Are bullheads good to eat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I catch some big ones in a muddy lake that I fish, and my dad is under the impression that you should only eat blues, channels, and flatheads. I don't know if that's right or not. Would I just fillet them like every other cat? Should I dress and fry em the same way? And lastly, do they taste as good as channels?

Thanks,
    Adrian.

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    They taste just fine to me. Usually only eat them when I'm pulling an all-nighter and there's an over abundance of them and my appetite..lol. Anyway, I just filleted them like every other catfish I catch. And cook them the same too. Hope that answers your question good enough.

-Red

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I really like eating bullhead but the downer to them is their size. It's kinda like bluegill. Not much there but its worth the effort to clean em.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Great eating fish. Good flavor. I cut the head off, skin them and cook them whole panfried.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yep they're delicious. it's really easy to clean them, just pull the skin off then cut the head off and remove the dorsal and anal fins too.

6. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I noticed you mentioned the Lake was muddy. Which brings me to my thought. Any fish can taste bad if there not preped right in your case if your getting them out of muddy water I'd make sure I soaked them in a light salt water solution over night in the fridg I like to put a layer of Ice over the top of them.
    The next day rinse them in cold water two or three times then your ready to either cook them or pack them away into the freezer. Just my two cents worth.
    Loop

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when i first started fishing for cats with my uncle we threw all the bull heads back.when my dad,who didnt fish,found out he made me promise to keep the bullheads.they were his fav.fish.and yes they were good.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Are bullheads good to eat?

Ask any Flathead if they are good to eat, they love'm, LOL!!!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I eat bullheads, they are real good to eat.

10. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Yes, fine fish. Cut of head, skin, de-fin, lightly roll in flour(paprika, salt and pepper added) and pan fry. You wont regret it:wink: