Are goldfish illegal to use as bait in South Carolina?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by wylie catter, May 15, 2006.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I mainly fish Lake Wylie and I know a lot of people who use goldfish as bait,But I've heard that it's illegal. Does anybody here know for sure?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I called SCDNR and they told to read the Rules and Regulations book. So told them I did and thats why I call they sent me in a circle and nobody would say yes or no. I asked a Warden he didn't know for sure either. I know several bait shops sell "Black Salties" now so I guess if you can sell them you can fish with them to.

It pissed me off to call and waste 45 minutes and nobody could get me a straight answer.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It is illegal to release non-native fish into SC waters.

So, as long as they don't get off the hook, it is legal!!!

4. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks, I appreciate the info. When I try them I guess I'll just have to make sure they stay on my hook. LOL.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    A lot of bait shops in this area are carrying "Black Salties" which look like goldfish but they're gray.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If it comes off your hook, how are they gonna know you released it? they used to have a law like that here in Virginia but now it is legal. I think they figured out that they won't last long in the water.