Are big catfish ok to eat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by snakeman76, Jun 10, 2009.

1. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I hear a lot lately from people saying that them monster cat are not safe to eat. I really don't know the right answer.I eat small cats up to the 10# range everything else goes back.Some people say catfish are bad for you period now I say bull cause I been eating them all my life.What do you say? are the big ones safe are not?:confused2:

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've grown up eating cats of all sizes. The real giants go back, but in the past we've eaten fish up to 35 lbs. Many bodies of water in AR have mercury warnings. Fish from these waters may contain unsafe levels of mercury. This usually refers to eating preditory fish, in which mercury builds up quickly do to their consumption of the smaller mercury laden fish.

I say check local warning, enjoy fishing, and enjoy the eating.

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i have ate bigger fish in the upper 20s and i am still alive:smile2: but i enjoy the taste of the smaller ones a little bit better and it takes them so long to get to trophy size that i usually let anything over 10lbs go. and like said before i would check local rules and reg book they usually have a fish eating chart.

4. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    why would u want to eat the big ones? I belive the bigger they are the more mercury they will have in them, besides that the bigger they are the better they can protect thier fry better which in return more fish for everyone to enjoy just my .02

5. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    actually my post says I release anything over 10# I am just curious in what people know rather its safe to eat them are not:wink:

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I release bigger cats because I belive in preserving there genetics for future fish

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    the bigger ones wouldnt be AS safe to eat then the smaller ones would to make a long story short.bigger ones are older and have collected more junk in there systems.If you do eat the bigger ones just make sure you cut out the yellow meat or the red looking meat,thats where most of the bad stuff collects. the rest should be ok.

8. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Thanks James thats pretty much what I been hearing lately.I would never harvest anything bigger than 10# i've never eaten anything bigger than 10#

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    We had a PCB warning on a river several years ago and it recommended
    not eating catfish over 4lb.s. That would lead you to believe that the larger
    catfish would be more harmful to you than the smaller ones.

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Just think about it this way a smaller fish has not been around as long to absorb the harmful heavy metals an pcb's as a older larger fish has . An other way to think of it a small dose of poison will not kill you as fast as a large dose of poison will ,well not most people anyways :wink:

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I personally wouldn,t worry about eating any catfish from a health perspective.I grew up here in Pittsburgh when they still had God knows what in the air and water,I drank for 30 some years,I smoke two packs of butts a day.I don,t know what I,ll eventually die from,but I,ll gve you 1000 to 1 odds it AINT gonna be from eating any kind of fish!:wink:

12. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Probably the best answer here is 'Depends!' and that covers a lot of ground. Consider this:

Are Georgia’s Fish Safe to Eat?
    Yes. The quality of fish in Georgia is good. Fish and seafood are nutritious and can play a role in maintaining a healthy well-balanced diet. This booklet provides you with the guidance and recommendations to use in eating fish in a healthy and informed manner. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has one of the most progressive fish testing programs in the southeast. A variety of different fish species were tested for 43 separate contaminants, including metals, organic chemicals and pesticides. Many of these contaminants did not appear in any fish. However, two contaminants, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and mercury, were frequently detected in significant amounts in a few species from some bodies of water in Georgia. Four additional contaminants, chlordane, DDT residues (DDT/DDE/DDD), toxaphene-like compounds, and dieldrin were also detected infrequently. This publication provides you with information on those six contaminants: PCBs, mercury, chlordane, DDT/DDE/DDD, toxaphene and dieldrin."
    Taken from http://www.gaepd.org/Files_PDF/gaenviron/fish_advisory/GADNR_FishConsumptionGuidelines_Y2007.pdf
    if you care to know more.
    Supposedly, the most polluted of all fishes are the pellagic saltwater fish such as the king mackerel; which is a "Do Not Eat!" for any fish over 39" long.
    And all the lakes and rivers are listed with the results of tests and the specific pollutants found in the body of water.
    Guys, we have truly fouled our nest - they say that the PCB's will still be with us some 2500 years from now and I doubt any of us will still be chasing catfish then

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    your welcome brother glad i could help.

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure how safe eating big ones would be. Most waters have warnings of some kind concerning fish consumptions. I used to catch and eat all my fish, but since joining the BOC and becoming aware of CPR , also the possible dangers of consuming too much fish, I now limit myself to about 3 or 4 meals per month of fish. I also prefer the taste as much as anything of Bluecats around the 5 lb mark. To me these are the best eating size. I can clean 1 fish and have a great meal for me and the wife. No waste....no leftovers. So these are the size fish I target when I want to put up a few bags in the freezer. Everything else goes back.:cool2:
    Also let me say that Although I practice CPR....I dont care how many fish someone else takes home to eat.....or how big! When you catch a fish it is your right to do whatever you want with it.

16. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Hey Ted that was some excellent info you posted,all you guys have great info thats why I like this site good people with lots of info :big_smile:

17. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I agree with your post 100%. PCB never goes away but in time being
    heavier than water and collects on the bottom, and over time will be
    covered up by silt. But any time the bottom is disturbed it will be back.
    So if 100 years from now the bottom is dredged it starts all over.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This is a little bit of what the EPA say about mercury in fish.

How do you tell if mercury is present in fish?
    • Mercury is odorless and colorless.
    • There is no way to clean or remove mercury. It can’t be cut, cleaned or cooked out.
    • Water Quality Criteria of 0.3 parts per million (ppm). Fish found to have this amount of mercury or less in them are deemed "safe".
    To say it is only in the fat is just a myth. It is in all of the tissue just a higher concentration in the fat.

19. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    I don't know of anyone being harmed from eating a big cat, but if you ask me meat wise the one to two pound cats are the best eatin anyways.

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The big older fish will have more time to soak in our PCB and pollution filled waters.

Would you eat bull meat instead of calf?

CPR the bigguns!:cool2: They taste like crap.:smile2: