Are Catfish Line Sensitive

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 14, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Are Cats of any species line sensitive? I think they are in daylight but not so much at night.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I believe all fish of all species are line sensitive in that if it is visible they know it is there even if they don't know what it is. Some species are definitely more so than others.
    For sure the more a fish is caught and released the more wary it will become.
    I think you are correct in your thinking that daylight would be a worse situation than at night but luckily most of the water we catfish in is stained enough and deep enough that the visibility of the line would not be an issue.
    I'm sure catfish are sensitive enough to know it is there day or night, even if they can't see it...W

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use number 18 braided nylon for leaders on my cat bobber reels and i catch as many as anybody.i also use to use it on limb lines and trot lines so im gonna say cats arent line shy.most of my bigger fish are caught in the daylight.

4. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I would have to disagree with fish being line sensitive or trotliners and jug fisherman wouldn't do as well as they do.

5. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't think that cats are line shy because I have caught cats up to 40 or so pounds on my noodles and I use 250 lb trotline staging on them!

6. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I use large leader lines on all my set lines and limb lines and have caught many fish during the day hours, so I would have to say that they are not at all line sensitive. I use #18 braided/tarred line for my leaders on my set lines.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use 200 pound braided nylon trotline for a leaderline, and have not ever noticed not catching as many, nor a change in the size of cats I catch by doing so. they are aggressive feeders, if they were that sensistive they would drop the bait also by feeling 4-6oz. of lead being dropped in their mouth also when I use a straight rig consisting of sinker, bead, hook on the mainline! caught many good fish this way as well....rollo

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I don't feel that cats are line sensitive because they like to rub up against anything and everything tasting it. Catfish are covered with hundreds of thousands of taste buds all over their skin. They can taste things in the water as far as twenty feet away. Cats will rub up against things tasting it before they feed on it to make sure that it is good. They are essentially a swimming tongue if you can imagine that lol .

I have been trotlining all my life and have never had a problem with lines or size of hooks or even color or line or hooks.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If catfish were line sensitive, trotlines and setlines would not exist.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here are my thoughts on the subject!!!

Giving the conditions that catfish thrive in with all the logs, car parts, barrels, old trotlines, torn castnets and, broken off lines on all these objects, I can't see them being able to differentiate between the live ones (on your rods) and the broken ones.
    Also water clarity is almost nill in most places that the catfish thrives in (except in rare conditions).
    That combined with the facts brought up by others about trotlines and their successes, I doubt very seriously that they are line shy at all!!!

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in my river rigs i use 50# big game, which is pretty stiff. i used to use 20# and don't notice any difference in size or number of fish caught. when i used to run lines, we caught a fair amount of bass on our lines, so i think they are too line shy either, at least when a live frisky mudcat or bream is dancing in front of them.

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    The line itself isn't the issue, it is the resistance of the rig that is. Cats don't like a lot of resistance... so if they feel your rig and feel the pressure before you are ready, they will spit it out and you just cost yourself a fish.

13. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    I WOULD WORRY ABOUT HUMAN SCENT AND OTHER SMELLS(TOBACCO,GAS,OIL,ECT.)THAN LINE SIZE AND VISIBILITY.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I tight line when I fish and use 7/0 and 10/0 kahle hooks. If a fish feels the tension of my rig, it is to late to spit out the hook if he runs with it!!!

15. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    The points are so sharp on some these hooks it almost a chore keeping them out of your clothes. I had read about the sensitivity of channel cat and that a flathead could sense sense a bluegill about 30 ft away ? If memory serves which it may not.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I say cats aren~t line shy , when it`s time to eat they dive right in.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I really dont think they are I use heavy leader line 80# and never found them to be line shy at all !!!:wink:

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Catfish are neither line shy or hook shy.

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think that they are line shy. In all my experience of cat fishing and that numbers many years I have never and I mean never had them line up to get caught! lol

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Considering I have a 3" cork that is 4" from my hook and I catch catfish without any problem I seriously doubt the color of the line or weight ever enters the mind of the catfish!! :smile2: