are 7mm-08 rifles too powerful for whitetail?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bigwig531, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This was my first year hitting my target. i sat in a corn field watching a pond for nearly 4 hours in the blistering kentucky cold... 7mm-08 under long range scope in head and tuned to my perfection..
    i desided "if i dont see a deer in about 15 minutes im heading home" time passes, i hear some moving in the brush, big tom turkey pops out and i start watching him at this point a very nice 10 pointer was less then 50 yards away coming around the hill in plain site. i catch him in the corner of my eye, sling my head around and almost poop. i expected a doe or a fawn my first ever deer not a 200 pound 10 pointer, i raise my gun and place it on my knee looking down the scope waiting for the perfect moment to squeeze the trigger.. he walks within 40yards and turns broadside to me, i count the points over and over in my mind telling myself this was an amazing deer please dont mess up.
    ipull the trigger, and watch he jerks stops looks at me and runs away, dead shot i saw blood fly on impact it was a great like up shot with remington coreloct ammo.

i wait, and wait, and wait. i go looking for this animal that i just knew was 10 yards into the wood line piled up waiting to be found. it was a clean shot in one side out the other, found ALOT of blood, a peice of bone almost 3 inches long and lung mass, searched for the deer untill 3 am and gave up due to weather, as i came in and told my story i had a search party for thenext morning, we found the deer the nextmorning he was laying at the bottom of a bluff and ran off when he spotted us. there was a ton of blood where he was laying but when he ran he jumped a log, never found another spot of blood within 100 yards, everyone covering every inch.

maybe it was a horrible shot?
    i was told 7mm-08 was to high caliber for thin skined animals, any truth to this?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 7mm/08 aint too much gun ,but your ammo might not be matched to the animal your hunting ,My son shoots a 7/08 and I handload his ammo using 140grSierra boattail softpoints,and 120gr speers. both perform well on mulies at modest ranges,Isuspect the range was so close that the bullet didnt expend its energy into the deer ,and the shot must have been off ,but if there was definitely lung tissue,it must be super buck. good luck recovering him .I bet youll find him piled up in the morning.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not too much gun. Better for long range, but I don't believe in too big or too small, just proper ammo choice for the conditions, and game. They said .300 mag was too big. I found it perfect for where I hunt, and damage to the deer I killed with it was very minimal. I just used Super-X soft point 150 grain bullets. Tiny intrance wound, and tiny exit wound, but massive damage inside the chest cavity. Everything but the heart was liquid, and the heart was no longer attatched to anything...just floating in bloody goo. I've never shot a 7mm-08, but I think it's just a matter of shot placement, and propper ammo. He's dead somewhere...go find that rack. Get some dogs or something. Good luck.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have to agree with the other guys here. the gun is not too big. sounds like a leg shot deer to me according to the bone you found. i have never seen a 3" bone from a lung shot. beings the deer was still alive the next morning also indicates this to me. they are a tuff animal and he may run for miles if it was a leg shot.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My grandson has one, and in my opinion, it's almost a perfect whitetail gun, at least in our area. Great ballistics, light recoil, and those Hornady 139 gr. light magnums will drop 'em dead.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Kevin, welcome to the BOC/SOC:cool2:. I agree with everyone else it is not to much gun for whitetails. It was definately not a lung hit and as said above sounds more like a low leg/shoulder hit. Might be lucky to find him.

7. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah the deer was HUGE, i was excited and everything was going perfect. from my experience tracking deer with my father lung shot deers dont go to far, that is why i was thinking he was right inside the woods.

i may never find em but at the same time i saw and hit so im happy.

what i use are remington coreloct 139 gr. and W-chester powerpoints 140 gr.

maybe better luck next year, atleast i hope so.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you said it all in your last post buddy,you just had a case of buck fever an made a bad shot,if you are able try to find the deer ,if you dont ,chalk it up to experience.Also I would spend considerable time this summer shooting your rifle at diff. distances in real hunting situations. so you and your gun become one. oh dont feel too bad about the buck fever ,it happens to most of us ,I once shot one antler off a huge milie when I was 18 ,aint never seen a buck even close to it ever since either.
    also welcome to theBOC

9. bigwig531

bigwig531 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i got a great deal on it is the reason i went with 7mm-08, i was looking for a 30-30 or 30-06 i stoped at the local pawn shop and i knew the lady pretty well so i asked if she had any decently priced 30-30's and she went in the "gun room" in the back and came out with the 7mm-08, she said she would take 250 for it it was 265 tax and all, plus it had a long range Konus scope and box of ammo. at the time i knew my g/f shot 7mm-08 and her father paid around 500 for her's so i went ahead adn got it on impulse, kinda wish i would have went with somthing different, its practically a new gun..

the first shot the shell expanded so big it wouldnt come back out of the chamber so i took it to a gunsmith and he found a bur on it took a little drill-ma-jiger and got it out for 5 bucks and have had no trouble since.

thanks for the post guys.

10. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 7mm-08 is a "deadly" round.................308 necked down to .287 caliber. That caliber was a "wildcat" for years before becoming a "standard" caliber. Very good accuracy from the round itself ( could be other variables w/different rifles, but overall the round itself is considered Accurate)! The 140 gr (139 also) class bullets in this caliber are considered ideal for deer size game. From what you said...it sounds like a leg hit, but what I dont understand is the "lung tissie"? If you didnt push the deer too hard, he should have been piled up (even with a single lung hit) within a couple hundred yards. What did the blood look like from where he bedded over night? Make sure for deer that you use good qaulity expandable bullets that arent too heavy of construction, example...In winchester a cxp2 rating not cxp3 (heavy boned animals such as elk) The remmington cor-lokt bullets usually expand good on deer sized game, even on broadside shots. Some "bonded bullets tend to over penetrate. Example Trophy Bonded bullets or Nosler Partitions. Hope this helps some, but dont give up looking untill your sure the buck is not "dead".

11. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i know plenty of people who'll swear by the 7mm-08 for whitetail. im with everyone else, it doesnt matter so much what caliber you're shooting, be it a .243 or a 300mag, it's shot placement that counts most. proper load size and bullet is key as well.

i use hornady ballistic tips. 7x57 Mauser. nearly microscopic entrance wound. i haven't been able to find where my shot went in on the skin, i have to gut it to find the entrance. the exit is small, but big enough to leave a good blood trail. and it jellifies everything in between.

just my 2 cents

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You've got one of the "premier" white tail rounds! It doesn't matter though what you're shooting. If you don't hit the right spot, you'll have tracking problems. I've seen several deer shot in the shoulder with rounds that exploded on impact but wouldn't penetrate. The guys found the same signs you did, but no deer. I shot two deer this year with a 140 grn 7mm mag, and neither exited the deer. They both opened up dramatically on impact! If I had hit the shoulder, then I never would have hit the vitals.

Most people I know that use a 7mm use the 150 grain bullets for better penetration. In the 7mm-08, probably the best deer killer is the 150 grain ballistic tip from nosler. One of the guys I've hunted with for years uses this round and has shot countless deer and all have dropped with one shot.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Like these guys said, it's a good gun for deer but the bullet makes a world of difference. Shot placement is the next most important thing. Sorry you lost him.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i used my uncles 7-08 this year to kill my first deer in several years, I lung shot a "freak" buck at 150yrds. I used a hand load 120 grain balistic tip. The deer was piled up within 30 yrds. I was suprised at how little damage was done on the lungs and how little bloodshot meat there was on my deer. The entrance hole was normal and small but the exit was only 3-4 times as big. I thought my bullet would expand more and fracture up on impact but it did not.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Ammo is everything.
    Its like ballistic tip bullets. They are junk inside of a 100 yards. Once that bullet starts slowing down a tad they strike like lightening.
    Its why alot of folks dont like them. They hunted them to close with the round.

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a Remington Model 7 in the 7mm .08 caliber and it is my prefered deer rifle. :cool2:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If your exit hole was that much bigger ,The bullet did what it was intended to do ,It expanded and expended its energy into the deer.

18. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have one in a Remington 788 and it is deadly and is carried most days in my pickup. I do reload for it and I have no problem with any animal shot with it running away. Try another bullet and I think you will not have any problem with it.

19. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    My wife had a 7mm-08, never had to track a deer, they fell right there. It's all in the ammo.

20. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Never use target ammo for hunting.it doesn't expand properly,at short range or long range.imha