Are drum good flathead bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by cateater, Aug 30, 2008.

1. cateater

cateater New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hello all, new member here. I was wondering if any of you all have had any luck using drum for flatheads. I always seem to catch alot of them when I am fishing for gills. I have tried them a time or two but didnt get any hits. Anyhow this is an awesome sight and if there are any diehard flathead fishermen in southeast MO let me know. All my friends are bass fanatics if they only knew what they was missing!

2. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    welcome to the club. just about any live bait is good for flathead. JUst hang in there it will happen

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't sayif drum is goo bait for Flats or not.Anyway Welcome to THe BOC/SOC Family. They have a Forum for just Flatheads check it out and see if it says anything.Plus all sorts of info in the BOC Libarary. Check it out all sorts of good stuff.Again WELCOME!!

4. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    I have never used them for bait but they may work very good the ones i catch are way to big to try to use alive i would have to make them into cut bait good luck on your cat chasing.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the club Nate

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    As far as I'm concerned any live wiggly thing in the water that's small enough to fit into their mouths is groceries for flathead,IMHO.

7. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have used them and have caught Flats on them , I don;t like any thing over 1\2 lb. thats just me though.
    Jim

8. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Ive used them cut. I honestly cant remember if I caught flats on them but they do catch fish!

9. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Welcome Cateater, I use drum chunks for general catfish bait. I don't catch many flatheads, but then again I don't use live bait very often. There is a thread in the terminal tackle forum about using drum for bait. Again, Welcome to the BOC. Doug

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yes, Ive caught flathead cats on drum before. The larger drums, I cut up and smaller ones use live.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the boc

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use them regularly. My two biggest flats have both come on cut drum (both of them with the head coincedentally). I usually use the heads of drum somewhere in the 1# to 3# range. They are plentiful here in Indiana, and readily bite on nightcrawlers. If you have them though, softcraws are the all around best bait to catch drum.

13. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    I have caught 2 of them this year on cut drum.

14. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive used them before never caught any big flats on them but alot of 10s and 20s.

15. BLUEBERRYBOB

BLUEBERRYBOB New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    This weekend my castnet ripped when fishing for bait and only had about 6 shinners in my bucket but these big drum 15 - 20lbs took all my bait so I gutted them and put all thier guts on a circle hook and caught 3 nice 10lb plus channels. but I guess any fish guts might do that. Thats what they get for messing up my flathead fishing.

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    their not their faverent, if you can get bluegill, first then shad, then, drum, but they ar not that great