Are catfish afraid of people!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Blacky, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I see the noodlers lugging behemoth cats out of the water and was thinking are they afraid of people? If you were nestled in your hole and some huge human comes and swims around your home, would you leave and get the hell outta there? Do they stick around because of the parental instincts of protecting thier children? Many animals will abandon thier young if in danger.

2. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    They do try to leave but the method to my understanding is to block them into the boxes so you can get your hand in their mouth. Yes they are instinctual that anything larger than they are could eat them and survival instincts are activated.

3. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I'm afraid of humans that are crazy enough to stick their hands into holes hoping that it's a catfish that bites them. I respect them--- they just make me a little nervous.

4. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    AMEN yeppa I am with you

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Yep them Catfish are Skared of Me,They don't seem to come around when I'm in the area!!! Guess I'm just to Perty. LOL J.D.
    :wink:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hech JD, ya skeeeered me when I met you and it wasn't cause you was perty either, LOL!!!!

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just the little ones. They'll fin the whey out of you. LOL Oklahoman's don't use the noodle boxes as they are illegal. We catch them under rocks, under logs, or in holes in the bank. Only a fool noodles alone as to many things can happen. The second or third noodler can and usually will) block additional holes under the rock/log/etc so whoever found the fish has the pleasure of noodling it. If you can see the cuts and scrapes they come up with, you wouldn't think it was a pleasure.

8. xkid

xkid New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    What I don't understand is how people don't get scared that it might be a snapping turtle they are going to grab.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    They should be more afraid of Beaver and muskrat than a turtle:crazy::crazy::crazy:!!!!

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Only the fraidy cats:eek:oooh::smile2:.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jerry, the big cats run the turtles out of the hole. Beavers too. They'd take a snake to dinner in a heartbeat. All the hazzards come from moving from point A to point B. LOL

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Yep JW Some of Us Have it ,and Some Don't!!! Ain't I Lucky? LOL J.D.:wink:

13. xkid

xkid New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    So your telling me that turtles are afraid of cats? I thought they could snap a cat in half?

14. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    well i hear of large blue catfish attacking scuba divers maybe us human should be very afraid again i say very afraid rick

15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know about humans in general. but, they're afraid of me! lol, ask em'...

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I don't belive animals know fear, otherwise they would also know love, the other basic human emotion.

What they do know is that everything in their world is either a) potential meal, or b) a potential problem.

Catfish CAN be conditioned to tolerate humans, such as the one that eats out of the attendants hand at Bass Pro Shops in Charlotte. This is conditioning, not a show of love for the handler. You can teach about any animal alive to do the same thing with food.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Isn't a dog and animal? They certainly show love and fear.