Archery Setup for Hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by RiverKat, Feb 22, 2008.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I just booked my 1st hog hunt for late March. I shoot a longbow, and am looking for some insight into finished arrow weights,and types of broadheads used. Anybody out there shoot hogs with stick & string?

Dan

2. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    i have before. i wasnt using my own gear though it was a friends. i do know the sticks were cherry and we used a to bladed broad head lighter arrow then i would have thought. if youre a decent shot and you GET a decent shot im sure youll be fine with what ever you use for other big game

3. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I have killed many hogs 12 one spring with my compound and used several different broadheads. Some were good others just weren't any good. Stay away from a 2 blade head. I shot a big boar at 12 steps with a 2 blade cut on contact and buried it to the fletchings and never found him. You need a 3 or four blade design preferably a 4blade cut on contact design. A hog is different than a deer, they have a thick layer of fat 3-6" and a two blade hole won't bleed. The head i had the best success with was the steel force 4 blade serrated blade. I haven't been able to get them to shoot well anymore. I think they changed the design or something. I do like the magnus stinger 4 blade.Wensel woodsman would be great. Just make sure it will cut a hole that wont plug with fat. Also aim kinda low The top 6-8" inches of a hog is nothing but muscle bone and grissle. If you shoot a big hog try to shoot a quarting away shot the shoulder plate is tough on big boars. Something 150# or smaller you should penetrate one side but with a traditional bow a quartering shot would be best on a big boy. The heart is located pretty low right against the front shoulder at the elbow. It would be wise to carry a big pistol or shotgun tracking. I shot one between the eyes after getting down from a stand at dark with my bow.I had 15-20 hogs come up on me 15 ' away, waite 2 hours to track and found him alive backed against a downed tree in the dark with no gun or bow to finish him off.had a large knife, luckily found a good green limb and knocked him down and stood on his neck so he couldn't move so i could take care of him. That was the only time i went without My pistol or a shotgun to trail. Luckily it only weighed 80lbs. Never again!!

4. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've been more than pleased with the Woodsman head on deer. Looking forward to putting one in a hogs boiler room.

Dan

5. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    The name of the game is shot placement if you get the right spot any good broadhead that stayed together will go the trick .
    I would pick the one that you can shoot the best at your max yardage . That is the one that I would hunt with

6. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    YES! aMEN TO THE SHOT PLACEMENT. I'VE HUNTED HOGS A LOT AND STILL DO, GUIDED HOG HUNTERS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AND SAW THEM SHOW WITH EVERYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE. Personally, I use a mechanical called VORTEX made by Mar Den.. It's made from axle steel used in race cars and these things WORK. But, so do most other well constructed broadheads. The ones I shoot are 125 grain and open to 2 inches on impact. You can get them theat open to 2.75 inches. I've killed elk with these though they probably are less than ideal. I'm on the Mathews Pro Staff and shoot a lot but on game, I'm VERY picky. I wait for the slam dunk shots, thus I can get by with the big mechanicals. Just learn where your arrows are going at all reasonable shooting distances, take your time when shooting game, and put them there. GOOD LUCK! luke clayton