applying a barometer to your fishing days

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by on_the_fly, Nov 26, 2005.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i have always heard of people refering to their or news channels barometer for the days they pick to fish on. well i have went out a bought a three in one deal its got a thermometer, barometer, and a humidity guages on it. how many of you on here apply this to your fishing? an how or what are you looking for when reading. i know you look for a climb in it but do you also apply it with temp. is humidity even a factor in reading the three. just your inputs. i fish often an for the most part i do well. i just thought i would try to add this to my fishing an see if i can minumize the bad days.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Some others will chime in with the correct answer.

As for me,I never pay attention to it.I think other factors such as season,location,time of year,etc... are much more important.
    I go out to fish whenever I can,only ice or high winds stop me.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    of how fishing might turn out, but with my fishing time so limited I never let barometric pressure, temperature, or humidity keep me from at least fishing (the only way to be catching). I look more to sky, wind and water conditions to pick the first baits and presentation, then work through everything I've got 'til I start catchin'. Here in Southwest Ohio, the weatherman couldn't predict flies on a dog turd, so I don't pay too much attention to the TV. If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with Ol' Whiskers,

If I listened to the Weather Men (or Women) on T.V., - I'll do more staying at home than fishing. - LOL :happy:

I just look out of my window in the morning (that I'm going fishing) and take it from there.

I also agree with Cook, :D

Season & Location is much more inportant. :006:

Take it easy,
    Bert :cool:

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    to me its a waste of time like others have stated. when i go i catch fish. when it comes to cats. never a day i cant catch a kitty. trout pretty much the same way now my bass thats a different story but if you work them they will hit. ive gone on hot cold high humidity low humidity windy no winds dont seem to matter.

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I bought one of those barometers and it works in certain situations. But there are more variables to fishing than just a barometer. Water temps, RIVER LEVEL, UP OR DOWN, DROPPING OR RISING. and many others. You have to put it all together in order to really determine how and where to fish. But for most of us, you can only go when you can go.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I do have better luck if the Barometric pressure is dropping. But you have to be on the lake when it drops. I look at the moon phases. This seems to help atleast in my own mind. I used to keep a record (then got lazy) and the records did show, the fishin' was better during a new moon, or three days before or after the full moon.

The most important thing to look for while on the way to the fishin' hole are the cows. If the cows are up the fish are bitin'. If the cows are down the fish ain't bitin. Sounds crazy, but my Grandpa taught me this, and for over thirtyfive years it has worked. Atleast on the way to the fishin' hole it works, by the time we get there, I have just about forgotten bout the cows. But if the fishin' is slow, I cuss them cows !

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i also have been told about cows since i was a little one. i do catch myself time to time looking an paying some what attintion to them. but its usualy after i've been fishing to see if they were standing or not. just the same with the barometer i will look befor i go an after an see if there were changes or not. but like most of you have said but i am not limited to my fishing i can go anytime or anyday despite what weather, or anyother conditions may be. i find fishing for me is more than a hobby its a way of life. id rather be fishing not catching anything versies sitting at home wishing i was fishing. me an jesus are one an the same, we seem to share tight lines together alot but sometimes i think he fishes elsewhere. althow somedays it would be nice to have the power to turn one fish into a feast.

9. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Barometrically speaking, here's the lowdown on the fisherman's friend. We have a predominately SW wind here in west Texas. When the barometer is high, the sky is usually clear and sunny. These are the days (and nights) that fish go about the normal business of feeding on a fairly routine schedule. These feeding times follow a pattern and may be fairly predicable if we follow solar charts or find out for ourselves out on the lake. Let me add that the reason livestock get to their feet and feed, especially during the night, is because they are responding to the solar or lunar minor and major "feeding" cycles, as are fish and other creatures.

When a low pressure front approaches, the barometer will start to fall. This is when we need to be on the water. The front usually comes from the west and as it gets closer, the wind will shift to the west and kick up. Hot dog! The clouds it sometimes brings lowers light conditions. Something about these changes triggers the fish and they begin to feed, breaking their regular pattern. Perhaps the change of wind direction and the rising waves breaks loose tiny plankton and the minnows go on a feeding binge, triggering the larger fish to start feeding. Maybe the wave action also causes the upper part of the water column to become more oxygenated and somehow affects feeding. Also, the lower light conditions encourage the fish to go shallow. Here lies the basis for the old adage, "Wind from the west, fish bite the best." The fish are feeding in the shallows. And we need to be there.

As the front closes, the wind shifts to the NW. When the front arrives and is on top of us, the wind will be from the North. "Wind from the North, don't go forth." At this time, the bite begins to fall off.

As the front passes, the wind shifts to the NE. As the front recedes, the wind shifts to the east. "Wind from the East, fish bite the least."

Perhaps they are full by now because here's where they move from the shallows to deeper water. They will stage at depths of 10 foot or so. However, they may still respond in a feeding manner, such as sucking or chewing on your bait, but not always actually consuming it. In other words, they are still active but not much.

The farther away the front gets, the wind moves to the SE and by the time the front is far enough in the distance, the wind will be back to the South and SW. "Wind from the south blows in the fishes mouth."

The barometer will return to it's high readings of around 32 or so. (Fish for them in water at least 10 foot deep, if you must, for three days after a front passes. After that, they will go back to their normal feeding pattern.) This means they will come into the shallows to feed following the minor and major feeding periods suggested by the solar tables.

We see that it's best to fish a falling barometer as soon as it starts to fall. Fish can be caught on a rising barometer or a low barometer, but the chances are not as good.

When these fronts arrive every three or four days, the feeding cycles can really be knocked for a loop, making the cats hard to catch.

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I can remember as a youth, my grandfather wouldn't leave the house unless the barometer was steady or falling. I don't pay much attention to it myself. Just want to be out there!

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i to remember my grandfther saying about the cows and the moon. i have found that the new and full moons are the best. 3 days before and after each seems to be the best for large numbers of fish. But i seem to catch fish everytime rain or shine just find them in different spots. Never looked a barometer maybe check it out next season and see if theirs something behide it.

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    newatcats, That is a good question. I was also curious about it.

Jackie, that is a good post. Thanks for filling us in.

------------------------------------
    I too was told about the cows. LOL. It does has meaning to it.
    I also found that if the cows are laying down, run thought the field with your truck and make em stand up. LMAO.
    Same with fishing, if you dont go, you dont catch. Even when fish are not feeding, they sometimes still bite, just may be slower but you still get to go.
    In other words, stir the pot and something will cook up. LOL.

I do like to go more on the days they might bite better. LOL.
    I spend enought time sitting and waiting. I dont think I caught my limit at one time in several years. LMAO.

13. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I apply this to every trip I go on........."I pray that it's right when I go." Other than that I deal with it.Let mother nature tell you what to do.It affects humans too,One of my favorite signs is "If i don't feel like fishing there's a real go chance that the fish don't feel like eating". High pressure affects fishing but you just learn to fish it,rain,wind,heat,current,high water,low water,water temp,season,pre spawn,spawn,post spawn, high pressure,and the list goes on.We can't make them bite ,but we can increase our chances by learning to fish all the conditions.No matter the reason,fish,fish more often.

14. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

Very good there abilene,for what its worthhere is the way i judge the
    fishing conditions,if its cold dress warm,if its raining stay dry,no matter
    which way the wind blows,fish the opposite bank,that is where the bait
    fish are,MOST of the time,the only really good thing to do is if you want
    to go fishing,just go.you never know when you may learn a new thing
    about fishing,some times something will slap you right up side the head,
    that may have been right in front of you for years,some times the slightest
    little adjustment can bring bring great rewards.
    KIRK
    AND KEEP AN EYE ON THOSE COWS.

15. cook

cook New Member

State:
    5 stars Abilene,good info

Now,what if the cows are standing in the water :D

16. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Speaking as a veteran fisherman and hunter, I think Abilene has a good handle on how wind direction and air pressure go hand and hand on affecting fishing. The same conditions affect the hunting as well as the fishing. There are other things as already mentioned, that affect the fishing. Like fishing after a flooding rain. If the water is rising, the catfish as biting regardless of the air pressure or wind direction. And, generally speaking, if the water level is lowering, the catfish will not be biting unless you get those dropping air pressures folks have talked about. There are a number of conditions I avoid or I try to be on the water when those conditions are present. Air pressure is one of them. I got a barometer that hooks into my fish finder on my boat. I intend to hook it up and use it this summer.

17. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I agree with T bone and Abilene,when that pressure starts to drop the bite is on! Add that in with a full or new moon and lookout!

Newatcats,just outta curiousity did you happen to get that outta cabelas?And if so how do ya like it?
    Been lookin at one in there i seen,sounds like what you described and planning on purchasing it soon.

18. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Cook, if them cows are standing in the water, you better have alot of bait!;) ......

19. cook

cook New Member

State:
    And 750# power-pro :)

20. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    There are many things that can affect the bite. The more we can stack, the better chance we may have. Trouble is, it's so hard to put them all together but we can't let that keep us from going.

There are those who make a living by taking folks out ever day of the year and puting them on fish. It's not so easy for a bank fisherman. We must more or less wait for them to come to us.

If a front comes in about sun down, does this make for even better fishing in the shallows. Wouldn't we have an even better chance if the front coincides with the new moon? If the front brings rain, does that help. Maybe it does, we've caught large cats before and during a rain. If the water is rising, wouldn't that add to the equation? If the front hits on a "major" solar feeding period, wouldn't that help?

What about the larger cats that may only feed every three days or so? Do they all go to feeding because of a front? Being in the right place at the right time is a must, we all know that. But there are so many varibles. Finding fish is the most criticle part of fishing and being able able to predict fish movements may make our time on the lake more productive.