Arcadia

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mtrimble, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    catfishing has been good in 6-15 ft of water just before midnight among dead trees. caught a couple blues in the 15-25 lb range. eating sized channels are biting good also. been using fresh gizzard shad. The crappie are just now starting to fire up really good. Guys on the crappie dock have been slaughtering slabs the past couple days. Just started it seems. Ive been doing good with crappie also using a light from my boat. my locator is broken so i haven't found a crappie sweet spot just yet. with that light i can catch a few just about anywhere. anyone else fishing Arcadia? its a good little lake. 6 dollar entry per vehicle so you can save a bit by carpooling.

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have not been to Arcadia in a while. I generally fish the area between 122nd and the Memorial Rd. bridge. I need to get out there and fish some since the water temps are on the drop.

How is the water level there? With this rain we have had I would hope for our lakes to fill up a bit before winter.

Dave

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Deep Fork was up 5-6' at the Kelley bridge at I-44 so Arcadia came up some. Arcadia is a good blue cat lake and lots of crappie are there too. I expect all the fish have started coming shallow by now.
    catman george

4. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I had some time two Saturdays ago so I went out to Arcadia for a couple of hours and fished from the bank. I fished the cove west of the boat ramp by the fishing dock. I usually do ok there but didn't get any takers. Got lots of lookers and tasters but no takers. So I went around to the next cove to the west. It is shallower over there. I caught one little scrawny channel, about a pound. It had somebody else's hook in it's mouth or else it wouldn't have been so scrawny. I only had a couple of hours so not much time. (Had to make it home in time to see UT beat up on OU.:wink: ) I think I would have had more bites had I stayed there, but I ran out of time. The day was beautiful, though. It was just nice being out at the lake.

5. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Arcadia is up about a one foot.

The cats seem to follow those ugly black birds around. I think they are called comerants (sp?). I gleaned that info at the catfish tourney you all had there. It has held true.

The crappie were biting really slow today at the dock. I think the brush needs to be built back up under that thing. Had better luck using a night light from the boat. The police shed across from the crappie dock also holds some pretty good crappie under it.

Sand bass have also been comming to the boat light. All the sandies have been small.

Id like to see Saugeye introduced into Arcadia. I think they would push up the average crappie size by preying on the small ones. I believe Thunderbird had success with that management strategy. Saugeye are tasty fish too.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Matt, that is what they said when introduced to Guthrie Lake about 10 years ago... crappie are still stunted and the shad poupulation is severley depleted. But, those guys at the fisheries management are the pros. My pal, Fuzz Face and I have been fishing Arcadia with minnows and cut bait (shad). We catch one or two cats per trip, nothing over 3 pounds. Guess it is just not meant to be for us to get into the bigger ones. That's all we catch, no matter where we go. LOL He wants to get into the crappie, but we don't have an idea as to where to go for them either...

7. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i got to get out there i have not been out there in about 2 months

8. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Lawrence, are you fishing from a boat? If you are that changes everything. With one of those crappie lights your guarunteed to catch a few.

The crappie dock off of 15th street is more spotty this year than last. But when the crappie are moving through it is alot of fun. Last year, I was having my best luck mid winter as far as the slabs are concerned. Im a little worried this year because there is less brush under the dock than the year before. As much as I love catfishing it bugs me to see guys pulling up trees and brush with that heavy tackle. There are much better spots for catfishing than from the crappie dock.

One thing that bugs me about Arcadia is the restricted parking. On one entire side of the lake you can only park if your hunting deer. At another access point you can only park if you have a horse. It is a big parking lot and Ive only seen one trailer there in all the times Ive went. From what I gather, the wealthy folks in that area had the Edmond city council pass those rules. It bugs the heck out of me that I have to have a horse to legally fish the best catfish spots from the bank. I think I might buy small donkey just so I can have legal access to the good holes. lol

9. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Matt,
    If you are taking the boat out at Arcadia let me know when you have room for 1 more. There are a few spots out there that will fill a stringer in no time flat. I wouldn't mind showing you some spots that have proven themselves time and time again.

Dave

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Matt, just got in from Arcadia - about an 8 hour fishing trip. We (FuzzFace and I) caught 2 channels at about 1 1/4 pounds each, and 3 crappie almost the size of our minnow. We fish from a boat, and about the only thing we seem to do is bounce up and down. Of course, the wind was up today, which meant instead of drifting we were somewhat water skiing the lake. Tried the timber across from the Central State Park, tried the two southern arms by the dam, and tried the deep water in the middle. Caught the crappie in 27 to 31 foot of water. Think they were only about 7" in length - are there bigger ones there? It seems that all the hot spots cool off just when I get there. LOL

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Lawrence,

about fifty feet from the boat ramp dock at the 15th street entrance is a big stump floating in about 15-20 ft of water. Ive always had luck with the crappie fishing around that thing during the daylight hours. However, I usually fish at night.

Did you see any of those black birds roosting in the dead trees? Almost always there are good sized catfish underneath them. I heard the catfish like to eat their crap. Those birds are not herbivores like ducks those birds dive deep and eat shad and everyday they lay a turd about the size of an egg. That turd is just a big wad of fish fat. Catfish seem to love it.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nope, no black birds today... just white caps. And they were white caps. Swells were probably 2 to 2 1/2 feet which is pretty good for central Oklahoma. According to the weather man, I'm through fishing until Tuesday. It's okay though, as I have other irons in the fire. LOL

Maybe we can get together someday and fish that thing. My boat crapped out and it will be a few weeks before its fixed. So I am with FuzzFace. When we get two boats going, I'll try to give you and David F. a yell.

13. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey Matt, if you go east on Memorial Rd. till it crosses the south end of the lake, you can pull of the side of the road, hop the fence and there is a good catfish hole in that whole arm of the lake. In the hot summer it also offers some good bow fishin, for carp. I use to live in Jones off Heffner Rd and caught a lot of fish on south end Arcadia. I'll be moving back to OKC, by Christmas, and looking foward to fishin all that fimilar water again

Flint

14. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    hey matt, i am going out to arcadia friday night to see if i can get a few blues you free? or anyone else that wants to come.

15. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yea Jeremy I plan on taking my boat out there friday. So Ill probably see you there. PM me your number and I'll give you a ring when I get out there. I might have an extra seat on the boat if you or anyone else is interested.

16. catfishcrazyjr

State:
    oklahoma
    i guess i got to chock someone out for my seat on the boat, well a mans got to do what a mans got to do!

17. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I caught 75 crappie saturday night. kept 20. five of them over 10 inches. 2 of em 13 inches. Mucho fun. We all should get together out there one of these weekends.

18. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Sorry I couldn't make it. Wife and I had a sitter and plans.

Dave

19. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Matt,

In the years that I've fished Arcadia, I've only seen one big crappie. Sounds like you found a spot!:big_smile: Were you at that stump?

20. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    At night I use the crappie light near brush. The police boat dock is also good at night. It is not more than 6 feet deep around that thing so the crappie probably wont be there too much longer. I need catfish now. Tired of crappie. Big blue.. Im comming for ya..... lol

A side note: Rumour has it that big walleye are hitting hard about a foot off of the bottom at Hefner. I heard of guys doing well on the east side of the dam using worm balls and big minnows. You guys know about this? I love the taste of walleye........