Are flathead catfish in spillways?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Gibbzilla, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I hear everyone talking about flatheads being in dark areas with all kinds of hangups and everything, so does that mean they wouldn't be in the area of a spillway? I thought maybe you could get some about 20 feet from the turbulent water because of the baitfish being washed down there.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    In my experience, there are always flats hanging out below spillways. During the night they may move out of the deep holes to feed along rocks, hang out in other cover, etc., but they are still there.

3. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Spillways are a great place to catch flaties.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Flathead love spillways. I've been fishing them for years from the bank. thats where i caught the one in my avatar, and several like him.

5. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Do you fish inside the really rough water or do you move down until it's a little more calm?

6. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I catch them right a the current break. I think they dash into the heavy current to catch food and then move back into the slack water. One day I caught 15 to 20 Flatheads at the Ohio river, from the pier at Pike Island Dam. I probably broke off just as many. I was throwing right out to the current break, into the slack water. None of them were huge. The largest was 15lbs, but they were fun to catch. I catch them this way, when the water warms up. They hit skipjack really good, when you fish for them this way.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes they are. There are irragation pipes along the Colorado river and also drain ditches as well where people always catch flatheads. Even some up to 50#'s I have heard came from some of those areas. Key is using heavier pound test to contend with the currrent and also getting them out or away from the pipes.

8. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i fish the dam on the colorado river and catch the heck out of nice flatheads. i toss out 1/2 lb live shad right where the water spills over. there is a rock ledge that they lay under and come out of to feed on the shad and what ever else decides to swim by thier "hide outs"

9. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    tough to beat a spillway....it is where I will go if i ever get in a slump or if the bite seems a little slow in traditional locations. I prefer current breaks or slight slack water to where your bait isnt getting pulled down stream at full force. The hardest part about fishing them is contending with all the other fisherman and figuring out the perfect size weight and presentation to minimize hang ups.....good luck

10. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    yes flatties love the spillways they come up from the tailwaters at night and feed on the baitfish that come out of the spill but if there are many people there at the same time as you, it can be a pain to reel a nice one in cause they'll most often get caught in another fishermens line (as from my own personal expeirience lol)

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have caught a lot of flatties at the denison dam below texoma, but never in the rushing water. there's a little creek that comes into the red river a mile or sown we used to catch shiners and perch there. after the water stops, the flatties come up the river and eat baitfish with everything else.
    if the spillway is always running, i would try to find current breaks and drift bait down through them.

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have caught several flatheads at Pike Island Dam. Most all of them were in a current break. The one problem I found when fishing below the dam is the gars would find the bait first. Be sure you take plenty of bait.

13. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    wen i fish spillways i fish right behind the white water or near curent breaks.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you guys are really lucky if you can get close enough to fish the waters right below the dam.here in arkansas you cant get within 50 to 100 ft. below the dam for the snaggers.soon as the fish start moving up river they start fishing.they bring their wives kids and any body else they can find so they can keep more fish.i dont even go up to the dam and watch anymore it breaks my heart to see all the big fish they are taking.i eat fish thats why i fish but i only keep what i can eat at one meal.any thing over 15 lbs. goes back.i have no problem with keeping a 40 lb.fish to eat.but some of these guys take 200 to 300 lbs.a nite and come back every week end.

15. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    The Carlyle Lake spillway is the first place I go to catch flatheads - end of february, first of march. Drift with the current with 1 oz. jig and nightcrawler. Lots of big fish with a chance for one over 50.

16. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I love fishing the spillways always have some great luck on catching flatties there. Just get alot of snaggs that is the only thing but if you want the big ones you have to go after them in there home. good luck and have fun. Shawn