Aquaculture Setup

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Muskrat24, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    While in ag class I was looking through a book and found this set up. The image is an attachment. It is a little more complex then others I've seen on here but if someone can benefit from it it was worth posting.

Materials Needed

2- 55 gal. Drums
    1 - 5 gal. pail
    2 pieces-

2. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I'll try this again. Sorry for the previous post I'm trying to adjust to the site.

While in ag class I was looking through a book and found this set up thanks to the University of Maryland's department of Agricultural Engineering. The image is an attachment. It is a little more complex then others I've seen on here but if someone can benefit from it it was worth posting.

Materials Needed

2 - 55 gal. Drums
    1 - 5 gal. pail
    2 - 1/2" PVC 35"
    1 - 1/2" PVC 12"
    2 - 90 Degree PVC 1/2" elbows
    3 - 1" PVC 11"
    2 - 90 Degree PVC 1" elbows
    1 - 2" PVC 12"
    15 ft - Neoprene tubing 1/4"
    1 - Air pump with 2 outlets
    3 - Air stones
    2 - Two-way valves
    1 - Filter Material
    1 - Stand (to hold filter material off bottom of barrel)

GENERAL NOTES:
    It will take about three to four weeks for the microorganisms to become established in teh biological filter. This can be aided by adding 1 ounce of feed every two days until fish are added.
    Fish are kept in tank A. The air-lift pump moves water into the sedimetn tank in tank B. It flows into the inner chamber, down the 1 " PVC stand pipe and up through the biological filter. The siphon returns the water back to tank A.
    If fish are not eating, the water quality might have deteriorated: stop feeding, clean sediment tank, exhcange 10 percent of the water, and observe the fish behavior.

3. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    CONSTRUCTION PROCEDURE

1. Cut the top out of tank A to hold fish.
    2. Cut section out of tank B to support the 5-gallon sedimentation tank by the top rim.
    3. Dirll a hole in the center of sediment tank and insert 35" of 1" PVC pipe. The top of this pipe will determin the water height in the 5-gallon pail.
    4. Perpare a bag of filter material (crushed small gravel, oyster shell, or glass beads) so that the water that runs down the sediment pipe will flow out below the filter matrix.
    5. Position both barrels together and construct an air-lift pump using the 1/2" PVC pipe. An air line will be inserted into the bottom of the lift in tank A so that water flows up and over into the ourter ring of the 5-gallon sediment tank
    6. Cut a 12" piece of 2" PVC pipe and cut several saw slits about 4" from the end. This slips over the 1" center PVC pipe and acts as a sleeve to calm the water flow.
    7. Construct a siphon tube using 1" PVC pipe as illustrated to return the clean water from tank B to tank A.
    8. Connect th air pump to control valves so that two lines with 2" air stones can be placed in tank B under the biological filter. Two other lines are used in tank A, one for the air-lift and one with 2" air stones suspended in the tank.

Again this is from the University of Maryland's department of Agricultural Engineering and from an school text book.

Attached Files:

4. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    very nice post ..
    aquaculture is a very fun hobbie for me .. ive been doing for over 15 years..

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats is really neat, man that gives me some good ideas...:roll_eyes::wink: