Are goldfish illegal to use as bait in South Carolina?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by wylie catter, May 15, 2006.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I mainly fish Lake Wylie and I know a lot of people who use goldfish as bait,But I've heard that it's illegal. Does anybody here know for sure?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I called SCDNR and they told to read the Rules and Regulations book. So told them I did and thats why I call they sent me in a circle and nobody would say yes or no. I asked a Warden he didn't know for sure either. I know several bait shops sell "Black Salties" now so I guess if you can sell them you can fish with them to.

It pissed me off to call and waste 45 minutes and nobody could get me a straight answer.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It is illegal to release non-native fish into SC waters.

So, as long as they don't get off the hook, it is legal!!!

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks, I appreciate the info. When I try them I guess I'll just have to make sure they stay on my hook. LOL.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    A lot of bait shops in this area are carrying "Black Salties" which look like goldfish but they're gray.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    If it comes off your hook, how are they gonna know you released it? they used to have a law like that here in Virginia but now it is legal. I think they figured out that they won't last long in the water.