Are Glocks really that great?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by MilwaukeeCatHunter, Apr 6, 2006.

1. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Our department switched over to Glock .40s this month. Shot about 150 rounds through mine today at the range. I was a little diappointed considering all the good things I have heard about Glock.

Recoil was a bit more harsh than our previous pistols, Smith/Wesson .40s. I think it is because the Glock is lighter? Anyhow, my hand was a little sore after shooting...I have never had this happen before. The slide of the Glock was pretty slippery when we were doing malfunction drills. The slide slipped out of my hand a couple times. I think I am going to have to invest in some Hogue grips and some aftermarket slide attachments to make this pistol work for me.

What ever happend to the days of a good old Colt 1911 or a Colt Python?

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I have several Glocks and they are indeed great pistols. Just like any new tool, it might take you a bit to get used to it. They almost feel as good as a 1911 or a HiPower, but not quite.

But overall they are a great weapon with a solid design.

3. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Ya...I probably have to adjust to the new pistol. Change is hard. As long as I can throw bullets down range accurately when the poop hits the fan...that's what counts.

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree that you have to get used to them as well. My dad has one that we shoot and they are definately a short range self-defense gun because they arent too accurate, but fun to shoot. I agree that they do have a bit of recoil and is prolly due to the weight of the gun, but all in all I think it is really a pretty good gun!

5. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Dave,

When the department I worked for switched over, I couldn't find enough bad things to say about Glock. And my favorite slam was suggesting they were made from recycled Barbie Dolls.

Half way through our 40 hour conversion training, I was starting to have a major change of thinking. Now, I think they are the best duty / all around defense weapon going, and over the years, I've had some "advertised" greats. Colt Delta Elite... too heavy and too hot for sustained X ring hits. The big S & W .45 was just too big and the plastic grips sucked. Colt 1911 and 1991 lacks the mag capacity, plus the constant controversy over carry in condition one or condition two. Glock took care of all those draw-backs.

The only aftermarket add on that I put on my Glock was the slip on grip condom with finger reliefs. It made a huge difference.

Give it a chance Dave. That isn't Mattel stamped into that plastic... ;)

Mike

6. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'll give it a chance. There must be a darn good reason why the guns are so popular. (I wish I bought stock in Glock years ago)

I just put on a Hogue grip (I think that's the one you refer to) and it feels better in my hand. The palm swell in the Hogue grip helps a bit. You make a good point about the pistol being easy to use vs. other pistols. That decocking lever on our old Smith and Wesson .40s was a pain to manipulate under stress fire.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I carry a model 22 in the 40 cal and its loaded with S&W Gold dots. I added night sites and the condom as mike said.:) This is one of the best weapons I have ever carried. I can hit coke cans at 40 yrds with good consistency and wouldn't think of carrying any thing else. If you learn your site picture and hold position it will put them down range any where you want them.
    I shoot about a 1000 rnds a year thru mine and hasn't failed me yet.
    When I come in from the range I just break mine down and put it in the dish washer and then oil it slightly and she is good to go.
    Once you get use to it you will love it.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a glock 23 in .40cal and love it,very accurate.Thats the pistol i use most offen for my ccw.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm sure Glock dependability is the reason they are so popular with many police departments. I like my little Glock 26 for carry, especially with the Laser sight.

I agree, there is nothing that will compare with the smooth action of a Colt Python but I sure don't carry them. Pictures of mine are on my web site.

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    put it through the dish washer? Hmm i never heard that one before? Does it really work?

11. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    I had the same question. But I guess if you can freeze them in blocks of ice, bury them in sand, throw them on a barbeque grill, and they still come out shooting, the dishwasher ain't gonna hurt....I think.

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    for there intended purpose , yes they are that great. but for my money ruger is just as great.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Last year,I got to go out to the Local FBI shooting range with a few agents and got to shoot an assortment of their weapons :) Everything from a full auto .45 "Tommy Gun", Auto and Burst AR15, Burst MP5, shotguns, and their standard issue Glock. Pretty much their full arsenal heh.

Glock and MP5 were my favorite. Not sure what model their Glocks are other than .40. But I prolly went through a couple dozen clips with it hehe (I took full advantage of "Shoot as much as you want, we got more ammo than you can go through" heheh).. Don't know if the Agent had added anything, but from what I felt, it fit great in my hand and I had not problem hitting anything I wanted to.

14. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    There is no doubt that glocks are reliable and a great duty weapon. I just never got used to the feel being like a craftsman drill (ruger also). Or dept just went to the Sig P229 with the new trigger group. SWEET.

The glock does have the ability to be slicked out a good bit. If the dept will let you I suggest you take it to a Glock Armorer and let them work on the trigger group for you. It is amazing the difference. Your group will shrink.

As I am sure you know the trigger pull does not have to be light just bump free.

15. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the advice on the trigger. I have to admit that I am jealous of you and your Sig.

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I just purchased a glock 17 yesterday, after doing a few months of research. This is my first handgun, and it is a pretty simple gun to use and break down. A couple of weeks ago, I fired a glock that was almost 18 years old, and it was as if it had just come out of the box for the first time.

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think they rattle a bit too much for me. I am a revolver man. If I need it and the round is a dud I like knowing salvation is a trigger pull away.

18. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    Yep...there is something to be said for the reliability of a revolver. But they lack the high capacity....15 in a magazine is a good feeling too.

19. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One of the biggest reasons for PD's switching to Glocks is that they are very user friendly and easy to use. There's no decocking lever, no hammer, no safety to manipulate, single action, and they are very reliable. Just give yourself some time to get adjusted to the feel of the Glock and you will be happy with it. The Hogue slip on grip helps a bunch. My favorite thing about the Glock is the trigger reset. After you fire your first shot keep the trigger pulled back. Slowly release it and when you feel the click its ready to shoot again, about half the trigger pull of the first shot. As far as maintenance, they're just like any other weapon, keep em clean and lubricated and they'll work forever. Chris

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    One Of My Best Friends Is Police Officer, Swat Team Member As Well As The Departments Firearms Instructor & Certified Armorer.

He Would Have Nothing Else But A Glock & I Can Say Myself That I have A Glock 21 In .45 Cal., I Carry It As A C.C.W. & Take It Hunting With Me As Well. I have Wrestled Big Hogs Rolling In The Swamp & Wound Up Having To Use It In Several Occasions As such WITHOUT One Misfire Or Jam.

The Other Thing That I Favor About It Is That it Will Digest ANY Brand Of .45 Ammo. I'll Keep Mine:) :) Elliot