Are catfish line shy???

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 28, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    !!!!!! I KNOW YOU ALL WILL LOVE THIS ONE !!!!!!

I READ EVERYWHERE THAT THEY ARENT HOOK, LINE, SINKER, SWIVEL ,ANYTHING SHY:cool2:...... BUT THEN SOME SAY THAT THEY ARE :eek:oooh:

I PERSONALLY THINK THAT THEY DIDNT GET HUGE BY GOING AROUND AND MUNCHING ON ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING .....

I TAKE A SNEAKY APPROACH TO ANY TYPE OF FISHING JUST TO INCREASE MY CHANCES OF CATCHING A MONSTER....

SO ARE THEY LINE, HOOK, ANYTHING SHY ???

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im not real sure about that but i do know i rarely use more than hook line and sinker. i just put my sinker on bottom and use a dropper loop to tie on my hook about a foot above that. i do believe that less is more.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I think you are right. My ex-father-in-law used wire leaders for everything, freshwater or saltwater. I used good quality mono for everything unless I was targeting toothy fish (Pike/Pickerel/musky in fresh) then the wire would come out. I probably caught 5 times as many fish and usually bigger ones.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Personally I don't think they care one way or another. I will say I think they are sensitive to the resistance of the sinker some times. Or to the resistance that the bait is giving them when they tug on your line. But to say hey they will not bite if you use bright yellow/green line and they will if you use clear I just don't buy that. Look what a lot of your catfishermen use for color of line. Bright green's, blue's and yellows. They use this in muddy and clear water.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I know when Im hungry I dont care what color the plate is. :roll_eyes:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From my personal experience when fishing for trophy flatheads in the daytime line color matters..I switched to clear mono last year and my catch rate went way up, I was using floresent line before that.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't think so, huge cats and small cats are caught on 1-200lb nylon trot lines and such, a lot of it white. If they were so line shy they'd never catch anything on trot lines.....:confused2:

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Generally, I doubt it, but as catfishing becomes more popular, and more fishermen practice CPR, I can see it happening.

9. I don't believe catfish have a preference, but I do think it is best to be as diligent as possible with resistance.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i never really thought of it that way but come to think about it..... that really makes more sense then being line shy...... im sure a 50 lb channel cat knows what picking up a dead shad feels like..... you know?????

hey what is some of your favorite leader colors out there ????

i havent decided between clear BBG or cajun...

11. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I don't know i have thought the same thing a lot in the past. I always wonder when I have tight lines I have a lot of pick ups and drops. When I fish with loose lines and my bait clicker when the can run and not feel any pressure when they start to pull I most of the time put those fish in the boat. I dunno:eek:oooh:

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Look at it this way. If cats were line shy then trotliners and limbliners would never catch a thing cause they use huge nylon cord most of the time that can be easily seen or felt. Cats will rub all over trotlines if there has been scent put on it and end up getting foul hooked. So in my opinion they definately are not shy of lines.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Kevin on this one. Line size is not a factor. Resistance is a factor.

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

I NEVER .....EVER....EVER TIGHTLINE SO IM REALLY CONVINCED RESISTANCE IS MORE OF AN ISSUE THAN LINE COLOR

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i have catfished for 60yrs in tournaments an trotlines i allways fish with a tight line color is no factor except to the fisherman bait dose some people think cats will eat anything that stinks they favor what they eat most in any given water but what we think smells good may smell dif to them fresh is the ticket to more an bigger cats of any kind on any water.thats all roundhill