Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting Topic, especially when you are talking with someone who doesn't like catfish tournaments.

A portion of recreational catfish anglers practice a methodology called CPR,"Catch Photo Release". Some do so extensively. These types of anglers are what you call pure enjoyist, pretty much fishing for relaxation and to unwind from work or life situation. Others enjoy it just as immensely, but do keep some eaters to show for their efforts. As long as the fish kept are considered table fair size, the two sides get along pretty well.

The argument formed by those against tournament angling is they are not CPR events. The motivation to fish is for money and ego done under a veil of CPR.

They point out that CPR is not really CPR, but CHDWPR = CATCH > HOLD THEM > DRIVE AROUND >WEIGH THEM IN > PHOTO > RELEASE

Interesting topic, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
to each his own.period!!!!

ain't know right or wrong here,just different oppinions,and different up bringings.mho
my exact thought also. im not gonna dislike somebody for keepn a big fish or dislike em for not keepn. sometimes i think the discussion is way over rated really. to many folks wanna play sides as to what is wrong and what is right. i say lets just fish and get along and be happy. i have never fished a tourny. but im hopn tht is gonna change this year. i hve a uncle that won a tournmant on one single 10lb flathead. won 1100 dollars. lol

·
Banned
8,592 Posts
From a CPR perspective they aren't ethical.
Atleast as run today determining the winner by the weight of a fish at the end of a tournament.

There are much better ways to run a competition and promote CPR in running it.
It's just one of those things that nobody has the balls to step out and do something different.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Although some fish tournys for the fame and money it has been my experience that most tournament anglers go above and beyond and spend hundreds of dollars to insure there fish stay in top notch shape...I know I do....My fish are as tuff to handle when I release them than they were when I caught them...

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
I would argue that the most important aspect of tournament fising is the education opportunity. Yes the fish are held for a period of time. Most are delivered back into the river in better condition than when they are taken out.

But the key is education. Take our tournament trail for example. Very few people here in the Columbus, GA area practiced any type of release fishing. Most concentrated on Jugs and limb lines and how many fish they could pull out of the river. Now they rod/reel fish and everytime they go out with someone new or tell the story about the tournament the message is delivered to someone new.

Then there is the eye witness education (especially the kids). Most events have non-participating spectators that are typically just in the area. When they see us turn the fish back they will always ask why and that is when we explain the importance of releasing fish and keeping them alive. AND when the kids see the big fish it inspires them to pursue fishing as an recreational event that may keep them out of trouble some day.

So is fishing for money unethical.....................I don't think so. I believe it provides a quality competitive forum for us to promote the sport of catfishing.

Besides.......................I am mostly donating my money at these events

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Is it ethical, yes it is and this is how I see it and what I base my thoughts on.
The tournament anglers are very responisable and bring attention to the sport and teach catch and release.
If its not ethical niether is the CPR guys taken a picture to brag about it and release it for the fun of it, because this sure kills alot of fish also.
The fishing clubs do more for conservation and help fish hatcheries more on average than anyone else outside of taxes and fees.
The one that is unethical is the guy that harvest every fish that he or she catches and takes them home to waiste because they don't use all of he fish that they harvest.
One last thought, I used to fish a local striper tournament and I have made some great friends and learned a ton about fishing because of this little small home town tournament. If my work schedule was permitting I would still be fishing it every month. Yes we harvested fish but because of our love for our local fisherey every year our club has auctions and raise money to help the fish hatchery that supplies the fry our local lakes. So due to love of the sport and the few fish that the club kills it helps produce thousands more.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Tourament directors are a key factor. I refuse to fish or attend any of them up here. Nothin but a bunch of drunk yahoos that care more about the allmighty beer than anything else.

I've fished many of them down on the Potomac that were run first class by Tim Hagan. Good controls as well as a genuine care about the fish bein caught.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I would argue that the most important aspect of tournament fising is the education opportunity. Yes the fish are held for a period of time. Most are delivered back into the river in better condition than when they are taken out.

But the key is education. Take our tournament trail for example. Very few people here in the Columbus, GA area practiced any type of release fishing. Most concentrated on Jugs and limb lines and how many fish they could pull out of the river. Now they rod/reel fish and everytime they go out with someone new or tell the story about the tournament the message is delivered to someone new.

Then there is the eye witness education (especially the kids). Most events have non-participating spectators that are typically just in the area. When they see us turn the fish back they will always ask why and that is when we explain the importance of releasing fish and keeping them alive. AND when the kids see the big fish it inspires them to pursue fishing as an recreational event that may keep them out of trouble some day.

So is fishing for money unethical.....................I don't think so. I believe it provides a quality competitive forum for us to promote the sport of catfishing.

Besides.......................I am mostly donating my money at these events

I agree w/you up to a point....A fish is in better shape than before you caught it ? Maybe as good of shape...When you stick a fish in a livewell water may be perfect for those that go to the extremes of taking care of fish ...Other than water quality in the livewell fish will stress in a livewell and they can and sometimes give each other punture wounds from fins....That being said I am not against tournament fishing too expensive for me and I ain't got a fancy boat....I release big cats sometimes w/out even getting a pic .I hardly ever have a camera handy LOL !To each his own .The only time I keep big or sub-legal fish that are deep hooked not all make it ....I use circle hooks cattin so it doesn't happen often.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, I believe it is ethical. but i guess it depends on your definition of ethical. For peta it is unethical to hook a fish in the mouth and reel them up out of thier habitat causing harm and undo stress.. then also when my father was stationed in germany we had to club the fish and put on ice so that there was no suffering. but i for one thank GOD we still live in a free country.

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
They point out that CPR is not really CPR, but CHDWPR = CATCH > HOLD THEM > DRIVE AROUND >WEIGH THEM IN > PHOTO > RELEASE

Interesting topic, what are your thoughts?

Do a study on Release Mortality.

Just because a fish swims off on it's own after being caged up for hours doesn't mean it's gonna survive. The #1 killer in big fish is STRESS! And stress is what happens when you are in a aerated box for a long period of time.:handshake:

·
Registered
318 Posts

Just because a fish swims off on it's own after being caged up for hours doesn't mean it's gonna survive. The #1 killer in big fish is STRESS! And stress is what happens when you are in a aerated box for a long period of time.:handshake:
I agree.Does anyone really know what happens to the big cats that are hauled around for several hours then tossed back?????

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

I also agree with this 100 %%%% great point indeed

as far as tournies go and the cpr thing well

why not just take a photto of the fish with a tape measure showing how long and girth

and throw the fish back the person or team with the most inches wins !!!!

ya ya ya some one will say well he cheatted thats a old fish picture or some excuse why this idea wouldnt work

but hell if a guy is gonna cheat hes gonna cheat and could have the fish allready caught to bring to the scales

so in tournies pictures with fish and tape measurement both in the view ,, then release the fish quickly seems more towards cpr to me then haulling it around all day or night with 4 or how ever many more fish crammed together in a tank .

they are doing this more and more in ocean fishing tournaments every year so why not in catfish tournaments !!!!!

Im not a cpr guy or tournament guy

but anybody that thinks all the fish released after wiegh in at a tournament live are wrong .. im my opinion

infact a long battle reeling a big fish in and handling it in the boat can be enough stress to do much damage to the fish it may swim off but chances are and good chances it may die later

im not talking about the normal couple minutes or less to reel 1 in but the long drug out fights in heavy current would be like us running a marathon then sticking our head under water waiting to breathe .

the lactic acid build up and being out of the water being unhooked and then held for pictures and such kill more big fish then you think ..

cpr is a good thing but some on here blow it waaaaaay out of control and get mad waaaaaay to easy lmao

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Wow you guys must participate in terrible tourney's. I never fished a tourney prior to comin to Va. But here all fish must be live and able to swim off on their own. Still we know there is stress for keeping a fish for hours in a livewell but that's why they give you the option to bring the fish straight to the weigh-in and weigh the fish and let them go immediately and get back to fishing. If I'm in a tourney and have a fish 40LBs or smaller I'm quite sure I can keep them alive, 50 or better I'm weighing it in immediately so she can be released and caught again. I dont care about holding the fish until the end so people can see my fish because I take pics on the boat. I would rather you come to the weigh-in to weigh your fish and see my weight up there already lol. All tourney's I've seen minues 1 was a 2-fish limit anyway.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'll have to agree with Ramon. There must be some really bad tournys out there. Buggs island/Kerr lake hosts several catfish tournaments fom local fire dept fundraisers to the catfish showdown tournaments. We pride ourselves in CPR at all our tournaments. Anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours from the start the scales are open. All are 1 fish per boat to weigh in and it best be alive and if it doesen't swim away it's disqualified. There is no reason for anyone to lose a large cat. I will also add this some tournaments here theres a 100 boat average attending and have seen in excess of 150 boats on several occassions and no lose of a big cat.

·
Banned
10,335 Posts
Look, at least catfish are hardy animals. Imagine the Release Mortality on fragile fish like bass!

I know bass tournaments are starting to require all livewells to be super aerated. Maybe the catfish tournaments can do the same.

Not knocking tournament fishing, I'd love to fish in one someday.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.