Are Goldfish legal bait in KY?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catfishjohn, Jan 24, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was wondering this from another thread and always thought they were legal to use. I've used them for years and had good luck and no problems.:confused2:
    Anybody have a copy where it states the legality of use of goldfish in KY? I don't wanna break the law anymore and want to find out for sure. :confused2:
    I couldn't find a definitive answer so any help will be appreciated!:wink::big_smile:

2. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I am curious also used some last summer.I know they sell them at a baitstore here in IN.

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    John, check with your local fish and game and they will tell you for sure.

:big_smile::wink:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've looked on the DNR site and can't find out for sure. I may call them if nobody knows for sure. Thanks Al!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Usually I get my answer here on the BOC for those questions but sometimes I have to call the DNR to find out for sure.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    (301 KAR 1:130, 1: 122)
    No live fish, live bait fish or live bait organisms that are not native or established in Kentucky waters shall be bought, sold, possessed, imported, or in any way used or released into waters of this Commonwealth.....This is the LAW. John it is found on page 14 of the Kentucky 2007 Sport Fishing & Boating Guide.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Ok, but why does every bait shop sell them? I don't understand that part.
    Thanks for the info!

8. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    None of the Baitshops around here sell them. I usually have to go to the local Wal-Mart and get them for about 22 cents each. But like It stated in the previous thread they are illegal to use for bait.....LOL just don't let the "MAN" seeya.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Every bait shop around here sells them. I've used them at the river and the 'Man' didn't say anything. Thanks for the info!

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I just got off the phone with KY DNR in Frankfort and they said YES Goldfish are a legal bait to use in KY. I read him what you quoted and it said it didn't pertain to Goldfish.
    The final answer is go ahead and use them without any worries.
    Here is the # if anybody wants to call also---1-800-858-1549
    WOOHOO!!! I've not been breaking the law after all!!!!!:wink::smile2:

Thanks Al for the idea to call them. I'd Rep you but gotta get my power back first!

11. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Well thats good to know John. Thanks for enlightening me. I love to fish with goldfish and will do so now without having to hide....LOL The book stating that can be a bit decieving.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You're welcome. It wasn't that I didn't believe you but I just had to make that phone call to be 100% sure.
    Good Luck with them!!!:wink::big_smile:

13. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Man , I was just finishing my trace on you guys so I could send you to the pokey and save those fish for me:smile2:

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    most bait shops that sell gold fish are selling them to use only in private ponds such as pay lakes. you are not alowed to use them in any public waters. They do not want to add a fish to the population that is not a native fish to KY. It will in turn only cause problems like we are having with the Big Head carp now in are river systems.

15. zacksdaddy

zacksdaddy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of the baitf houses that I have that do have goldfish are sold to fisherman who will use them in pay lakes. I also have used them in public waters but a friend of mine owns a bait house and he sells them to pay lakers.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Originally Posted by catfishjohn [​IMG] I just got off the phone with KY DNR in Frankfort and they said YES Goldfish are a legal bait to use in KY.The final answer is go ahead and use them without any worries.
    Here is the # if anybody wants to call also---1-800-858-1549

You can use them in any waters in KY according to the DNR. I've used them in the river and state lakes and never had a problem with it.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks John for the information. Appreciated.