Are Catfish in Your Favorite Fishing Holes Contaminated?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Sep 27, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Most reservoirs around here hold fish that have precautionary warnings. I live within a few miles of a stream called Poplar Creek, it runs right through two nuclear bomb making facilities, but there are some trophy fish in there because everyone releases most everything they catch. Catfish and striped bass shouldn't be eaten from Watts Bar Lake, Melton Hill Lake, and Ft. Loudon Lake. However, I have access to some honey holes, a couple of ponds and a few upland streams with pristine water if I decide I want some fish to fry.

I got a kick out of a sign at Ft. Loudon Dam. It says not to eat the catfish and sauger, and someone very neatly had printed with a Sharpie pen, "THE FISH HAVE AIDS.

So, do you feel safe in eating the fish in your reservoir? I always release any largemouth, striper, smallmouth, and usually catfish caught out of a TVA lake. But I usually keep legal crappie, yellow perch, walleye or sauger. I'm almost 57 years old and have been eating fish all my life.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always release mine, but one real danger IMO is just the mercury.

3. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    For what its worth i usually release fish i catch in the river if im gonna keep a few i fish creeks or ponds, i keep a lotta crappie in the winter blessed to have a good creek close by.

4. festus

festus New Member

In the early spring when the water is still cool in the lakes, I usually keep a few messes of yellow bass and crappie, along with whatever else is good eating, say sauger and yellow perch. Usually I won't keep a catfish out of a TVA reservoir above 3 or 4 pounds to eat.

5. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I thought that you had a certain GLOW about you! LOL.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I eat fish from the CC steam plant and up and down the Cumberland river. I do eat more stripers than cats in the winter. I haven't grown a 3rd leg yet.:big_smile:

7. festus

festus New Member

Yeah there's a lagoon that empties into the empties into Clinch River that runs right through the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Several years ago I had a friend who happened to luck out and draw a deer hunting permit for the area. This spot is highly restricted, behind a big fence. He took one of those pocket fisherman in there while he had the chance and caught an assortment of mutated fish.

This past spring the DOE killed out all the fish in their holding ponds fearing they would get into the creeks that empty into Watts Bar Lake. There's been nuclear waste stored in this area since WWII. The government around here, particularly TVA and DOE has polluted and contaminated more water than all the private industries in the area put together.