Appomattox Fishing Report 14 Aug-PB Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Went out with a gang of my Army buddies to our old favorite spot on the Appomattox. Last night. We Started at 7:30pm and fished till 3am. We caught about 20 fish between the 5 of us who actually fished besides drinking and talkin s#%t lol. I caught 4 blues between 4-8lbs 3 on Eel chunk and one on a bluegill head. I got plenty of bites on blue gill head but they were just hittin my bait and not getting hooked :confused2: at first I thought my 8/0 circles were failing me. I had 2 live gills on my other 2 poles and nothing would even brush them all night :angry:. one of my friends got a 25lb Channel about 11pm, we were all excited cause we had never saw a Channel cat that big, he got em on a piece of Eel chunk. We were also shocked because none of us caught a fish bigger than 10lbs from this spot before. I was very happy for my friend and it motivated me to sit down, evaluate and try something else. One of my other friends caught a nice 1.5 lb hickory shad on minnow about 12am, we cut him up into nice chunks, I threw a nice slice on and about 1am and I got a little hit that ended up being my biggest fish ever, a 62lb blue. Thank God for my bells. I thought it was a flat, he didnt fight too hard but man he would not come off the bottom. I got him close to the bank and he lost it splashing at the top like a bass, then he just ripped line from my reel and I eventually got him in with the help of one of my buddies jumping in the water to scoop him up in the net, whicj=h broke and he had to wrestle him in lol. I owe my CSM buddy a new net for the fish snapping his net in half and the three lines it ripped while I was fighting him lol:smile2: but hey I found all his lines and retrieved his hooks and weights. We also had a buddy get his rod snatched in the river by something and he caught it 10 minutes before we left. About 2am I got a 25lb Channel of my own on another slice of that hickory shad. Man I thought the 25lb Channels were huge but that 62 was amazing, I cannot imagine what a 102 lb fish looks like in person, but when I get my boat im gonna try to get em. Well just wanted to share that with you guys. Im gonna head to Dutch gap in about 30 minutes, I saved one more slice of that hickory shad and the head, and I got about 10 gills to use live and some shad, gill, sunfish and baby bass I put in the freezer that I caught in my local bait lake yesterday hopefully I can get another big boy at the James this time. By the way I released the 62 back in the appomattox and I let my 25lber go in the little lake by my house, kept the other 4 to eat. Unfortunately my friend kept his 25lb Channel to eat :sad2: I tried to talk him out of it but he wouldnt listen. I will try to load more pics when my friends email me the pics they took

Attached Files:

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Impressive fish! You probably don't need to hurry to get that boat you're talking about b/c you're outfishing alot of boat guys from the bank.:wink: Keep up the good work!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congratulations on the good fishing.

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks JPrich and Paraguan guy, Im trying. I just always wanted to own a boat since goin fishin with a couple friends in Texas. I learn so much from you guys here in the BOC, and in so little time, all my friends try to copy me lol. I mean I was always a good fisherman but I never caught any monsters till I joined the BOC and moved to Va. I'm gonna hate when I leave Va and go somewhere else. I just hope wherever the Army sends me next summer they have a catfish fishery as great as this one. I have caught every personal best fish in my life here except my 10lb Largemouth-Texas, my 12lb Drum-Illinois and my 6lb Smallmouth-Illinois. Va is great.

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    You do have some great bank fishing going on...

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ramon congats on the PB blue:wink: That is a hawg!

7. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks bro, it was fun reeling him in, i kinda dont know how to feel now. I keep thinkin I want more and bigger LOL, Big Ctas are addictive. Dont know if I'll link up with another like that but Im gonna keep trying

8. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Great catch brother. Congrads.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ramon thanks for sharing the trip and pics. congrats on the PB blue. Very impressive.

10. MUSKAT

MUSKAT New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    AWESOME FISH. CONGRATS!!!!

11. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Way to go on the PB! I love them big blues...I'm betting on you getting hooked on them as well!

And...thank you for your service to our great country! I appreciate it.

12. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you for the support