Aquariums? anyone keep them?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Sep 13, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Anyone here keep aquariums? Freswater or sat and what fish do you have?

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I went out looking at aquariums a while ago, and could not believe how expensive they are....I would like to have one though

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I seen a couple in the clasifieds on a hunting site I get on. I believe one was a 55 that was brand new and one was a 65. Let me know if you're looking still and for something of those sizes and I can see if they are still available and details and all that stuff.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I keep a 25 long in the garage with nothing in it but air until I finish building the new stand. The old stand does not "match" the new furniture and the boss/wife doesn't want it "her" house. So like a good little boy I am building a new stand, sooner are later anyway.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've got a 55 gal tank at home.

4 gold fish and a huge sucker call it home.

Drives my kids n wife nuts when I joke with them about usin them for bait.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

That sucker would definantly be on the bottom of the Ohio if I got my hands on him...LOL

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If you look hard enough you can find a good used one fairly inexpensive. I got a 55 gallon with stand and filters heater and all the decorations for 150 dollars. And mine too is home to some goldfish and creek chubs and a little baby sucker. Just trying to find a flatty small enough to put in.

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I have a 75 gallon, 20 gallon, and a 10 gallon set up right now. A flathead, flordia spotted gar, red devel cichlid, african cichlid, a real odd looking catfish, and a stingray call the 75 gallon home. Got 2 small puffer fish in the 10 gallon. 20 gallon is full of goldfish some feeders and some for bait.

9. Galant02

Galant02 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have a little tank. With fancy guppies, who mate like crazy. I have a another i wanna fill up with oscars, or little sharks.

10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've got a 135gallon with African cichlids & 1 large spotted angelicus catfish...really cool fish; and a 65 gallon with angel fish & some tetras. Used to work in a pet shop several years ago, & once we had 7 aquariums with fish in our itty bitty house. We had the 135, 65, 55,20 & 3 ten gallons. We enjoyed it, but it became too much like going to work everyday, & then coming home & dealing with it all again!:big_smile:

11. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have 150 gallon pond out in the back yard. Before I drained it a couple days ago it had bluegill, creek chubs 1 small channel, bullheads, and shinners,

Josh`

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    55 gal. 10 inch largemouth bass call it home.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I got a 29 gallon with one bluegill, was three but he seems to want to be by himself. Love watching the gill go after the feeder fish.

14. Buknasty

Buknasty New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got a 55 gallon tank with a 9-10" Red Devil Cichlid in it!!!!!
    That boy is mean!

15. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a 75 gallon community.My favorite would have to be the cardinal tetras,although congo tetras move up and down the list..lol
    I also have a red-tailed black shark which are my favorite,unfortunetly only one usually gets along in any fishtank.
    I do all live plants and this is made simple with co2 injection,roughly 2-5 bubbles a second while lights are on,and dose ferts daily at 10-20ml. a day.
    In the posted pics,if I have did it right,you will be able to see the rapid growth from just one month of co2 injection and ferts.The co2 allows the plants to uptake the nutrients at a rate more than the algae so that algae is kept to a minimum.I have 1 Ovrdriven Driven Normal Output(ODNO) flourescent light,which when wired in this way allows one to double,qalmost triple the output of a normal flouro light.I also have 130 watts of Power Compact Flourescent lighting ove it as well.for A total of about 220 watts of lighting.The only way one can tget away with this much lighting and no algae problems is to have live plants and co2 injection.It is very easy to do once you get a few parameters worked out in the water ..Co2 along with some carbonate (KH) hardness allows one to adjust PH to anywhere you want it on the scale by either adding or subtracting co2.
    In the old days I used to mix Yeast/Water/Sugar.and a bit5 of apple juice in 2 litre bottles and use airline tubing to shunt the co2 gas into the tank.And yes what would be also made is alchohol,although I would not reccomend drinking it.:roll_eyes:
    Hopefully these pics will post if I have done everything right.
    www.msnusers.com/zoelifespics/Documents/fishtank2 This tank is just after I added plants and started adding co2 AND FERTS
    www.msnusers.com/zoelifespics/Documents/fishtank3 This is a pic about a month later with co2 injection and ferts.
    www.msnusers.com/zoelifespics/Documents/fishtank1 this is a closeup of some cardinals.
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

16. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  17. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well,almost got it done...:embarassed:
    I added pic 3 twice,so now here is pic one...
    http://www.msnusers.com/zoelifespics/Documents/fishtank1
    Really I am not trying to get my postings up,,
    I just recently upgraded to a REAL pc and got off webtv..which I had been on for about 7 years...So I am still learning the ins and outs.
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin:confused2:

18. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice tanks buddah,I remember my 240 ...well,until it split a seal going down the back corner..talk about a mess.had fish everywhere and my carpet was actually floating in the room.took over a week of vacuuming with a water vac to get the water up and then it was still wet.Luckily I lived in an apt. at the time..ended up turning it into a paladarium.
    Like the arowana,unfortunetly they are now illegal here in Oklahoma along with piranhas and snakeheads,and stringrays.
    is the 240 for your big fish? if so,maybe you should get you a few irridescent sharks,,pangasius species.Get ya some monster cats in there,although a red-tailed cat will eventually fit that bill.:big_smile:
    Very cool.
    Peace and plenty,
    Kevin

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Cool pics!!! I have a 55gal community tank set up.I've got abt 14 various fish that I've had 3-4 years.I can't believe I've kept them alive that long.