Are carp line shy?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 29, 2009.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I thought i heard somewhere that they are, but i'm not for sure

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Marshall,
    Carp are not line shy any more than any other fish until they have been caught and released a bunch of times. They seem to be able associate things with other things and after being caught repeatedly they become very wary of line, weights, bait flavors etc. that they associate with being caught...W

3. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I never knew that thanks for the info:wink:

4. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Thanks, i never would have thought carp were this smart

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Don't think so. As if you can catch them on a white #21 line on a trot line. Don't think mono is going to bother them.
    But like Winston. They may after being caught a few times remember.
    Some people think Bass are like that. But I have caught bass 2 hours after they were put back into the water at a Tournament. Shoot the guy even had a picture of the fish. And a few of them were there when I caught it and we weighted it in 2 hours 5 minutes of them weighing it in. LOL
    Pete

6. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I am fishing on topwater floating bread then I am 100% convinced that the smaller the line diameter the more takes, or attempted takes I get. With thicker line the fish nudge it and swim away. I can get hookups on bigger line but my quality fish come on the smaller diameter, like braid or small mono. This does not mean that carp will not bite thick nylon, but it does mean that a more delicate presentation will increase bites and hookups. I also use thinner leader lines because the smaller my leader diameter the better my fish and catch ratio has been.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i use 20 lb bass line and 30lb big game caught big carp one both over 20 on liver in the great miami and city ponds they were not that picky rick