are Chiropractors quacks

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathunter, Jun 27, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am trying to avoid surgery on my low back, and have just started seeing a Chiropractor.. whats your feelings on them?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Give it a try brother, anything beats the healing time of a scalpel if possible. :crazy:

3. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Had great success with them ... i played ice hockey for 16 years been through back leg joint pain broken bones i would still go to him before my family doc.. def worth a Shot :big_smile:

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I go to one every once in awhile for a little straightening and a deep heat massage.Works wonders on a tense back.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is what had been keeping me out of a wheel chair for the last 8 years. If I go on vacation or they do. It kills me.
    But they can not fix you over night. You did not do the damage over night. So please do not expect them to fix you over night. It took mine a month of going 3 days per week. To get me back where I could move.
    Also lots of places had a deal called Vax-D lots of people are having great luck with this unit.
    Pete

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a good question Jack. You have to make sure the one thats seeing you genuinely cares. Also, did he go over your MRI & take X-Rays to double check everything before he started cracking on you?
    If the answer is no to either one, find one that will do that.
    I've had good and bad experiences with them. I think one of the main reasons I had low back surgery so soon is he wouldn't listen to me and send me for an MRI after I told him cracking my lower back wasn't a good idea. I was in too much pain. He said he was the Dr and I would be fine. BS!!! Less than 3 months later I was being cut on, when he cracked my lower back it caused the pain level from a 7 to a 9 and a half or 10. I barely walked out of there with help. He just said I'd be sore for a couple days, I said BS, you hurt me worse than I was. If I was smart I'd have sued him. I told my surgeon and also a friend of mine that is a Chiropractor that I went to school with and he agreed that he never should have done it and listened to me, the patient.
    Sure, there are are some good ones out there. Depending on your condition whether their right for you or not. I'm not in the condition to go to one, I tell them what all is wrong with me or they see my MRI and they won't touch me. Way too much damage to my spine.
    Like Pete said, there is a lot of new treatments they can do to help you out. My mid back and most likely low back are pretty much gonna have to be surgically repaired. A chiro would just make it worse on me.
    You don't have all the problems I have so If I was you I'd give it a try.
    The first time they don't listen to you or hurt you worse(other that the expected general soreness) I'd quit in a heart beat. I have nothing against them, except for that one Quackopractor. Let me know when would be a good time to call you and I'll tell you more. I have a Lumbar MRI today at 1pm to find out what kind of damage that seizure caused but other than that I'll be home.
    Best of Luck to you Jack!!!:wink::big_smile:

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    To answer your question, some are and some are not. I have been to both types. The one I'm going to now has helped me out greatly. His adjustments have made my back better with less pain I was experiencing before. I had Sciatica and the pain was in my lower back, glutes, hamstrings and calves. I still have some stiffness, but at least I can bend over and touch my toes now. The stretches I do help tremendously. I do them mourning and night. As was said in a previous post, make sure the chiropractor takes x-rays and evaluates the trouble before he starts cracking away. I've been to a couple of Quack or Crackpractors before and the pain was still there.:angry::angry: I believe their in it for the money and could care less about your troubles. Do the research and find the right Doctor. Ask for references from other patients and ask them too. Back pain can be a serious issue! MRI(s) will determine if there is need for surgery or not. I had one done on my back and it showed nothing. My problem is muscular related as with most back troubles. An honest Chiropractor will help you, just have to dedicate yourself to keep going back all the time for the relief you need. It definently takes time and it will not happen overnight!!!!!!:wink::0a26:

Mark.

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I've had mixed results it seemed to help for a while but got worse than before after treatments were completed . That being said everyones problems are different .

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes, to answer your question simply and to the point. Chiropractors are quacks. It is your back and not the chiropractors. Your spinal cord is not reparable at this time by chiropractors.

As others have said you get one that might know what he is doing, he at least won't cripple ya. But how do you know? Surgeons may not do any better, but I like knives better that wheelchairs and pain. Like the old saying goes, pay now or pay later.

10. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would like to go back to the 1 I used to go to, but he moved away. Plus I can't afford it now.

The others are right, definately make sure they take a look at x-rays or MRI's before they touch you. The one I used to go to had me pick up the recent x-rays and MRI reports from the hospital and bring them to him. That way he didn't have to charge me for more.

Now a good one will want to see you a couple times a week to begin with. They are not just after $$, the good ones, they just need to do a little at a time so as to not hurt worse than heal.

Now if ya get one that lays a sugar packet on ya and then proceeds to explain the effects of sugar on the body......that's a quack!!! My sister had one of those and believed him, till she went to a different one and he explained where the nerve endings are that makes that possible. Showed how you can do that without the sugar. The first only wanted her to come back so he could "show" her how she was improving with treatments by moving the sugar a little, even though her pain stayed the same.

If ya ever get one of these guys you will understand what I mean.:wink:

Over all, talk to some of his (or her) other clients first and see what they say.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here is what mine did, he wanted to see my x-rays and mri...after looking at them he told me he could not fix the disk herniation....But still believed i could lead a pain free life without surgery.

He said very often the disk herniation is not causing the pain that most of the pain is muscle in nature.

Also told me the number 1 reason for low back pain was tight hip flexer muscles.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been to three of them.. their treatment was all the same and it would help... for about 4 hours.

Finally a good physical therapist did me some good that lasted. But it took several months.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Also, the one thing is they'll want you to come back 3 days a week for a week or 2 and then 2 times a week for a while and then 1 time a week for a long time(many months) they'll do whatever they can to keep you coming back. I hope it helps you though!!!:wink::big_smile:

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with John on this one. "Pay now or Pay later"

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    From MY OWN experience I'm still kicking myself for not having back surgery 18 years before I did.
    I should have had back surgery at 18 rather then 36.

Back surgery has come a long way even in the last 10-12 years.
    To correct herniation or bulging discs is not even an addmitance to a hospital nowadays.
    Its a 23 hour stay.

I went into the hospital unable to walk at 6am and was walking unassisted to the bathroom by myself by 1 PM.
    Average length of time out of work is two weeks.
    I went home with no pain pills.

I had disabilty insurance at work so I went ahead and had the surgeon write me out for two months. I spent those two months walking around the farm building my back muscles that were cut and stretched.
    My incision to repair L-4 and L-5 was an inch long.

Putting off the inevitable can have dire consequences.
    Instead of cutting a little bone out and relaligning the spine it culd turn into screws, rods, and pins.
    Depending on where its got your nerves pinched you could also lose control of your bladder and bowel.
    You can also suffer from permanent nerve damage.

I have some nerve damage because I waited too long to fix something that was simple to fix.

First person I would sit down and talk to is a good surgeon and then I would research that surgeon through the state surgeon board.
    The surgeon that did mine averages doing 3 a day.
    His success rate was 98%.

For 18 years I couldnt lay flat on my back with my legs flat. NOW I CAN!

The procedure I had is called a laminectomy.

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mark gave you my history, only mine was much shorter. Exactly as his history. I couldn't take the pain any longer and I am one tough SOB. My mistake was going to the chiropractor the first day it happened.

I have the scout films he took and the lesion is obvious, herniated disc. Fortunately I have some knowledge of tissue. Tissue is tissue, whether hog, dog or you. The guy wanted me back the next week for another (adjustment). I went to a slice and dice guy and it was the smartest thing I have ever done.

17. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I tried one about 15 years ago, an hour after leaving his office I couldn't get back up and the pain was worse. I quit going and just lived with the pain.
    Last month I decided I was done suffering and I was going to do something about it. Chiropractors were out and surgery was last resort.
    So what I did was try acupuncture. Not from a chiropractor but from a traditional chinese medicine physician. This guy knew what he was doing and managed to totaly remove the back pain that I had suffered with for years.
    I wish I would have done something earlier cause I almost forgot what painless was.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont have much stock in Chyropractors ,But I have been to a sports medicine dr and a DO they are similar to cyro's ,but they move things faster to alleviate the pain. I last went to a cyro an told him,I dont want to keep coming back for adjustments ,I just want one adjustment to stop this pain,That was 6 months ago,I still haave a little pain when I have to be on my feet for long periods ,but over all ,I can live comfortably ,till I need another ajustment,by the way I have degenerative disc desiese in my L 2-4

19. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The correct answer is yes and no! I had surgery 4 years ago and it didn't help but a couple of years. Never been to a chiropractor but I'm considering it. The only quick short term (once as long as 10 years) fix I ever had was cortisone shot in the spine. Crippled for 10 weeks and one shot I was like new in 48 hours. This lasted 10 years before surgery. 2 bulging discs and calcium deposit from an old motorcycle racing fracture. Paying for a mis-spent youth.

Life's journey is not to arrive at
    the grave safely in a well
    preserved body, but rather to skid
    in sideways, totally worn out,
    shouting.. Holy S#*#! What A
    Ride!!

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well after reading these post I think I am gonna get it over with and have surgery..Also my chiropractor told me he was gonna crack my back monday where the bad disk are, that scares me to death.