Aquaduct fishing

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Dec 14, 2006.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I woke up this morning with an urge to soak a line (like today is any different) and was thinking about new water. So I gave a call to BOC member Catfishslick, you may have read his post about the close call he had coming home from a fishing trip this month. Phil said that he would be happy to go once he completed a meeting this morning, so I said I would swing by his place in a while.
    I got dressed had a cup and a bite and hit the road.
    After a two hour drive from my house to Taft and another call for specific directions I pulled up a Phil's house. He showed me his home and his projects that he has been working on.
    He also showed me the sturdy pole holders that he makes and when I admired his handy work he gave one of them to me.
    Thank you, Phil.
    They're very nice holders and I'm sure to purchase one like them would be around $10.00.
    Well, Phil completed his meeting and we loaded his gear into the back of my old Dodge truck and headed out. From Phil's house to the duct is around 5 miles by road and a short walk of around 200 ft, at least where we went today.
    We baited up our hooks and put our lines out and settled down to wait on the whisker fish. I was using Catmando beef liver and Slick was using some special beef liver mix that he made up, yes, he told me what was in it but I figure if he wants to tell any one, it ain't up to me.
    While sitting there on the bank we chatted about hunting and fishing, our kids and grand kids and just about anything else that come up.
    We never got a bite in the 4 hrs we were out there but I feel the trip was well worth it as I now have a new fishing buddy and hopefully we will get the chance to hunt together in the coming year.
    I know the next time I head over into the San Joaquin valley to fish I'll be giving my new friend a call.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Well sometimes you get them and sometimes they get you. Sounds like you still had a good time.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Tom, you said that you would take of a the "drop of a hat", so I'm dropping... Come on over Sat. am and we'll check out the ramp at Marina Del Rey, and get some deens or chovies and see if the sandbass, mackerel, bonita, are in a biting mood...... I've got the GPS marks for a bunch of Cod Holes too.... What you say? The drive is much shorter than going over the grapevine all the way to Taft..... I mean you can even get snow going over the "Grape"..... Might even not be able to get home if they close it down.

Bayrunner ray

4. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Thanks for the invite Ray, unfortunately when I dropped my hat it landed on a previous invitation that I had already accepted so I have to decline for this weekend. I have no plans for the up coming week if you are off maybe we can find a good weather day. Ill send you an email with more detail.

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    No problemo... Tom, got one more week to work this year, and the season officially ends Dec. 31st... maybe mon -- wed after xmas..maybe you and Brian C and I can get out there and "make some cat bait too"!

bayrunner ray

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I am up for after Christmas but before new years. During the week will be fine like Monday thru Wedns.

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sounda good to me Ray, the only thing I have going that week is an overnight trip from Port Hueneme leaving 10pm the 29th onboard the Mirage, provided the weather is good.
    But I'm not oppossed to going fishing twice in one week, the more the better, I say.

8. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray , I have purchased my '07 licence and will be watching for the reports of the squid rise. You know what that means, so even if the rockfish are closed we could get some decent early fishing this year.
    It seem that since we got rid of the gill nets and long liners from inshore waters the White Sea Bass have been starting earlier every year.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I am all down for a WSB trip. Its been a few years for me since I got into those. Also a good yellowtail bite I am all for too. I need to get my saltwater gear back into use. They are getting a little rusty.

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Tom, did you get the "full boat" license to include: striper, ocean enhancement, 2 pole stamp, colorado river stamp? How much was it?

by the way, I use the site http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46025,
    and http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46069 to check the offshore swell, baro, and wind speed to check if I think it is ok to wonder out ....

I haven't been out of Oxnard, or other places near their.... and my boat works..... I haven't been out to those Islands yet????

bayrunner ray

11. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Ray, I got the ocean stamp and the second rod stamp figured I'd get the river stamp when I head down there. I don't think they have the striper stamp any more.
    You should try Channel Islands Harbor some time, it's seldom crowded the launch is self pay (you put the fee in an envelope and drop it in a vault).
    There is bait at Cisco's and Anacapa is 11 miles from the harbor breakaway although some of the best fishing is at the south west end of Santa Rosa.
    I have been out to Anacapa and just beyond to fish for lings and caught plenty of them right at the first Anacapa island in 50'-60' of water but ran a little further for reds.
    I don't know what the range of your boat is, mine is about 200 miles total so I haven't been to the outer islands in my boat.

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have not got my 07 license yet, but will get them right after new years. I get the ocean, river and 2 rod stamp also.

Ray you have to try the Islands sometimes like San Clemente and the Catalina as they both have awesome fishing. If your boat is big enough to get there than I would try it. The overnight boat usually take 4 hours to get there I believe but they are going at 20- 30 knots I think. ( I still do not know knots relations to MPH yet) But the fishing is very good around those grounds. Also the Santa barbara Islands as well as Channel islands.

If you want to enter the halibut derby this April there in Santa Monica let me know. They give away great prizes and I want to participate. I always feel like I have a good chance to win something.

13. gilmafam

State:
    California
    If you want to enter the halibut derby this April there in Santa Monica let me know. They give away great prizes and I want to participate. I always feel like I have a good chance to win something.[/quote]

Tom and Brian;

I've fished San Clem. and Catalina many times on charters that another buddy use to put on. We would go to the "butterfly bank" off of Mexico and troll for Albies.... Got a few "tails at Clemente, and of course the good calico fishing. My gas mileage is quite good... used just under 17 gal. going from Cabrillo (San Pedro) all the way to the west end of Catalina. With the 40 gal. tank, I maybe able to get 200 miles without extra gas cans..... The only other Island that I have been with my boat is to is Santa Barbara.... 46 miles one way out of Marina Del Rey.... That day it was flat calm.. both ways. I wore my eyes out "looking"... my buddy knows how to close his eyes and just sit there as Im driving.... No WSB or tails that trip, but I got two big sheepshead, and a million white fish.

My boat is small, but is called the "sea hawk" .....slices through the waves they say, in the advertisment....can take waves over the front and its self bailing.... (see the attached picture)
    Is that halibut tourny one by WON or another group... I think that there are two each year.....we'll talk more on the "butts" at San Vee.

bayrunner ray

14. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Great story, I really enjoyed it. Sorry you did'nt get anything.

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Tom and Brian;

I've fished San Clem. and Catalina many times on charters that another buddy use to put on. We would go to the "butterfly bank" off of Mexico and troll for Albies.... Got a few "tails at Clemente, and of course the good calico fishing. My gas mileage is quite good... used just under 17 gal. going from Cabrillo (San Pedro) all the way to the west end of Catalina. With the 40 gal. tank, I maybe able to get 200 miles without extra gas cans..... The only other Island that I have been with my boat is to is Santa Barbara.... 46 miles one way out of Marina Del Rey.... That day it was flat calm.. both ways. I wore my eyes out "looking"... my buddy knows how to close his eyes and just sit there as Im driving.... No WSB or tails that trip, but I got two big sheepshead, and a million white fish.

My boat is small, but is called the "sea hawk" .....slices through the waves they say, in the advertisment....can take waves over the front and its self bailing.... (see the attached picture)
    Is that halibut tourny one by WON or another group... I think that there are two each year.....we'll talk more on the "butts" at San Vee.

bayrunner ray[/QUOTE]

That is a nice boat. As a matter of fact, if I was to get one it would be one similar to that. A buddy of mine has one similar but its called the River pro or something in that name range.

I am going to try the V tomorrow and see whats happening. I was tempted to go to Irvine and fish for trout but I will do that next week or next Sat. I'll give a report when I get back.

16. gilmafam

State:
    California
    That is a nice boat. As a matter of fact, if I was to get one it would be one similar to that. A buddy of mine has one similar but its called the River pro or something in that name range.

I am going to try the V tomorrow and see whats happening. I was tempted to go to Irvine and fish for trout but I will do that next week or next Sat. I'll give a report when I get back.[/quote]

Hope you get down to V.. for the big Blue... trouting is easy.. power bait and all. I like river trout with spinners like the rooster tail, or a casta bubble and 3/4 lb line for the leader and a fly.

I was comming back from fishing out of Del Rey back a bit, and a bunch of Brothers at the back of this crusier were "partying", one called out and said, "I have a boat like yours" and I turned around and went back and said that "then you must fish at Irvine?" and "you must be Ronson? Yes he said... They were partying on dads boat. You've been on it before haven't you?

Back to my morning fishing off the rocks now.... nothing for the macks, try again in the morning... got to get some fresh bait.

bayrunner ray

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    LOL. Small world isn't it. Yeah I been on his pops boat. I fished the Del Rey halibut derby on it a few times. But yeah catmandos boat is just like yours. Lots of room inside. He does not take it out on the ocean so he just uses it on fresh water.

I can not wait to get mine. I like the color blue cause it fits my name but I will look for a green one or purple, something flashy. I may have to get it custom painted.:big_smile: If all things go well I should have one in the next year and a half. But I been saying that for the last 4 years. LOL.

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    BTW I lost one at the V today. It just poped loose after setting the hook. It was a big blue that ran hard. I let it peel for about 15 seconds and he still was not hooked :confused2: Therefore I was skunked. But thats how it goes sometimes. A guy I know however got a 41 pounder.

19. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I know how that works. too bad he got off, but as my Dad used to say,
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you".

20. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Fished Aqueduct water today... One of he last stops all the way from Tracey is Perris Lake. I decided to let it warm up a little before departing my in-laws in Sunneymead. As I was getting my thoughts together on just where I wanted to shore fish, the limited access to my favorite place was even more limited.... The Lake is down to "half mask" so as to imporve the dam structure.... I use to like to ride my bike out onto the dam, but with the 911 scare, you cant walk on the dam, but you can take a bass boat full of gasoline and or other stuff right up next to to it. Go figure the logic on that. Well since I did not want to climb nearly 100 feet of Rip/rap with my bum back and knes, I decided to walk down the side of a launch ramp and walk across to where the rip/rap met the sand... "a good choice" with my body feeing the way that it did.

Wouldn't you know it.... The "float tube" guy that had just got his gear together was down there launcing right out of where I was going to fish...

He was there first, and I could only hope that he would kick his way out "knowing that I was going to cast right where he was launching".....Fat chance.... I put up the chair, drove in my spike, sat down, baited up my sorry XXX anchovies and threw the mussy mess into the water.. I thought about one of the threads on BOC... "how long would you sit before moving"? well, I went for "my Max" of 30 min. with one bait..... Minnows might have tried to suck the juices from the bait, but nothing.... Just like baseball... "no hit no runs and no errors"....I re-baited and throwed it out there one more time, and again sat for the max of time.....Even the boy.... "grown Men" that were walking the shore pitching "Giant" rainbow trout immatators got nothing.... I saw lots of boats comming off the water.... no one said they caught anything..

"Just the calm before the storm" Sould have walked to some hard to get to places...... Cant catch them all the time.... Thats catching, and I was only fishing.....

bayrunner ray