Are frogs good catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dcaruthers, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Have seen frogs mentioned as a possible cat bait but I've never used them. For those of you that have...How do you hook it and present it (suspended or bottom) and do you fish it live or cut?

2. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used them bass fishing one summer on Old Hickory around Nashville. I used a spinning rod, light line, and only a hook. I would cast them onto moss rafts and lily pads and let them "kick" around. I caught bass nearly everytime.
    I'm not sure how I would use them for catfish though. If they are leopard frogs (only ones I've used) I hooked them thru the top lip/nostil. If they are bullfrogs I am afraid it would have to be as cut bait, because the legs would never make it back into the water.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never tried them for catfish but they are good bass bait

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    The good ones are the leopard frogs. Heard of a lot of big cats pulled in off of 'em. I've never done it, but they just fished 'em on bottom. Good luck.

-Red

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Frogs are good cat bait but use them alive and use the small ones. I personally have never had any luck but I use to know some old farmers that swore by them for cats,and yess they are also excellent for Bass.--------pk:smile2:

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Some years ago I use to use them and caught many cats. Just make sure they are small. Hooked them through their mouth. Fished them on bottom but uder a slip bobber would work. If the frog is to big they just grab the body and run tearing the frog off or skinning it.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Frogs are great bait if you can pinpoint major bite times and know theres cat in the area. If bass are feeding they're gonna get that frog, but cats will get em too. I've fished with them in a cat pond and the cats destroy them as well.

8. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Leopard frogs are the best , imature bullfrogs are o.k. to , have also used sand toads , but don't use pee toads .
    Brian

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I caught a 8lb blue on a small frog while bass fishing once. I have never heard of people using them for catfish, but if they are hungry they will bite. may be worth a try.

10. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I hear tell that frogs are good bass bait.

Bass are good Catfish bait.

Therefore in a round about way frogs must be good cat bait once they are converted to bass.:embarassed:

Oh Boy, now that wasn't nice at all. hahahahaha

11. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i think that it doesn't really matter what you fish with becouse it seems like cats bit on anything depending on the day. i mean shot i've herd people on the boc talking about catching cats on mice, alluminum foil, etc.