Are catfish biting on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by brother hilljack, Jul 26, 2007.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have been fishing several times in the past 2 weeks and have had no luck at all! Is anyone catching fish consistently? My big river techniques have a lot to be desired but I know my skills are not that bad. Come on people let me know your secrets!!!:roll_eyes:

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have been catching some here and there. Not one of my best years. I am going to be trying different techniques myself. One of the other problems also maybe that my usual "hole" has seen more fisherman than usual and a possibilty that it is starting to run dry. I have even been trying to fish for different species (shhh dont say it too loud) in a different location. A gentleman approached yesterday and said did you catch anything, I responded with a no. He informed that the guy who was next to me had caught about 5 or six. I noticed he was using a bobber and a worm. After about a half an hour later I decided to bring out my lighter tackle and did the same. I had something within about ten minutes of switching whatever it was got me hung up and I wound up of losing it. Five minutes later I was getting a few more strikes while previously nothing. At this point though it was getting late and I packed it up kinda of had that feeling that I was getting closer but decided to go home. :angry:

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have experimented with the slip bobber as well but did not have time to really work on it too much. I have noticed that the fish seem to be suspended (not sitting on the bottom) so this should help. The next time I go out I am going to rig two poles this way and try to drift them down the current to see what that produces.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah that should maybe work its worth a try. I have really used bobbers too much myself. Let me know how it works I think Iam going to rig one rod that way and one rod my usual rod.

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    yeah, cats are biting good right now. as far as being suspended, i don't know. i caught a 45 pounder 2 weeks ago right on bottom in about 70 foot of water. i caught 2 small blues last week also on bottom. these fish were caught below a dam in moderate current. a friend of mine said he caught 18 last friday all on bottom as well.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Anchored up huh?? We havent had any luck in cicny anchored up, but we nailed them last week while drifting.

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I must admit that I spend most of my time anchored up. I have been trying the drift fishing thing, but its hard to do since I usually have my family with me and my little girl requires some shade. I'll figure it out sooner or later. I have another post in reference drift fishing techniques, maybe you could give me some pointers.

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey riverking what areas does your club cover? I have a brother up in the Chillicothe area who is trying out this tournament thing. We fished the big one over at Madison Indiana in June and really enjoyed outselves.

9. handlonhardpack

handlonhardpack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ME and vlparrish fish a touramemt last night at milton KY boat ramp We took first place with just 2 fish We cought 2 blues 1 was 15# 1 8# We were lucky:crazy:

Wayne

10. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    No luck here.think maybe because of full moon

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    fish will actually bite better when the moon is in phase. we did real well last week on the full moon.

12. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im in northern,ky and ive had no luck. the gar keep eating my bait. i think it is this drought up and the fact there is hardly no current at all. catching small ones by the banks at night but have not seen a monster in 2 to 3 weeks. if u get bored thou the strippers have been biteing real good lol

13. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks everyone for the useful tips please keep them coming...

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going out again tomorrow morning, hopefully I can change my luck some. This heat has made everything lazy!

15. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I am new on the Ohio River scene, but I've caught a couple of small Flatties lately with live bluegills. Nothing worth bragging about.

16. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i said yesterday its been slow but went 2day and the blues were hungry. caught 3 over 15 lbs and several smaller 1s. i hope this meens they are done fasting lol

17. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    We fish the down town cincy are of the markland pool..I was at the madison classic too, it was a pretty good time.

18. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I have too agree 100%

19. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    A friend and I caught (3) Channel Cats Saturday night. The biggest being 4-5 LBs. We were using hot dogs and garlic shrimp. We only stayed until about 12:30 am. I am sure if we would have had time to catch some live bait, we probably would have done better.