Are Catfish Sight-Sensitive To Fishing Line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by spoonfish, Aug 28, 2005.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Ok guys lets get your views on this. "Do you believe they are sight-sensitive to fishing line color?" I see brite green, yellow, red and all other colors of fishing lines. I also see clear and comoflague in all differant varietys. What do you think, I'm sure there probably has been some old post on this subject but lets get your opinions.

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    From what I have heard and seen, I think that if you have really clear water, then you dont want to use a hi vis line, because the catfish can see it in the clear water, and wont go for it. However, if you have water that is kind of murky or muddy, or not very clear, then it is usually ok to use a line. Sight isnt the cats best sense, so unless something stands out really well (bright green in clear water) they they shouldnt care too much about it.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't think it makes a lot of difference, except maybe in really clear water, but I almost always use either flourocarbon or clear mono as a leader, anyway.

4. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Here is a cut and paste from another catfishing website.

"SIGHT. With their beady little eyes, it would seem catfish have poor sight. This is a fallacy. All our catfish have excellent vision. They frequently feed on live fish and use eyesight to capture this fleet prey. In clear waters, sight is probably the primary sense used to zero in on live forage animals.
    When you see a deer or raccoon in your headlights at night, their eyes glow from the reflection of light on a thin layer of crystals at the back of the eye, called the tapetum lucidum. This structure reflects gathered light back at the retina, greatly aiding night vision. Walleyes are probably the fish most known for having a tapetum. Catfish also have it but to a lesser degree.
    Scientists say rods and cones are present in roughly equal numbers in a catfishÂ’s eye. Rods allow vision in dim light, and cones offer color vision in daylight."

My opinion: I believe red is the best color of line to use. I read somewhere that it will not reflect light in clear water after 15 foot, making it invisible to fish, all other colors will reflect light to further depths. I just got some Cajun Red line to use as leaders on the end of my Power Pro. Abu

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    They may see it, but they don't give a damn. How else could you explain them taking bait on a limb line made from heavy twine?

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I fish in a fairly clear reservoir and use bright yellow 8 lb. line and it works great. Deepest place I fish it is 8 feet. God bless.

7. omots2

omots2 New Member

State:
    abrerdeen md
    when i am cattin i use bright orange&yellow.My son is a die hard clear blue user it does not seem to make any difference at all.But i really do perfer my line at night the light shining on it lits me tell avery little movement even carp dont seam to mind the bright collers :) Who knows maybe the fish are into all thin modren wild stuff ;like the yonger generation is :confused:

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'll never truly know what a catfish prefers.Studies say this and that,fishermen say this and that,but as we all know most the reels that are spooled up out there are spooled with what we as fishermen perfer.I'll stand frim in clear Ande.We are have our picks."We've all heard catfish talk,we just can't understand what they're saying"(lol) :D :D

9. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I Don't think that it matters about a Catfish seeing the fishing line that you use. If that was the case - fishing line come in all of those diffent colors (Think About It :confused:) .

I belive that you can have a peice of bait at the end of a chain - "and it will still bite". lol :happy:

But that's just my view on it. :confused:

You Guys Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

10. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Just as long as they dont see you.....

11. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I don't think it matters one bit. I think they can see the line but I don't think they care. Look at a trotline for example. With as much mono line that is broken off in snags/ floating in the water and other stuff that looks like line, I think they see this everyday and don't care if there is a meal on the end of it.

I don't use hi-vis line but I like the fact that you can see it at night. Only reason I don't use it is because they don't carry any 30lbs test close by.

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I used to bank pole and trotline fish alot and it never made a difference. I do think it can make a difference if the cats are under alot of fishing pressure or if they are not biting very strongly. On the other hand, if they are turned on in a feeding mode, it doesn't make the slightest difference.

13. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    I use Fireline in both smoke and yellow colors and catch fish on either line. Like the others have said, I think line color will only matter in clear water.

14. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    In my opinion, and it's the only one that counts as far as I'm concered, (hehe) only fisherman and line manufacturers care what kind of line we use. Catfish don't even know what a line is.
    I use a fluorescent because I want to see my line.
    Catfish ain't got no IQ, they operate on instinct.
    They don't even know the difference between a hook and a fish bone.
    You can catch one and throw him back and catch him again.
    They don't remember nothing and they don't outsmart anyone.
    They're just a dumb old fish.
    They're about as smart as a lizard.
    Their learning curve is a straight line.
    They have no reasoning abilities or any other human qualities.
    They are more like zombies. Must...eat...something...no...matter...what...it...is.
    They ain't no smarter than a goldfish.
    They have about as much sense as a stick.
    Their brain is smaller than a peanut.
    The only school they went to, didn't have no teacher, all they did was swim around eating stuff.
    They evolved from a time in the prehistoric past when brains weren't in demand.
    If they were so smart, they would have crawled from the mire and started walking around like we do.
    The reason they haven't gotten eaten until they are extinct is because they eat every thing they see before it gets big enough to eat them
    I know a lot people think fish are smart but all they really respond to is fear, if you scare them, food and once a year, a proclivity to reproduce.
    You can catch a lot of huge fish who have been around long enough to know better, on a well rope with a homemade hook as big as an anchor...and plenty of small ones too.
    In other words, they are eating machines.
    They will even eat your line, no matter what color it is, if you wad it up and throw it in the lake.
    Of course, I could be wrong. What do you think?

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    jackie,
    are you talkin about a fish or my sister???? :p

16. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Lol, is there some kind of resemblance?

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fish do group in schools,but they don't study (fishing line 101)or (the danger of hooks in the age of the laser). :D lol And they don't pass down story's of how grandpa disappeared one day while fooling around with some strange food he found on the river bottom.:eek: lol And why is it that we fishermen always seem to come up with so many reasons why the fish aren't biting, except for the fact they may just not be hungry!:confused: lol

18. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Jack, those are good points. I like the way you think.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I dont believe that catfish are spooked by seeing your line at all...even Hi-Vis line in clear water hasnt stopped me from catching cats in the daytime. Bass, trout, and walleye are a different story...it seems to matter alot. Like the guys have said above...if a catfish is wary of seeing fishing line...I sure havent noticed it when running my trot, limb, and log lines that are rigged with heavy duty nylon string....and i come back with a big ol mess of cats that found the bait on the end of literally a piece of rope good enough to eat. And we must be talking about fishing in the day time...because at night line visibility isnt even a factor anyhow.

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Although the post is straying a little I want to reply to your post.I don't fully agree with you on the dumb theory. They are gullible to food,but their instinct to live is a different story.We could catch every fish out there if they were as dumb as you think.Sure if you're able to get a hook ,line,and sinker near them your chances are high you'll catch the fish.The point I guess I'm trying to make is,"If we can't figure out the habits and life styles of the fish ,we are as dumb as they are". :sad: I think a fish with some age on it has learned things all through it's life.Trophy fish aren't easy to come across.I think every " living" thing on earth become wiser with age.If your dumb you can adapt,you don't adapt, you die.I just don't want to think the fish are stupid,because I feel stupid enough when I go out and fish all night without a fish,they win sometimes. :crying: Please don't think I'm debating you,I myself just have an opinion. :D :D :D