Are any of these skipjack ?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Drawout, May 1, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Caught these in cast net and they look different then most shad i catch the big ones are they skips ? I know one of them is a small carp/buffalo and their are a few perch.

Attached Files:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nope.

Most of those are gizzard shad.

You say they are different from most shad you catch. Are most of your shad threadfin shad maybe? Doesn't matter much, they are all good bait.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    id have to say they all look like shad tp me some nice looking big shad at that

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
  5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thanks guys i guess when they get bigger their scales are more distinguished and that throws me off .

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Look at their noses....Gizzards will always have rounded noses while I don't believe the skipjacks do. I'm not sure if there are any skipjack where I cast net. I mostly catch gizzards/mullet but have great success with the gizzards so I'm not complaining. :)

7. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Skipjack herring look just like a tarpon and have a protruding lower jaw. Those are all shad and will make GREAT bait!:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh:

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    could be mooneyes or goldeyes, its hard to tell

9. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Nice looking bait size for sure!

Johnny, howd they get so "scaled"?:confused2:

Wolfman said it right-mooneye look like goldeye but mooney has silvery eyes,more pointed anal fin (and begins farther behind dorsal fin) and dorsal fin has 11-12 rays instead of goldeyes 9-10 rays.

Here is a pic of glodeye and skipjack side by side.
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/8167-skipandgoldeye.jpg

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Not sure what you are asking , I just mean their scales are more noticable when they are big shad. So should i stock up and freeze some of these while they are plentiful ?

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    john freeze some for an emergency.keep using fresh shad and every 2 weeks put fresh shad in the freezer.keep your bait as fresh as possible.johnnie

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In one picture there looked like there was one bluegill and one small carp of some kind along with the shad. No skippies in the pics

13. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Save 'em! They are very good catfish bait! Got them, skipjack and suckers in the freezer.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ps john that small carp is good bait also and it keeps better than shad.johnnie

15. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thats good to know cause i was catching lots of them small carp also.Ill save more tommorow.

16. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Ok, so now that I've seen the picture of the skipjack, its got me wondering also. I fish a coastal river, so occasionally I see needle-nosed gar (the saltwater ones, not longnose!) and we get a lot of mullet. I have also caught baby sand trout in the cast net and now, what I thought was a baby ladyfish. I'm starting to wonder whether this was really a baby ladyfish or a skipjack.

Here's a picture, sorry its a little fuzzy.

Attached Files:

17. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ok, ive put this off long enough lol.
    are there fresh and saltwater skipjack? i used to catch skipjack in the saltwater bays. Dont have any idea if theres any where i fish now(250 miles inland in texas). a couple years ago i caught some that at first i thought was some huge minnows on a lil piece of worm. they were about 6 inches long and looked just like a tarpon. figured they were shad.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Stu, that's definitely a ladyfish, not a skipjack. But a very bloody fish that makes a good shark bait, so should make a good catfish bait.

Daniel, yes, there are saltwater skipjack, and they get much larger than the freshwater skippies. There's even a type of boat around Chesapeake Bay called a skipjack after the saltwater skipjack.

While some folks seem to have had some success freezing shad, I haven't. It turns red & mushy, and just doesn't seem to attract blues at all, and channels much less than fresh shad. Skipjack & carp will freeze much better.

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those would make some good cut bait. They looks like Shad and Skipjacks.

20. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Cool, that baby ladyfish was cast-netted 63 miles (by river) inland!