Are jug line laws in your all's states strict

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i am wanting to experiment with different fishing methods. and want to try jug fishing . and i'm not sure i understand ohios right or not . but only 6 llines are permited.one hook each , no treble hooks. and they must be free floating. wich means you cant anckor them to the bottom with 1 pound weights. and you must be present at all times. i have never jug fished and know nothing about it . but it doesn't sound all that great to do it in ohio. is it like this in all states. i thought i could put out like 20 with 3 or 4 hooks on each. i catch and relase , i just wanted to try it . but i was just wondering how it is every were else . also another question about jug fishing . has anyone hooked big flats on them . like 30 plus range. how big a jug do you need to keep him up.and if you got really lucky and had 2 hooks with 2 live baits and hooked 2 big fish . your jug is gone isn't ???? or does thngs like that never happen. and help or info would be great. or jug making ideas .

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Laws vary by state and probably most lakes in a state, and Yes I have "chased" 2 litter style jugs as they go under, just have to wait for them to pop back up which depending on the size and how long the fish has been hooked up, will determine if and how long it will run and fight, a big fish can certainly pull a good jug/float under but not for to awful long bad part is when you spook one and he is big enough to pull it, you have to say a quick prayer that it doesn't get in some type of snag, "then its swimmin time" :big_smile:

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    in ohio you are only allowed 6 jugs on lakes that are 700 acres or less in bigger lakes you can use more unless jugging is prohibited by owner in authority,the regulations are in your information package you get with your license

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oklahoma allows 20 jugs with a maximum of 5 hooks per jug. The jugs must be marked with the owners name and address. They may either be free floating or anchored, and they must be checked once every 24 hours. In addition, we are allowed a maximum of three trot lines with a maximum of 100 hooks which also must be marked with name/address and checked once every 24 hours. We may also have a maximum of 20 limb lines with 2 hooks per line - must also be marked and checked. We are allowed 20 yo-yo's which must be marked and checked every six hours. Then to top it all off, we are allowed to fish with 7 rods and reels, unless the water we are fishing has restrictions, as tail waters of Corp or Engineer lakes which restrict us to two. To further anger some of the out of state anglers, Oklahoma allows year round noodling - but it is restricted to "bare hands only". No poles, gaff's, ropes, hooks, etc. Nothing. Nada.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the only way a jug is legal in pa is if you run a line from the jug to your hand or fishin pole. then its considered a bobber or hand fishing according to the pfbc.

6. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    Texas allows 100 hooks in the water per person. That can be up to 20 jugs with 5 hooks each or 100 jugs with 1 hook each or anything in between. They must be white as commercial fishermen have to have orange jugs. They can be anchored or free floating.
    I have caught yellow cats up to 52 lb. on gallon size jugs. They will pull the jug under and swim with it 30 or 40 yards and then let it surface. That was with a 5 lb. wt on the bottom of the jug line. I was lucky to get that fish to the boat. We later relocated him in the San Marcos river. We caught 5 yellows from 43 to 52 lbs. from a soil conservation lake. They had been put in the lake as small fish [ 12 of them ], 25 years ago. They never reproduced and the owner could not keep any channel cat long enough for them to get big enough to catch. The lake now has a good population of channel cat. Pat

7. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    wonder why each state verys so much

8. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    from what i read on ky's wed site u can have up to 50 jugs or 2 lines. but as i read it almost every lake had its own set of restrictions some even barring it all 2 gether so i would check the rule of the lake u r gonna fish i could find no restrictions outside the 50 jug rule for rivers. one thing i was wondering thou if any1 can answer it im in northern ky if i put jugs or tree rigs out on the ohio river can the state of ohio impose there laws on me or not? on almost all laws i found up here the state of ky own most of the ohio river that has a ky border. i can not find nothing on this and living on the ky, oh, and indiana border i sure would like to know? from what i understand as long as u r on the ohio river fishing between borders each state will recognise the others laws. but that is for creel limets can not find anything on jug fishing. any1 else know?

9. iam2hi2flyinky

State:
    kentucky
    oh and by the way i use 1 gallon milk jugs with tape aroud the handle to keep the line from tearing the plastis and 3 ft of 30 lb big game test with some dead minnows on the end of it. as far as size never got 1 over 12lbs doing this but catch alot of 5 to 8 lb blues real good way to fill the freezer up. YUMMY:smile2:

10. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i would also like to start jug fishing but have no clue where to start:roll_eyes:

11. iam2hi2flyinky

State:
    kentucky
    well local i jug fish the river mostly so i tie my jugs to a tree so i dont loose them. if u r on a lake just throw them out u will find them all by the bank in a day or so. i leave mine 5 at a time all over the lakes they will float or get swam around

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i dont think there is a limit in illinois. they just have to be attended at all times. i like to tie em to a submerged stump using a rubber strap with the hooks taken outta the sides which makes for a nice place to tie em on. i use heavy braided line. like 130# or something. that strap will keep a fish from breaking it off. I have also seen people use innertubes the same way.

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    No jug fishing is permitted in West Virginia...but trot lines and drop lines are permitted in some lakes...go figure...:eek:oooh:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You're already at one of the best places to learn about jugfishing. There have been hundreds of posts about it on this board. Just do a search and read up on it. You'll find that there are different techniques, jugs made from several different materials, different jugline setups, different baits, shoot, I can't think of a single thing in jugfishing that isn't done several different ways. You have to start out with what you THINK will work for you, then experiment till you pin it down. Well, you never actually pin it down completely. I've been jugfishing 24 years and I made a modification this year that I really like. I use 2-liter soda jugs. I've started cutting 1" slices off a small foam swim noodle, enlarging the center hole so I can fit it over the jug's cap, then gluing it in place. Gives me a place to stick my hooks when I wind the jugline around the neck of the jug.