Arachnophobia!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cattoo, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    we just bought this house last may. there is a small shed that the previous owners had converted into a chicken coupe. well we didnt have any chickens so i decided to clean it up and store my fishing tackle in it. i cleaned it up a little and put my stuff in it. well today i decided i was going to do a better job. there were some boards nailed to the walls with chicken wire under them about half way around. so i got my wrecking bar out and went to town. i had pulled a few boards off and i noticed i small spider came out. i thought it looked like a brown recluse but wasnt sure. it ran back behind some boards and i went back to work. a little while later i felt something run up my leg. i shook my leg and a spider ran across the floor. this one too looked like the other one so i killed it. i looked on the wall i had just removed the boards from and there was another one only bigger. i tried to get something to stab it without crushing it so i could take it into the house and i.d. it. well i wound up smashing this one too, but not before i got a real good look at it. i went and got on the p.c. and did a search on the brown recluse and sure enough thats what they were! i looked on 2 different sites. one was i believe ohio university and the other was the university of ky. entomology website. the uk website goes into greater detail on idenification. i was freaked out. but it wasnt over. i went back out to the shed and started looking and i found about 8 more of those boogers! i got some bug spray and started hosing the place down! i cant count how many times i have went out into that shed at night and fumbled around in boxes and stuff. i did just last night! for those of you who are not familiar with these critters just let me tell ya they are some serious bad news! do a search and look at some of the bites these have afflicted on people. so guys be very careful. i had no clue these things were even around. i thank god i found out they were there. they like dark areas. if you keep your tackle or anything in some sort of shed be very careful. i highly recommend checking out the u.k. entomology site. it has all kinds of useful info on these guys. i don't have the link handy. just do a search on brown recluse on yahoo.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey Mates!!!
    Cattoo is on to something. Heed the warning when i comes to these bad boys.
    Brown Recluse spiders are nothing to fool around with. NO I havent been bitten by one yet (Knock on wood).
    dont want to either. Check out on line what these guys do to you .
    thanks
    Larry

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    you know snakes dont bother me much but MAN I HATE SPIDERS! that just makes my skin crawl,i dont even watch shows with spiders in them yuk.

4. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    a freind of mine was bit by one and almost lost his leg! they are the most paifull thing in the world the venum will eat away the flesh. he never realy recoverd from it fully. i got bit by a spider ( not a recluse) not sure what kind it was. within 12 hrs my leg was twice its size an leaking this discusting yellow ooze from boils that would pop up all over. after 5 doctor visits, 3 shot and a hundred bucks woth of pills it cleard up in abut 2 weeks. didnt hurt but my leg was so swollen that i couldnt use it.
    get every kind of insect kill and fogger you can get anb bomb that shed for a week or so. warn your neibors so they can spray too. and pray you never get bit!

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    You sound like me. I've been bitten a few times by spiders nothing major but bitten alll the same.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    not to creep you out but if they are in your shead they are probally in your house:eek: . the last place we lived had spiders bad. the first night we spent the night we had the lights off watching a movie, when it was over i turned on the lights and there were probally 10 spiders on the floor i think i killed about 7-8 sheesh. the next day i bought some of those plug-in pest repellers BIG difference chased most of those critters out:cool: It doesent seem to work as well on the tiny ones but they work. nuthing like putting on your shoes and fealing something funny and dumping out a 3'' wolf spider:eek:

7. cardfan4life

cardfan4life Guest

Always watch what your doing, and know what your getting into. You just never know anymore.

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    There are other spiders that look like Brown Recluse, so ID'ing them can be iffy at times. Only sure way to tell is to count the eyes. Brown Recluse have only 6 eyes, where other copy-cat spiders have 8. It's hard to count the eyes unless under magnification. Though please, I do not doubt your identification, Cattoo, because you found them, not me and you may have made the right identification. They are not a spider I'd fool around with if I found one. Since I've become a little more "spider aware" I've rethought my identification of what I would have called brown recluse in my house, and not found a single one. They are all cellar spiders or ground spiders.

Please note that many, if not most, of the brown recluse "bites" are misdiagnosed staph infections, many of which are antibiotic resitant strains of staph that will necrose into a lesion (eat the skin) for months.

There are some interesting sites linked here that help in ID'ing them aand also dispell some of the many myths of brown recluse bites. http://bugguide.net/node/view/33493

By the way, during the last year or so in my cave-related work, I've become quite interested in spiders. For anyone who's known me for long would find that amazing as I'm the original arachnophobe. Actually got to where my son Sam (he's 6) and I go out and catch spiders just to take pics. Here's a recent one:

9. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Here's the pic I was trying to add to the last reply I made.

Cool eyes, eh? Keep in mind he was only as big as your little fingernail.

It's a jumping spider.

Attached Files:

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I was young I was terrified of spiders. I don't mind them so much now, if they don't surprise me that is :eek: lol. What really creeps me out is when I find a dangerous one and have to go find something to put it in ,they always know to run and hide! Thats what gets me, I know it is there now, but where. Hey have you guys ever been watching TV with the lights off and see something move out of the corner of your eye? Then when you move to look straight at it the darn thing will freeze, and not move till you look away! Tell me they aren't smart. They just sit back and wait till your back is turned to make their move, sneaky little #%$^lol but I guess they have to be to survive in such a big world. What if they attacked like bees or wasps when they thought there was a threat around? Can you imagine a heard of spiders chasing you around the house! And how about those big brown water spiders,they eat fish! How many have you laid your sleeping bag on? lol

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like jumping spiders the best. They have a cool attitude. They don't take much $^%# before they jump at you. lol I have a friend that kept pestering one on a window sill. Boy was he shocked when that little dude jumped about six inches and attached him self to his finger and started bitting. lmao I never saw anybody so surprised.

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey paleocaver, i did put them under a magnifying glass and they did have 3 sets of eyes. 2 per set. also had the tiny violin shape on the head. these are definitley recluse. i havent seen any in the house but i have found other spiders. nonetheless i'm calling the exterminators today. well my wife is. im going fishing! i had a terrible nights sleep last night. kept dreamin about the little bastards! i used to have a terrible fear of spiders and have gotten over it in the last couple of years. but these things are not your average spider. these things just plain suck!!!

13. citori59

citori59 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    i was bitten by a recluse 20 years ago up here in good old altoona, pa.!! i was making keys for a repossed car from georgia and was bitten on the top of my foot. the bites from these little critters make the bite area a mess. the tissue dies as it spreads and is very painful. in some cases the bite area will never fully heal. i was lucky. kill 'em all.

14. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    One of my first jobs was at a fruit and produce warehouse. We used to unload freightcars of bananas . That was before they poisoned the cars with gas. We used to find spiders as big as your hand down to the size of a housefly.Loaded with diffrent lizards too. We killed the spiders, but caught and sold the lizards to a local petshop.
    I later found out that some of those spiders were really dangerous. Most of the larger ones were tarantulas that were harmless,but the medium and small ones could put you in the hospital real quick.I worked there for two and a half years and never saw anyone bit. We wore coveralls and gloves to protect ourselves.
    I show any spider a lot of respect,poisonous or not. Even the mildly poisonous ones can cause a lot of discomfort when they bite.

BILL

15. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Cattoo, Yep, I'd call that a positive ID alright. I'd call the exterminators real quick for an infestation of those boogers. Couldn't imagine a boathouse full of them. Every time you put a life jacket on.....

The banana car spiders, may have been the Brazilian Wandering Spider. Many call it the most dangerous spider in the world, it's real aggressive, very fast, and prone to bite. Glad you never got tagged by one of those, Bill. There's a growing number of people who are keeping them as pets and raising young spiders. That's crazy in my opinion.

Anyway, back to the real world. My skin's crawly now.....

Scott

16. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I hate spiders with a fiery passion. A brown reculse bit me about 2 yrs ago on my shoulder. It turned red and kind of white in the middle but the inflammed area never got larger than 6 or 7 cm. They are nasty bugs, but their bites progess slow enough to allow a person plenty of time (1-2 days) to see your doc. Put u on antibiotics and cut out the dead tissue (if necessary) and your good to go. I wouldnt be scared of them, but I certainly wouldnt go cuddle with one.

17. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I work with many pest control agencies. I also work with educators who teach the pest control people. Spray works great on a spider that you see. It does not work well on ones who walk through it. Dusts and powders are recommended for spider control. Control is not quick and can take 4-6 weeks. Avoid cardboard boxes like the plague. If you must use them, then seal up every seam with tape. If you have boxes and suspect they are infested, seal the boxes completely with tape and leave for 6 months. This will kill the spiders inside.

Here is a link to Kansas's own spiderman.

http://www.kuconnection.com/july2002/people_1.asp

18. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey i give snakes and spiders the same type of respect(none) i kill everyone i come across i hate them both the same......yukkkkk