the family, so anything I learn about the "alternate" methods of fishing will come from you wonderful gentlemen in the Alternate fishing section. From a new guy.:roll_eyes:

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Kutter, i would say you have a fine judge of character.:wink:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ronny, i'm rather well versed in meat fishin. Thats what i always referred to it as anyway. Don't hesitate if you have any questions, we'll get em answered.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As you noticed, this forum is called altenative methods of "catching" catfish.

It says nothing of actually fishing for catfish, if you want to read about fishing for catfish visit the other forums.

13. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I think people grew up trotlining and limblining because people didn't think you could catch catfish with rod and reel. That and back then people lived off the land more than they do today and they didn't have time to fish all day for catfish. The farmers would set them out then work the fields all day then go check there lines that evening. That was also a different time. People wasn't educated on selective harvest. Thats why they would catch a lot bigger fish back then then they do now. At least around here. Dont get me wrong I have nothing against these alt. methods as long as people use selective harvest.
    Most people want to catch a big fish. I know I do. I makes you feel like you have conquered the beast. LOL But next time you catch a big fish take pictures of it and turn it loose. That feeling is something unexplainable. This is just my .02. Good luck fishing out there everybody.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I Guess I could have worded my post better..Farmer said it alot better than I could...It's a touchy subject with me as I have had many good spots ruined by the efforts of trotliners.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    maybe the new guys posting here have been watching but never joined because some look down on these here. but now feel more welcome and comfortable.

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i am also a cpr fisherman but i can respect another mans means of catching his meal.. most of the guys i know that trot line and limb line do depend on the fish they catch to feed their families.. im sure there are many exceptions but that is my experience.. now the netters are a different story all together and i donot like them at all because i have seen were their fish go to and its not hungry bellies!! .... but i think everyone should give the guys in the alternative methods area some space to discuss their way of fishing no matter what we think about it.... the whole rest of the forum caters to the rod&reel fisherman ... give them their little corner of the boc...

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

I agree, and will certainly not post here agin.

18. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The only way I know how to fish for catfish is by rod and reel, Im willing to try just about anything in my quest to catch a BIG ole Mr. Whiskers!!!!:wink:

19. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It really makes no difference to me, as EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion. Everyone should be entitled to their own techniques.I absolutely LOVE to set my lines out and wouldn't change for anyone.....EVER!! But there are always three "unwritten rules" that apply in my own "opinion".....

1. Be safe for yourself
    2. Be legal for your state
    3. Be moral for the catfish (CPR)

Thats just how gramps raised me and is my mindset on the whole alternative methods techniques.

20. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Personally, trotlining and yo yos give me a chance to fish for 2 species.

I love to bream fish with a fly rod. When I trotline I use the lil'uns for bait, and filet the eaters.

The catfish don't get that big on the river I fish (the biggest I have ever caught was a 12 lb flattie and that was last week), so the chances of me hurting the sport by killing a trophy is small.