APOLOGY ON BIG FISH

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by russ, Oct 17, 2007.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    SORRY E1, I POSTED THAT I GOT A 57 INCH LONG BLUE. I GOT THE FISH SUNDAY NIGHT, HAD A GOOD NIGHT, TRYED TO WEIGH THE FISH BUT MY SCALES BROKE, SO I MARKED THE FISH ON MY DECK SO I COULD MEASURE IT. SO SOON AS I GOT IN THAT NIGHT, ABOUT 130 AM I STARTED LOOK FOR A TAPE MEASURE, THE ONLY ONE I FOUND WAS A OLD 50 FOOT TAPE BUT THAT WILL WORK. I DID IT TWICE TO MAKE SURE IT WAS RIGHT. THAT TAPE SHOWS FEET AND JUST THE INCHES FOR THAT FOOT. WELL IT WAS 4FEET 9 IN. WHICH IS 57 INCHES, SO OFF TO BED. THEN I MADE MY POST, ONE OF MY FRIENDS LOOKED AT THE PIC. SAID HE DIDNT THINK IT WAS THAT LONG, I WAS GONE ALL DAY, SO WHEN WE GOT IN TONIGHT WE WENT OUT TO THE BOAT & MEASURED THE MARKS I MADE. IT WAS 4FT. 9 IN. I WAS RIGHT......WRONG.... as he was winding up that old tape muasure he saw that one foot of the tape was gone, someone had broke the tape & had removed the frist foot but the clip was there....... now im sittin here with egg all over my face. now i feel about 2feet tall . the fish is 45 in. long not 57, i feel so bad about it. its still a good fish , im glad i got it, but that old tape measure has took that smile off my face. sorry to all ........rusty

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    No worries Rusty. It was an honest mistake, and I'm sure all of us appreciate your candidness. I used to believe you could use the various length calculations to get a good weight on catfish, much like all the salt water anglers use, however I've found it doesnt hold marbles with the catfish. The world record blue was 58 inches long, yet a good friend of mine caught an honest to goodness 55 inch fish and it only weighed 50 something pounds. Of course his fish was skinny, and the World Record had a 44 inch girth. Thats massive.

Just a heads up. I'm sure alot of us will now needle you in fun, so dont take it seriously. Asky Darryl1 what happens when you make an honest mistake on the BOC. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: If everyone starts needling you to death, its probably because they like you. Its the Missouri Way. :smile2:

So, I'll start off the parade. Perhaps we can now give you a new avatar name, like, mmm, lets see, mmmm, maybe FootShortRusty, or mmmm, "missed it by THAT much Rusty". LOL. Great Fish nonetheless. Nice Catch, and thanks for sharing the story.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Nice Fish Rusty,And an Honest Mistake,Could happen to Anyone.Now with that being said,Would You be interested in selling that tape measure cause I have a fishing Buddy who likes to stretch the truth, and I could have a Blast with that piece of equipment?LOL. J.D.:wink:

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Heck, don't be sorry ; ) That's STILL 1 heck of a fish !! And your honesty is well respected. Hey you never know, maybe he will hit ya again...g'luck

5. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    RUSS, U CORRECTED YOUR BOO BOO.
    SO DON'T WORRY.
    JUST DONT BUY ANYMORE TAPES FROM LOWES AND U WILL BE ALRIGHT:smile2:
    ELWOOD

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats what happens when you get stuff from yard sales, just ask postbeetle:smile2:.

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Devor;
    Rusty, your Honesty does you HONOR and will only add to your reputation and your standing amongst the membership of the BOC!:big_smile:
    Your Honesty seems to be a dieing trait among people nowadays but it fits right in with the characteristics that the great majority of BOC members exhibit.
    You have done the RIGHT thing which many Brother's and Sister's WILL REMEMBER!
    Yes, you will most likely get "Ribbed" a bit. But remember that those that do so are probably laughing WITH YOU and not at you because they have made similar errors in their past. Take it in stride because if they did not "care" about you or respect you, they would NOT be picking on you a bit. :wink:
    Again, {THANK YOU} for your HONESTY! Your actions do YOU Great Honor and bring great credit to the integrity of the BOC.
    Sincerely and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

8. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Rusty can I have my tape measure back. Thats the one I use for Mr.t.

9. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Rusty do you have a Scale that goes with that tape measure. I could it for my big tippers.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Russ, I believe, and try to adhere to the old saying: A man is as good as his word. In my eyes posting the truth makes you a pretty good man. You are welcome in my boat and my house any time you want to be there.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    No worrys Rusty, still a very nice fish. You know they get longer every time we talk about them any way so by next week you would have been good to go again.
    I think you could auction that tape off on here and stand to make a pretty good profit...:big_smile:

12. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Have I mentioned to any of you all how BIG the shad are that Rusty has been catching?? :crazy:

Sorry, couldn't pass it up.

Don't worry Rusty, Jerry told me right where you caught him.:smile2: I'll have to get an accurate weight on him. We, on the BOC, are good at Guess-timating. We are even better at giving an "accurate" weight if you lose the fish but describe good details on the battle:big_smile:

I had a disappointing situation on Saturday, which resulted in a caught fish. We were fishing high current. My pole got slammed so hard that it went from a 60 degree angle to horizontal in the blink of an eye, as my rod holder gave way. I jumped from my seat, only to grab the last 3-4 inches of the rod butt at the transom as it was leaving. After a battle in horrific current, the monster weighed in at 14 lbs!! Oh, how I wish I lost the fish and just had the story, LOL:roll_eyes:

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Rusty, no need to worry! Honest boo-boo! Could happen to anyone! I have had scales that had the built-in tape measure and went to pull the tape out to measure a fish and had the tape pull out!!!!:eek:oooh:My wife's sewing kit is missing ALL her tape measures now!lol!:smile2:Just a side note.....I just got off the phone with Bob from Coffee scale company and have ordered a set of the 220lb scales!:wink: Cause it seems that no-matter how many sets of scales I had in the boat, they ALL weighed different!:sad2:But just remember......how critical is it to have an "exact" weight on "MOST" fish caught? If the "angler" is happy with the fish then..........:big_smile: Oh, I almost forgot.....NICE FISH!!!!!:wink:

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I wonder if Darryl would like to use that tape measure on his Skipjacks?

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Skipeyes marty skipeyes

16. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    it is good to know the people on here are as good as there word .i tell my girls all the time you are only as good as your word and if you arent what does that make you?

17. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree. russ don't worry about it you will get that one that is 57 inches soon

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thats Ok Rusty. Steve taught me that trick. (Thought it was a secret) I got one in my boat just because Steve had one. LOL

19. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the info. That's still one heck of a fish!

20. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For cryin' out loud.... what's the big deal... you're a fisherman aincha? We wouldn't expect anything less...:smile2: