Aquariums

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by L2druid, Oct 10, 2009.

1. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry if I missed a similar thread-I can't get the search option to work..but has anyone ever kept native fish in an aquarium before? There's some sites online that show people with bass and bream and even channels in tanks. They feed em worms and live minnows. Man that'd be cool.

My uncle caught a small albino channel that he took home and put in his tank but it died which was no surprise, that man's an idiot and didn't know what he was doing.

I know you'd need a massive tank but it'd be so awesome to come home to a big ole' flattie or channel just hanging out in your living room.

2. ~Austin~

~Austin~ New Member

State:
    Texas
    That would be pretty cool. I was fishing off of a bridge in Florida one time and caught a sailfin catfish. When I pulled it onto the bridge, it started spitting up little sailfins. I threw a few of them in my bait bucket and put them in my reef tank when I got home. They lived for quite a while in that little aquarium.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I had some tadpole madtoms. I think they lived for about 3 years. They were cool to watch. They'd smell food and attack in a furious fashion. They'd hide under anything they could unless the light was real low. They only got 3" long and that's why I kept them. Big fish in too small of a box is hard on them and they get looking bad. Like fish in one of the cabelas aquariums with droopy fins and white edges.

There are some miniature sunfish from florida that I'd like to see. To properly keep something like crappie, you'd need one hell of a big tank.

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I caught a small warmouth and bluegill in the river one night and brought them home to my 30 gal. tank and kept them for about 4 weeks they did just fine. I fed them nightcrawlers. Cats need at least a 75-100 gal. suitable for "guessing" 5-10 lbers.

5. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A sailfish catfish! Now that'd be funny to catch. Aren't they the 'Plecos' commonly sold to fishtanks that are no where near the size the need. I read somewhere people rill release them and they definitely aren't native.

Yeah..I doubt I'd ever have a tank large enough for a channel/flathead but gills, sunfish and some other smaller types are pretty and I'd like to try those someday. I want to see one get the size of a dinner plate. Imagine having this badboy in your aquarium: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/BCondello/betterbg.jpg Lol.

6. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    My mom used to own a petstore many many years ago. She had a large aquarium (appox 50 to 70) for display only and was able to get albino catfish through her supplier. So I would imagine you can go to any petshop and aquire catfish. Hers was about 1 lb or so each. She had them for years until she went out of business. They thrived well in her tanks.

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Its no problem with native fish actually they are hardier.A friend has a 125 gallon and has a couple of three pound bass, three or four 10-12 crappie and a giant shell cracker about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds.I don't think he even use's a water heater just keeps it room temp 68-72 degrees.Good luck

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got a 55 gallon tank inside. I've had 3 baby channels in it for over a year now. Their 8-10" long now and doing good. I also have a small Long-Eared Sunfish/ Pumpkinseed in it and a decent sized Bluegill. They all get along pretty good, the smallest one, the Pumpkinseed is more aggressive than the others though.

9. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I've got a Golden Channel Catfish - half gold fish, half catfish, that I bought about 9 years ago at a petstore. He's a trip!!! He' about 10" long now and doing great. I'll try to get a picture of him up for you.

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    In ym horse trough livewell aquarium i had a 10-12 " flatty and soem channels and a bunch of gills..the flatty was tame as could be and would eat night crawlers almsot out of your hand but he would attack and eat/kill every thing small enough to get in his mouth

11. catin38

catin38 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i had a 100 gallon aquarium a few years back. i put 5 channels in and raised them to about 3 lbs. each and released them into our lakes. They done just fine. Just make for sure you supply alot of oxygenated water. i had 2 big filters on mine that always supplied the oxygen they needed. Also lake or river fish dont need a heater unless theres a threat of hard freeze..other than that just keep temps between 65-78. hope this helps

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    A sailcat is a brackish/salt water catfish that looks alot like a blue cat! We caught several while we were in Grand Isle, La. several years ago. The top/dorsal fin stands up higher than normal & has a long tip on it. They're really cool fish.
    I would think if the water conditions are good, you can keep native fish. Just be sure to check your local Wildlife & Fisheries regulations before you go "bragging out loud" too much!! Just to be on the same side.:wink: