AR what ya got?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by catsmith1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Wondering who has an AR-15, what is it, what have you done to it, what do you want to do to it, and what do you use it for?

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Colt w/ 16 inch barrel. Pretty much stock right now but I want to change out to a collapsable stock, add detachable scope and bipod. The main thing I want to do to it is put a couple 1000 rounds down range and get it broke in.

I got it for the police car and for practice for military. I want it also for coyote hunting.

3. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Colt 6721 carbine. All I've done is mount an Aimpoint m2 and add a sling. They make a very handy coyote gun. I do all my coyote hunting in the winter and the collapsable stock is easily adjusted to how much clothes you got on.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Do you like the aimpoint? I am trying to decide between a traditional scope and a dot.

What kind of ammo are you using for coyotes?

5. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Its good for close in work, but not great for long distance. So far I have only used the Black Hills 68gr. HP. Very acurate from my 1/9 twist, but better expanding bullets can be had. If I'm hunting in wide open areas where long shots might be required I usually use my 700pss .308. 110 grain v-max really tears 'em up. But the ar with aimpoint is great for close in and quick target acquisition. It also allows me more range than a shotgun, which is also good for thick areas.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I ended up picking up a 3x9 to put on it. I found it and a thousand rounds of 62 gr FMJ at the gun show this weekend. I need to break this thing in and then I will see what it really will do.

I have been told to shoot a fairly heavy round through it because of the 1 in 7 twist. I put 60 round through it the other day. open sites and a bad et of glasses still did fairly well. I need to get on a good bench to sight in the scope and see what it will do at 100yds.

7. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Armalite AR-15 in the .223 caliber. Has a match barrel and trigger, real sweet. I have shot in high power/match competitions for years. Got a good deal as I am fortunate to know the owner quite well. I've been checking out the .308 recently. May have to step up.

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Sounds like a nice rig. I have shot them for years in the military but it is different having one to do with as I please. I have to first put large amounts of lead down range and get this thing broke in. Then I will look at the trigger work to be done. I picked up a thousand rounds at the gun show of 62 gr. Been told that would probably be a good choice for the 1/7 twist.

I would welcome any advice. I have alot to learn. I did change out the stock to a collapsible last night.

9. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I carry a Colt M-4 Commando on the SWAT Team here in MO. It's real similar to the M-16/AR-15 but has a shorter barrel, collapsable stock, and a detachable carrying handle. Only other main difference is the M-4's we use have semi and full auto unlike the typical 3 round burst of the military issue M-16. We have found that the 55 grain bullet works best for law enforcement use. Make sure and use a soft point or ballistic tip type of bullet to avoid over penetration like the FMJ bullets have. If you go to www.federalcartridge.com they have a ton of data regarding the 223 round and how it performs, especially when related to law enforcement use. Have fun! Chris

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    thanks for the info chris! I'll go look.

11. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I was wondering if anyone has shot the BMG .50cal rifle, I have shot the machine gun during School of Infantry but I like the rifle. Just wanted some input

thanks
    chris

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I tried to get out to play a little in IRAQ but never got the chance. A couple of the Bloodtypeboys said they would take me to the EOD range but those pesky rockets had us tight in the wire the last two weeks I was there. Oh well!