Are Flatheads Good as bait!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by peewee williams, Dec 19, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Flatheads are not to be released alive back into the water in my area.They are still scarce.

Are the ones two small to eat good live bait?Are the too large to eat good cut bait?

Before some get started,we have had the Savannah River Nuclear Site or Weapons Plant as you wish to call it up stream for over 50 years now.How many tons of "Tritium" and other pollutants has or has not been dumped into the Savannah River is a national secret and they have never been able to keep their public statements agreeing about any releases from years to years.The one thing that all believe is that they don't have any idea as some leaks admittedly went on for many years unnoticed.Also they were reputed not to know how much was in the storage vessels to starts,so they had no way to know how much had leaked into the river.They need to check with the Russians or better yet the Chinese for the amount.They could probably tell them due to the old security they used to have.There have been warnings at times and we had even gone on bottled drinking water at the plant I worked at clear down in Savannah.

This goes for eating all species of large Catfish and even Large Bass the last I heard.

I do not get to fish much or any now,but my son and grandson along with friends do.The large fish ar not fished for but I would not eat anything over 10 lbs.Some eat them and say,They didn't hurt me or my kids.Now there is a huge difference of opinion on this!!!I hate to see any larger fish go to waste no matter what the reason.Thanks.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sounds like our tax dollars at work again! Do they have any laws against "missing" them with the net??

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i couldnt answer that alfred. i think a smellier bait fish would better for bait. that is a delema you have there. maybe you could pack up some of the biggest nasties ones and ship them to bin laden for christmas.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well,if I miss them with the net,I would need to do the same with the Snake-Head and Asian Carp as they are all invasive species here.I ain't never been one one for putting what I want in the rivers and dang the rest of the fisherman.If I did,there would be a lot less Bass to fish for as I do believe that I know how to eradicate them if I wished.

No,I won't tell how to eliminate Bass though I see that Flatheads do a excellent job of reducing the Bass population with time!!!They feed on bass feed and bass and I don't care for bass.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If your not suppose to release them back into the water you may want to give it a try, I have caught some small catfish but never used them for bait.

6. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    You know I've never tried using small flats for bait. Actually until now I've never even thought of it. I would say if bait fish are in rare form & your not allowed to release flats when caught, give it a try. The thought of it kind of weirds me out though. Flats are predators & when hungry enough will eat anything, so with that being said.......

Let us know how it turns out.

J

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man that sure is a different situation...I have seen people use baby channel cats, up to 12 inches to catch Flatheads with great success. I have never done it personally, it was difficult for me to wrap my brain around that, I would rather throw them back and let them grow up to be big kids...:roll_eyes:..That being said, in your situation i would definatley give it a try, as territorial as those fish are, I am almost positive it would work, if it worked with channels, why not flatheads also?..

8. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    bulheads and channel cat are good for bait why not flatheads?

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE

Good point on the Bullheads. The Bullheads I catch & use for live bait are Black Bullheads. They almost look like little mini Flats. I'm still kind of having a hard time with using cats a bait though. If they weren't my favorite game fish I might think differently though.

J

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use bullheads and even channel cats sometimes, but i can't justify using little flatheads for bait...my opinion solely...and, where do you catch them little flats at? lol.. i only catch big ones!:wink: maybe some of you could help me with that one? :smile2::roll_eyes::smile2: rollo

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    If I was fishing in your state and happen to catch a flathead,too small to keep ,I'm afaird I'd have to turn it loss. Just hope I didn't get caught. Think that's what I'd do in your case also.Just be careful and before you left bye,bye mr flattie.Darn he got off my stringer:eek:oooh:.Can't really see using them for bait.just my 02 worth.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    flatheads were introduced in some areas and have become a nusience. just like asain carp zebra muscles ect.. i agree with jeff. bullheads make great bait for fleatheads. canibals. maybe. shoot. try it. i wouldnt toss a flathead on the bank. if i couldnt eat it wich is my main objective, ide put it back but i 6'er. bait for a 46"er,lol. ya.

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Why on earth would you take a creature that grows to well over 100 lbs in its lifetime and use it as bait. I think thats going against everything we are supposed to stand for. Please correct me if im wrong.

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice buck jeffw:roll_eyes:

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish bait:cool2:

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    call or send me about fishing catfishrollo

17. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    The lake im on is about 150 miles upstream from where the oconee and ocumlgee form the altamaha. from what i've heard flatheads and blues started showing up in backwaters of the lake about 10 years ago. I caught my first small flathead last summer while i was filling up my baitbucket w/ bluegills. I was just bouncing a redwiggler off the bottom...I bet it was from last springs spawn. It was only about 12"....and had a very dark pigment to him, almost black. You could surely tell it was a lil flattie though, nothing like any bullhead i've ever seen. Of course he's still swimming today. Anyway's the Georgia DNR is trying to eradicate flatheads since they're an introduced predator in most of Georgia's waters...actually any river in the southeast that is drained into the Atlantic. I think Georgia has given up on the Atamaha watershed, but they used to shock it and collect pounds of flatheads a day in a certain stretch of river.They're trying to protect the native Red Breast Bream (bait). The DNR still shocks in other parts of the state where flatheads have just recently started showing up. I think Flathead for bream is a great conversion....I'm just glad they quit shocking down river from where i'm at. There is a resovoir directly below my lake, but after that it's completely unimpounded all the way to the Atlantic..

18. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    1 have not heard from you louisvillerider for a while

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would never use a flathead for bait!!! If I caught a small one I would let it go. If someone said something about it...I would say it wasn't a flathead, but a bullhead. If that didn't do it...then throw down boy!:crazy:

20. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    what is that sign you are holding up :eek:oooh: