Archery Buck

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I know this has nothing to do with fishing but I got myself a nice 7 point buck yesterday 11-10-07. It was the last day of archery season. I had been out only 2 times the first 5 weeks of the season due to excess overtime at work :crazy:. I took vacation days for Thurs. & Fri. and was off Sat. so I hunted hard those days and Sat. morning at 7:35 I was rewarded :big_smile:. The buck came into a scrape I was hunting near and I got a nice clean 12 yard broadside shot and he didn't go far. Now I'm ready to get the fishing gear back out! Pic attached.

Attached Files:

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice looking buck scott, now your ready to go catfishing again. lol

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Way to go Scott!!!

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    congrats to ya , on the harvest thanx's for share'n the pic.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Nice 7 ptr!! I got a doe early in the season but the bucks have kept their distance from my bow.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice one. Big bodied buck, what ya been feedin him?:smile2:

7. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Nice going Scott, even though I dont hunt anymore I still like seeing a nice pix. of a buck from time to time taken with a bow. Today I was getting ready to eat dinner when I looked out the window there was a smallish 6 pointer stalking 4 dow's in my yard. It's rack was a 4x2. About 10 min's later 3 Turkie came walkin through, all long beard's. Man I love liven in the wood's.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Scott, thats a dandy!!

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Yo Scott! I'll take any unwanted deer sausage!

I would like to try deer hunting but don't know where to start.
    How do you start deer hunting?

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Blacky - The 1st step in becoming a deer hunter is to take a hunters safety course (check your local newspaper, there are many being given this time of year by sportsman clubs and the game commission). Once you complete the hunter safety course (the course usually is a 2 day, 8 hour each day event) then you can purchase a hunting license. I don't want to write a book here on all the things that you will need to acquire to deer hunt but obviously a rifle, slug gun, muzzle loader or bow will be needed depending on where your at and how you wish to pursue the deer. If you would like more info beyond this just ask but this would be your starting point!

PS There will not be any unwanted Deer sausage however if your ever in my neck of the woods I would be more than happy to toss an extra deer burger or steak on the grill!

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Congrats on catching that "Moose"..........

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thanks Scott! I will look into that Hunter's safety course. That will be the first step.

I'm not no archer nor do I know anything about muzzleloaders. What is the simple gun you will need?

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Blacky you cant hit a Septa Bus with a Shot gun from ten feet away....LOL.............:haha:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I've deer hunted before growing up in Indiana exclusively on private land and farms. On private land, ANYTHING GOES! No license needed nor 16 hour safety courses.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Blacky - Selecting a Deer Gun is a personal choice. Now depending on what part of the state you plan on hunting you could be limited to using a slug gun. If you are in such an area the Remington 870 Express is a good choice. It can be purchased for around $300. Now as far as a decent rifle goes once again you will be looking at around $300 and up from there. You will need to choose a caliber anywhere from .243 on up to .300 Win Mag. I personally like the 7mm .08 . You will also need to purchase accesseries such as a scope ($50 and up), sling, ammo, orange clothing, warm footwear, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say its not cheap to get started! :crazy: Just want to let you know what your getting into, but hey once you get started its a great sport which I love very much. If you decide to give it a try I wish you luck. If you have any further questions ask away! :cool2: