Aquaduct near Avenal/Kettlemen City

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by daystarchis, Sep 29, 2005.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Heard some nice stripers and cats being taken out of the Aquaduct near Kettlemen city and Avenal. Any leads would be really cool.

2. theaudiowiz

theaudiowiz New Member

State:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Hey, hows it going. Ive hit the aquaduct right at 145, just before 198 I believe it is. There is a bridge there with another channel that heads west. It gives a pretty good selection as you have a slow wash going to the channel west and a gate just past it if you want to hit the swift water. Ive done OK there, usually just a few at a time, no big quantity. In the past year or so Ive probly been about 6-10 times. I go out whitesbridge cut across dickerson to avenal cutoff to five points then down 145, you turn on the first street "El Dorado" prior to the duct so you can cut back through the orchard and pop up on the aquaduct, otherwise you have to park at the highway and walk under the aquaduct road gate. A buddy and I have been talking about going out early next week, after noon to mid evening kind of trip. I havent been doing much local fishing lately, just went out of virgs in morro last weekend on a overnight trip and had a blast, wish I could afford that sea fishing more often. There is some real cool satellite map pics on google maps if you look at el dorado and 145, click on the hybrid map and it shows the aquaduct and bridges etc. I dont know if this link will work- http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fresno,+ca&ll=36.324772,-120.233002&spn=0.006832,0.021730&t=h&hl=en

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Bro.... Wanna go out and try the duct tomorrow. Any one else wanna tag along? Let me know. (559)293-0458

4. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    headed out again huh RObb? I don't know let me think it over today. We need to plan a couple of get togethers here pretty soon. i graduate 16 feb 06 and i might not be around Fresno anymore after that.....thinkin about leaving California all together.

-Brian

5. theaudiowiz

theaudiowiz New Member

State:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    rob, my weekends are kinda tied up nowdays, bear season. But Im going to try to do some mid week stuff. Im not sure what your schedule is but mid week next week, not real late but a 5-12 eveing range. Ill check back on the forum after the weekend.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    OK Brian, let me know. Either we can ride with Vince or ya'll can ride with me. Let me know.

Let me check my schedule Wiz. I will let you know.

7. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Ok Robb, I will let you know, what time you guys headed out? So Vince is headed out to?

-Brian

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I wanna head out around 4 pm. I was Vince's idea. lol!!!

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    So Vince got his wind back and is ready to go out and give it another go huh?

Well that is good.

-Brian

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, he got his second wind....lol

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    3rd wind pals :0a6: i'm ready to rock n roll lets go Brian i have more computer question to buzz at you :cursing:

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I like this format/template much better i'm used to Vbulletin we use that on our body building sites alot. :thumbsup:

13. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Welp unfortunatelly it was'nt Robbs night he lost one early in the evening, he had a line full of grass along with the fish and it just flipped itself off, but i was having Brians luck and landed 1 nice 4-1/2 pounder,

Another one twice that size we got up on the bank but it got too difficult trying to get to it and the line finally snapped and the fish plopped back in the water, we guess its weight was in the 8-10 pound range it FOUGHT LIKE HELLCAT :eek: and another one i lost was just as big :cursing: , my freaken real handle busted and i was having a hard time getting the fish reeled, got some slack line and he thru the hook but Robb got a good look it was a BIG cat and i felt the thing what a fight.

I am kicken myself some for not having better gear for this type of fishing but i'll tellya this it won't happen again, lesson lived is a lesson learned.

I have some video i'll post later once i get it all editted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/lardbucket/Aqauductcatfish5pounds.jpg

14. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Nice fish Vince,
    Sounds like you guys had a good night, I will have to go next time with you. So did RObb end up gettin anything?

-brian

15. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Nope he's been getting skunked alot lately i keep hoping he lands something freaken huge.

Guy out there told us last night up to 65 pound stripers have been cought in their and huge huge catfish also. After my big reel broke i felt almost afraid to fish with my one other reel that had 6 pound spider wire and the other reel i had with 10 pound spider wire tottally inappropriate for fishing their.

We were fishing on a bridge and it was a good 15 feet to the water so anything big had to be brought over to the bank side, there was sand running down the cement embankment and slippery as snot so i did'nt try to get down to that big one i cought. We need an extension pole on the net for one thing and you need at least 25-30 pound test line minumum, just incase.

The spot we were at is a water pumping station area, there was a guy using rebles lures on the out side end of the pump station and he caught 1 keeper striper and lost another one while we were there, he said earlier he had lost a huge striper also.

16. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    yeah I will have to get out there with you soon

Brian

17. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Where is this bridge located?

18. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Hey Capt i think we met about a month ago out on the Mendota, it was in the afternoon think it was a Friday i took the day off from work. Anyhow you had another guy with you i was in a big white truck and stopped and talked about fishing i'm a pretty big guy you'd remember me i was fishing with 3 poles? does that ring a bell?

Anyhow you go out manning ave (WAY OUT THEIR)
    and just before some rises in the road take a left on San Diego, its a dirt road and that will take you right to the bridge.

19. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Theres another pump station area some guy told us about at 4 points or 5 points he says those areas are good fishing.

20. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Probably was not me. I'm always in a maroon van and only get out in the mornings. Thanks for the directions. Here's a spot I was told about-
    180 PAST KERMAN
    L ON JAMES RD
    TURN ON MANNING
    TURN ON 33
    DIRT ROAD BEFORE OR AFTER BRIDGE OVER AQUADUCT, TO PUMP PLANT.

OR GO ON DOWN TO NEXT RIGHT, THEN RIGHT ON DIRT ROAD INTO
    ORCHARD, BACK TO AQUADUCT. ON THE LEFT IS A SHALLOW RAMP/ROAD
    UP ONTO THE CANAL BANK BY THE PUMP.