Are goldeye SkipJack?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Catfishboy1995, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I was at a Fishing expo and a guy was talking about Skip jack around here in iowa..He said Gold eye are skip jack?...I wasnt sure if he just said that or if it is true..I believe him but he did mess up on saying alot of stuff...Like little stuff you mess up on when talking infront of people and when ypour old..lmao...But he said a egg sinker he accidentally called it a no-roll be accident and and berkely vanish he said it was trilene vanish so little stuff i just am woner ing if he meant to say that gold eye are skippies..

Thanks

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    He might have MEANT to say it but he is wrong, LOL!!!

3. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Thats what i was wondering becasue i catch ALOT of gold eye on worms and Was always throwing them back and not to long a go i caught a skipjack on worm and kept it and they looked different..So i was wondering on that one..lmao..He is a guide though so i was beginning to believe him

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    He is probably talking about what I call mooneye (also called gold eye). They have teeth skip's do not but they look similar and are not found that far north. They are excellent bait for blues.

5. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I hear we have mooneye here but i have never got one..

6. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

Does what you are catching have teeth?

7. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
  8. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    So it is in the HERRING family.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    golden eye/ moon eye as well as skip jack are great fishing bait...

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Trust Skipeye on this one, lol.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

LMAO!!!!! Gary......don't start no sh!T and there won't be no sh!T!!!!!:terror:

12. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    the gold eye do but my friend just showed me a pic after i asked him about it of about 30 (mooneye?) and they DONT have teeth the gold eyes do..

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Skips look nothing like gold eye's to me anyways mooneyes look closer to gold eyes. Now skips are in the missouri river and I have personally caught them in Yankton South Dakota. Which that would be way past council bluffs. I will say this from my times fishing in the missouri up around yankton they call the gold eye's there skipjacks. That's just your normal back woods uneducated folks not knowing proper names for fish though. No fault to there stupidity.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I agree, lol

15. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    we caught about a million of them things up there years ago(2003) when we were waleye fishing couldn't keep them off the the lindy rigs......
    rich i think some people call goldeye mooneye around here but i think they are the same thing if you want good bait you would keep them put them on ice right away then vacum pack them to use later... the best time we found down here to catch them is after dark pm me if you want any info on what we do

16. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Richard you can trust ME on this one.You dont have to be old to make a mistake.

17. Catfishboy1995

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Ye yankton is about 3 hrs away from here..about 2 hourd north and 1 hr west...Ihave fish below gavins point dam and snagged spoonbill..Maybe i will have to make a skip jack trip soon

18. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I usually catch goldeye on the Neb. stretch of the Mo River, is there a differance in methods of catching skipjack verses the Goldeye? if so maybe that is why I don't catch a lot skips, I just dont think there is a lot in this area.