Are carp bad for the ecosystem

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by lightningmetal10, Apr 22, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    here on Long island we have a few carp... not to sure if they are accidents from dumb petowners or whatnot. At my nearbby pond we have one or two carp. Should (if they were to be caught) they be killed? I have heard terrible stories about carp filter feeding and destroying fish habitats. believe me aI do not want my usual fising hole to be destroyed by some bony asian fish. Any answers? Thanks in advance
    Joe

2. lightningmetal10

State:
    new york
    BTW the species in my pond are bass, few perch, bullhead, and bluegill/redbreast/pumkinseed

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Joe,
    I would think it would depend on the type of carp. It wasn't clear if this pond is private owned or public. If its not your own private pond they may have been put in to help control algae/weeds.
    The grass carp (common name) is often put in ponds down here to control excessive weed/algae growth. They are sterile so the population getting out of control is not an issue.....

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah the grass carp are a good thing they keep the pond or lake clean.Its the asian ones you dont want around.

5. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    carp are a fun fish to catch and they get huge i don't think i would kill them off just for the fact i have so much fun with them, now on the other hand i have heard many bad things about the asain carp.

6. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Asian carp need to be taken care of. The other carp however make for great sport. :)

7. lightningmetal10

State:
    new york
    Thanks guys! I think i have a grass carp so we're ok lol...
    Joe